Riot in O'Connell st. (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter MrT
  • Start date
  • Replies 410
  • Views 41K
  • Watchers 17
104179148_c07ca60e3f.jpg

I didn't know the Joker was involved in this today.

deafmute said:
sorry fighting an argument on 3 fronts has my brain fried,misread yr train of thought.....can we still be friends?
:confused:

yeah fair enough , it's late we'd all be better off getting some sleep!
My signature would almost be the same as yours except there'd be a full stop after authority ;)

1000smurfs said:
yeah fair enough , it's late we'd all be better off getting some sleep!
My signature would almost be the same as yours except there'd be a full stop after authority ;)

yay,i love arguments that dont descend into name calling and end happily ever after!full stops are a capitalist invention to keep the people down
dont trust them
:)

I've an English girlfriend and she asked a pretty simple question - would we let a St. George's Day parade go down O'Connell Street?

deafmute said:
.every day theyre being pissed on by the police and society in general so some retaliation is only to be expected.and as for attacks on the media,theyre merely acquiescent in the way society treats the working class so are as legitimate a target as the gardai.

Awww diddums, they're pissed on by police and society.

So were they also pissed on by this asian bloke that got the shit kicked out of him?

http://www.maths.tcd.ie/~z/today/

Judging by the soundbites I heard on the radio it seems that some of the rioters would have difficulty even naming those who signed the 1916 proclamation let alone having any sort of articulate grasp of the political situation.

'If you hate Orange bastards clap your hands'
'That showed those British cunts'
'Up the IRA'
'Fuckin Protestant scum'

If they couldn't be bothered to pay attention during history classes in school then that's their own fault not society's.

It's also massively patronising to the vast majority of the working class to use social deprivation, 'being pissed on by society' as an excuse for the actions of a minority.

Middle class self-loathing and guilt.
Where would we be without it?

A thousand ordinary unionist people are on the buses heading back north right now - just passing Dundalk as I type - and their abiding impression of the Irish Republic is going to be one of being penned into Parnell Square by violent republicans with petrol bombs and of having their right to get their point across stifled - (jeeeez, I mean the irony of republicans penning Protestant protestors into Parnell Square, named after perhaps the greatest ever Irish Protestant proponent of tolerant Republicanism...)

http://www.indymedia.ie/index.php?obj_id=53&story_id=74499#comment139645

however gave this march the green light is a prick. anyone over the age of 6 could have told you it was going to end up with a shit + fan situation. Micheal McDowell and the Oireachtas have a lot to answer for in my mind...

it would be nice to think the peace process has got to a stage where everyone can get along and respect each other, and maybe for the nice men in suits who sign all the deals and get in all the photos it has. but for your two brian cell 'brits out' thug with a harp tatoo and an interest in smashing stuff we are mmmiiilllleeesss away for that day... seriously

also maybe I'm ultra-cynical here, but you have to suspect a certain ammount of 'ooohhhthis will really piss them off' from the Love Ulster/Orange Order crowd... I mean talk about waving your red rag at a bull... And I think they got more positive PR out of this by looking victimised by the 'republican' menace

Someone mentioned the Guardian claiming it was northeneres and IRA supporters it also said "Ruairi O'Bradaigh, president of republican party Sinn Fein, which organised the protest against the Love Ulster rally." Thats not a typo, he is president of REPUBLICAN Sinn Fein now - seems like an article by a clueless Associated Press freelance.

Fucking journalists, I will never understand their laziness.

Pantone - your right, anyone who was surprised by yesterday should really have a closer look at how they understand Irish politics.

ok, didn't read the fighty parts of this thread but this one thing I am wondering..

I'd defend the right to march and engage in peaceful protest, 100%. There are issues I am concerned about myself enough to have marched about before and the regulation of who can and can't protest seems dangerous to me, especially when the power to decide is vested in our fabulous, liberal government.

But. The unionists do not consider themselves to be Irish citizens, nor do they want to be. So why have they a right to march on our soil? I mean... why weren't they told no?

This is indeed a propaganda victory for unionism. Its completely sickening.

Pantone247 said:
If only one could hit them with iorn bars.... hang on...
Pantone, people who get fucking paid money to write articles could at least get the names of the organisations represented by the people they cite correct. Its not that fucking difficult.

kirstie said:
But. The unionists do not consider themselves to be Irish citizens, nor do they want to be. So why have they a right to march on our soil? I mean... why weren't they told no?

They have a right to march in Dublin as they have been affected by decisions made by politicians in Dublin.

Our consitution considers unionists citizens of Ireland. Like everyone born in Northern Ireland they are entitled to an Irish passport.

I think people need to remember that this wasn't just a case of the orange order coming down to march and to stir trouble. A lot of bereaved relatives were there, if we want progress in NI they have to be allowed to demonstrate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back