• Thread starter MrT
  • Start date
  • Replies 410
  • Views 41K
  • Watchers 17
1000smurfs said:
if they didn't want to be accused of provocation, i think they should have left
the marching bands and union jacks at home

Can people not handle a few bands and a union jack being flown? Dear lord, how backward we are. Flying a union jack and playing drums and flutes in the capital of the republic doesn't physically HURT anyone, does it?

I find it much, much more offensive that twats flying the irish flag tried to stop a democratic protest using violence. The irony is that they have no understanding of what the orange on the flag symbolises.

I heard something interesting in work yeaterday. Did you know that the Union Jack is only called so at sea, when flown on land it is called the Union Flag?

I read all of this post. It took me a long time. Seems like this is a working class conflict alright, Not necessarily political. It is okay to call scum, scum. Does not make you classist as some Thumped members have accused others of being here. Those videos of the cars being overturned say it all. Just my two cents.

What a mess! I'm in Italy and was reading about it on WAP.

I think most people knew something like this was going to happen.

Some questions that I've been asking myself (and I suppose everyone else has)

Why did McDowell and co allow this march to proceed without making adequate precautions? What were they thinking?

Is it even appropriate that a sectarian organisation be allowed march near the site of the 1973 Dublin bombing implying that we as a nation are protecting known terrorists and murderers?

How ignorant and nasty are some people who claim to be republicans?

Orange Order 1 - Republic of Ireland/Celtic 0:rolleyes: :(

spiritualtramp said:
Can people not handle a few bands and a union jack being flown? Dear lord, how backward we are. Flying a union jack and playing drums and flutes in the capital of the republic doesn't physically HURT anyone, does it?

I find it much, much more offensive that twats flying the irish flag tried to stop a democratic protest using violence. The irony is that they have no understanding of what the orange on the flag symbolises.
i think flag waving is a backward activity whoever's doing it.

A stated aim of the march was to highlight the victims of republican violence, it seems at best tasteless to have a marching band along for the ride.

Probably the trouble would have happened anyway if plain-clothes unionists had just marched. Being cynical about it, they could have scored a greater propaganda victory that way. It's obvious now the march needed way more planning and thought to go into before ever being allowed to go ahead.

This interesting. Saw posted it on Indy Media as a quote from the Daily News. Don't know if its bone fida

23/02/2006

Organisers of a loyalist march through Dublin have said they cannot guarantee that images of a man accused of murdering 26 people in the city will not not be displayed during the demonstration.

Speaking to Daily Ireland yesterday, Love Ulster organiser Willie Frazer said: “I can’t give a guarantee a photograph of Robert McConnell will not be carried because I wouldn’t be against anyone carrying Robert’s photograph.”

Robert McConnell was a dual member of the Ulster Defence Regiment and Ulster Volunteer Force. He murdered scores of Catholics in the 1970s.
He played a part in the 1974 Dublin and Monaghan bombings in which 33 people died. Twenty-six died in the Dublin attack.

Speaking in 1999, John Weir, a former member of the RUC with whom Robert McConnell went on murder missions, implicated him in a further eight killings.
The mass murderer was shot dead by the IRA in 1976. Images of him have been carried at previous rallies organised by Mr Frazer’s victims group Families Acting for Innocent Relatives.

Despite the weight of evidence linking McConnell to at least 41 sectarian murders, Mr Frazer defended the killer’s reputation.
“Anybody I know who knew Robert would say there is no way he was involved in anything. He was involved with the security forces and he helped the SAS and stuff like that but a lot of people would say that was just part of his job,” said Mr Frazer.
Relatives of those murdered in the Dublin and Monaghan bombings criticised Mr Frazer. Margaret Irwin of the Justice for the Forgotten group said his defence of McConnell was “very insensitive”.
She said: “We have very good information that McConnell was involved with the gang who we are convinced carried out the Dublin and Monaghan bombings.
“We believe McConnell was involved in up to 55 murders. There can be no doubt he was heavily involved with loyalist paramilitaries.”
Up to 1,000 loyalists and six bands are expected to take part in Saturday’s Love Ulster parade along O’Connell Street. The march is to start at 12.30pm and is expected to last one hour.
Orange Order members will take part but will not wear sashes or collarettes.
Yesterday morning, Republican Sinn Féin held a press conference in Dublin at which the party unveiled plans to protest against the march. The Continuity IRA has also vowed to disrupt the parade.
Love Ulster held a victims rally in Belfast last October. The event was widely criticised because it failed to give any mention to those who had suffered at the hands of loyalists and the state.
Loyalists paramilitaries such as Ulster Defence Association leader Jackie McDonald helped launch the Love Ulster campaign last September. "

spiritualtramp said:

No it doesn't hurt anyone but we all know what the marches symbolise.
Fuck everyone who rioted yesterday but the Orange order are also backward:
They march to celebrate victories hundreds of years ago.
They pledge alliegence to an unelected monarch.
They celebrate violence.
Members are forbidden to attend catholic mass or marry catholics and they demand to march through catholic areas, driving a further wedge between the communities.
If these people are serious about their religion they should celebrate their common Christian heritage instead of joining ancient exclusive groups.

Do you really think these people are all progressive unionists?

I'm in favour of recognising the protestent victims of the troubles but they should have some down without all the Orange order and their trappings. The orangemen don't represent the eintire Unionist Community .

BTW I don't support Sinn Fein or the IRA either.

deafmute said:
well considering i spent 20 of my 23 years on this planet living on working class estates i dont think i fall into that category...
!bing!bing!bing

You have the internet. 'nuff said.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back