Riot in O'Connell st. (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter MrT
  • Start date
  • Replies 410
  • Views 41K
  • Watchers 17
You're almost there. But just to spell it out ...terrorist. And you can see
that you're in the good company of all those who use violence as tool
for their own ends , the bush administration, sharon, extremists...

i think theres a vast difference between dumping a shitload of explosives on some random 3rd world country and a bunch of pissed off youths letting off a little steam by attacking the symbols of why theyre so pissed off and some minor destruction of property,a little perspective is needed on yr side.
and as for using violence as a tool to their own ends,you tryna suggest people worldwide just sit back and allow themselves be beaten down?

deafmute said:
i think theres a vast difference between dumping a shitload of explosives on some random 3rd world country and a bunch of pissed off youths letting off a little steam by attacking the symbols of why theyre so pissed off and some minor destruction of property,a little perspective is needed on yr side.
and as for using violence as a tool to their own ends,you tryna suggest people worldwide just sit back and allow themselves be beaten down?
I think it says something that you can reduce this:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

to "a bunch of pissed off youths letting off a little steam".
Why act as an apologist for that?
Are you saying that what happened is acceptable?
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

deafmute said:
The perspective problem is on your side dude. It's obvious violence sits more comfortably on your conciense than mine. I'd be more from the Ghandi school of anarchism.

In any case it seems that the rioting today was a hardcore element of
notherners aided and abetted by trouble makers from here. You and
Antrophe seem to have an axe to grind about a perceived 'class' bias
of people on thumped. I think it's mostly your own bias though,
When people say scumbags they dont necessarily imply they have a problem with working class people

Dixer said:
I think it says something that you can reduce this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlNoEqO2mUY
to "a bunch of pissed off youths letting off a little steam".
Why act as an apologist for that?
Are you saying that what happened is acceptable?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgIlZgt4XV8

very jumpy video so i gave up but im guessing the basic message is a bunch of young fellas broke into a car....?so what?
im saying that you all seem to have a major problem with working class youth expressing their anger at the system,if this had been an anti capitalist shindig with the same result it would have been back slapping all round.

deafmute said:
And for what its worth I think the selection of stuff destroyed today is a lot more 'random' than the 'random 3rd world country' in the analogy which you chose to adopt?

deafmute said:
very jumpy video so i gave up but im guessing the basic message is a bunch of young fellas broke into a car....?so what?
im saying that you all seem to have a major problem with working class youth expressing their anger at the system,if this had been an anti capitalist shindig with the same result it would have been back slapping all round.

Why are you conflating 'working class' with the scum that perpetrated todays violence? Yr the one making that connection. And yr way wrong to say: "if this had been an anti capitalist shindig with the same result it would have been back slapping all round". Thats patently ridiculous.

Dixer said:
And for what its worth I think the selection of stuff destroyed today is a lot more 'random' than the 'random 3rd world country' in the analogy which you chose to adopt?

mercedes and bmw cars?foreign owned businesses,mcdonalds ulsterbank etc and all the while supermacs kept on serving food......not entirely random.

deafmute said:
and 90% of the rioters today were working class ergo calling them scumbags is implying a problem with them.

that would only be true if 90% of the working class were there today rioting.
i'd say the actual percentage was pretty low. Probably indistinguishable from zero

Antrophe said:
Seriously reading back over this thread there a minute ago - it is frightening the levels of prejudice some of you lot have about working class youth.

I have nothing against working class youth. I do have a major problem with the idiots that effected today's events. That's all I'm trying to get across here. Obviously everyone has a right to protest but, for Christ's sake, do it in a responsible way. Are you saying that you don't think today's goings on were in any way motivated by bigotry and naked aggression? Just political conscience? I have trouble believing that.

Dixer said:
Why are you conflating 'working class' with the scum that perpetrated todays violence? Yr the one making that connection. And yr way wrong to say: "if this had been an anti capitalist shindig with the same result it would have been back slapping all round". Thats patently ridiculous.

conflating???
and of course there would be some dissident pacifist voices but my `anti capitalist back slapping` stands true.

1000smurfs said:
that would only be true if 90% of the working class were there today rioting.
i'd say the actual percentage was pretty low. Probably indistinguishable from zero

not a republican at all but to show the logic of yr argument,what percentage of irish people as a whole took part in 1916 rising?probably indistinguishable from zero....

deafmute said:
conflating???
and of course there would be some dissident pacifist voices but my `anti capitalist back slapping` stands true.

To conflate: To bring together; meld or fuse.

And this: "mercedes and bmw cars?foreign owned businesses,mcdonalds ulsterbank etc and all the while supermacs kept on serving food......not entirely random." is actually just crazy talk.
No longer a conversation worth having.
All the best.

Happy Noodle Boy said:
bigotry and naked aggression

unlike the friendly orange order marchers dressed up as an ira victims march,these guys are notorious for having their events overseen by combat18 and any other white supremacist movements local.stormfront ireland even threatened to come out in their support,you want these people marching yr streets?and as for the civil liberties argument;they are in a different country from their own....

deafmute said:
not a republican at all but to show the logic of yr argument,what percentage of irish people as a whole took part in 1916 rising?probably indistinguishable from zero....

Yes ! and does saying anything about those who took part
in the 1916 rising apply automatically to everyone else in ireland?

Dixer said:
To conflate: To bring together; meld or fuse.

And this: "mercedes and bmw cars?foreign owned businesses,mcdonalds ulsterbank etc and all the while supermacs kept on serving food......not entirely random." is actually just crazy talk.
No longer a conversation worth having.
All the best.

well considering most of the `scum` taking part were working class its a pretty logical step that they would go together

and i fail to see the problem with my random statement either.....
sleep well:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back