Riot in O'Connell st. (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter MrT
  • Start date
  • Replies 410
  • Views 41K
  • Watchers 17
with you all the way antrophe,whatever about the republican/political element,all the `scumbags` joining in are just lashing back at the gardai in the most direct way possible.every day theyre being pissed on by the police and society in general so some retaliation is only to be expected.and as for attacks on the media,theyre merely acquiescent in the way society treats the working class so are as legitimate a target as the gardai.

Shine said:
Better question those in power. Question why McDowell let this go ahead in the first place... the man may be many things but surely he is not stupid?

I'm a long ways from being a McDowell fan but I've never seen him throw a petrol bomb at cops. In a context such as today I'm incredulous that you can try to qualify the events in any way. If you want to contextualise within a wider social framework, fire away, I'd usually be inclined to do so myself but from todays events I think yr really stretching.
And antrophe, I didnt put words in yr mouth, I quoted you exactly.
The guardian are reporting that it was IRA supporters and, whats more, that they were northerners. Anybody see that reported elsewhere?
http://www.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,,1718054,00.html

Dixer said:
I'm a long ways from being a McDowell fan but I've never seen him throw a petrol bomb at cops. In a context such as today I'm incredulous that you can try to qualify the events in any way. If you want to contextualise within a wider social framework, fire away, I'd usually be inclined to do so myself but from todays events I think yr really stretching.
And antrophe, I didnt put words in yr mouth, I quoted you exactly.
The guardian are reporting that it was IRA supporters and, whats more, that they were northerners. Anybody see that reported elsewhere?
From that article:
Jeffrey Donaldson of the DUP said most of the rioters had travelled to Dublin from Catholic areas of Northern Ireland.
"We have received a warm welcome from ordinary Dubliners," Donaldson said. "But it's clear these republicans have come from north of the border and other areas intent only on causing trouble."

i guess we'll find out

Dixer said:

Henry McKeen was running around with a mic during the riots for Newstalk, and he was talkin to a (pretty crazy sounding) Northern Ireland guy. He said there was a few kids down from the north. Henry had a wheel brace thrown at him, and while he was describing into the mic how it hurt, the nordie guy said "Aye, you just had a wheel brace thrown at you there lad" with no sympathy at all in his voice. All the voxpops were just mad.

But, I haven't seen it in any of the actual news reports.

seanc said:
Henry McKeen was running around with a mic during the riots for Newstalk, and he was talkin to a (pretty crazy sounding) Northern Ireland guy. He said there was a few kids down from the north. Henry had a wheel brace thrown at him, and while he was describing into the mic how it hurt, the nordie guy said "Aye, you just had a wheel brace thrown at you there lad" with no sympathy at all in his voice. All the voxpops were just mad.

But, I haven't seen it in any of the actual news reports.

that was probably the highlight of the coverage for me.

"I've just been hit with.... a... metal... thing. owwww."
"aye, that was a wheel brace there"

Jeffery said:
From that article:
Jeffrey Donaldson of the DUP said most of the rioters had travelled to Dublin from Catholic areas of Northern Ireland.

interesting choice of words, did he really say that?

pete said:
that was probably the highlight of the coverage for me.

"I've just been hit with.... a... metal... thing. owwww."
"aye, that was a wheel brace there"
yeah, twas funny, but also fuckin wierd and scary.
That McKeen fella is a madman. "ah, ooh! oooowwwwww!"

Antrophe said:
Where exactly does one check the authenticity of their political reasoning in attending a protest?

The fact that they're not about to chuck a brick at your head for no reason is probably a good starting point.

Antrophe said:
What happened today was a total fuck up, its exactly what the Orange Order wanted to happen. But it should be looked at as an opportunity for a ruckus with the police being taken and used.

To what end exactly? To my mind, if a protest has to get violent, it's because the police are becoming excessively heavy-handed. The fact is that the crowd of troublemakers today went mental without any provocation from the police. What does any of this achieve?

Antrophe said:
every anti-capitalism demo I've been on in this city has had some element of this "scum" among the participants, usually the most vocal and militant as on Mayday. Who are we to delineate the barriers of who can take political action?

Vocal and militant? Don't you mean ignorant and violent? And don't you dare tell me that ANY of those twats swanning around with cans of dutch gold in hand at the mayday fiasco had anything on their minds other than causing trouble because they could get away with it. Political action? My arse.

I'm goin to bed.
Yee're all tired, and so this thread gonna get a bit messy. Especially when all the drunk posters get in.

Thanks for the interesting discussion and news-watching.

Night y'all!

deafmute said:
and as for attacks on the media,theyre merely acquiescent in the way society treats the working class so are as legitimate a target as the gardai.

Are you aware what you sound like ?

Jesus... em ... seanc and i just happen to be going to bed at the same time. seanc and i are not going to bed together.

The fact is that the crowd of troublemakers today went mental without any provocation from the police. What does any of this achieve?

There's indications on parts of the net that the police attacked first, and others contradicting this. I've linked to this earlier. What did it achieve? Well the march never went ahead. An obvious enough achievement regardless of opinions on wheter it should have gone ahead or whatever.

Vocal and militant? Don't you mean ignorant and violent? And don't you dare tell me that ANY of those twats swanning around with cans of dutch gold in hand at the mayday fiasco had anything on their minds other than causing trouble because they could get away with it.

Oh yes I wil dare and tell you. But first, which "twats" are you on about? Were any of the hippy/alternative/punk sorts drinking cans on the march twats or are you just referring to people in tracksuits? And why even mention alcohal, is it impossible for you to imagine that someone in a tracksuit would come on a political demo without the assistance of alcohal?

Seriously reading back over this thread there a minute ago - it is frightening the levels of prejudice some of you lot have about working class youth. Deafmute is spot fucking on in what he is saying.

Antrophe said:
Seriously reading back over this thread there a minute ago - it is frightening the levels of prejudice some of you lot have about working class youth. Deafmute is spot fucking on in what he is saying.

you should judge people by their actions, not their clothes

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back