Reviews (1 Viewer)

When it comes to reviews there's only one GOLDEN rule

Don't read 'em...weigh 'em.

Nobody takes it seriously 'cept your band being reviewed. Then when you get a wee bit bigger in popularity...you apply the golden rule.

Don't remove the review ... the gall of these people is unbelievable.

If you are going to put out music you have to put up with bad reviews and if you can't you're some sort of idiot that should be doing something else.

The first Large Mound album got a review in Metal Hammer that said something like "this band have put together a sequence of 10 compositions that they are totally incapable of playing properly". I thought that was brilliant (but then I wasn't in the band then ....).

Which brings me to .... rumour has it that there was a Mound review in Kerrang within the last few weeks/months. If anyone out there happens to have seen this and still has it .... we'd really like to get hold of it.

hugh said:
Don't remove the review ... the gall of these people is unbelievable.

If you are going to put out music you have to put up with bad reviews and if you can't you're some sort of idiot that should be doing something else.

The first Large Mound album got a review in Metal Hammer that said something like "this band have put together a sequence of 10 compositions that they are totally incapable of playing properly". I thought that was brilliant (but then I wasn't in the band then ....).

Which brings me to .... rumour has it that there was a Mound review in Kerrang within the last few weeks/months. If anyone out there happens to have seen this and still has it .... we'd really like to get hold of it.

Hey Hugh..did you put 'Large Mound' into the Kerrang search engine? Must try it for Mexican Pets...they gave us single of the week for 'Supermarket'. Kerrazy

hugh said:
This crowd should have the back issue if you know which one it was - they claim to have every back issue. Failing that, contact kerrang i suppose...

Re: Review. just stick the name, number & email address of the PR person that contacted you at the end of it.

Audiodelic said:
Can I ask a question here of bands who have had their music reviewed in the media?

If someone gives you a bad review, do you take it on the chin? Or do you feel aggrieved and motivated to contact the reviewer?

One or our reviewers on Sigla reviewed an album that they didn't like and I received a phonecall from the press person asking if it could be removed as the review comes up promininantly in the search engines. I've also just received an email from the artist, asking me to remove the review from the site.

In all my time reviewing music, I have never been approached about removing a review from the public domain, not least by a PR person. I have to say, I can't actually believe it.

Should this guy just develop a hard neck if he is going to put his music in to the public domain for review?

No journalist likes to give someone a bad review, I try and accentuate the positive, but I think it's unfair to ask people to compromise their opinions just because you don't like what they have to say.

It's a weird one, not sure what to make of it but wondered if anyone has every taken a review that's not positive, so personally.

we had a similar thing last year or two with 2 reviews, the artists in question contacted us asking for the reviews to be taken offline as they were showing up more prominently on google than the artists own official site.

my own feeling is that if someone can't take criticism (constructive or otherwise) then they shouldn't be in the business.

leave the review up - the cheek of that PR person. Bet s/he didnt get onto The Ticket to try to scrub the bad/so-so review you had done there - they'd have got an earful from the editor. fucksake. that artist in question must be one egotistical prick to be demanding his PR monkey does that.

then again, most bands do have one member or a hanger-on who gets thick about bad reviews and tries to "sort out" the pimply hack in question. a mate of a mate was a sub in the NME years ago and he says some of the phone-calls the likes of steven wells or simon williams would get from narked bands had to be heard to be believed. there will also several "turd" deliveries.

bad reviews are just opinions. ignore them if theyre bad, ignore them too if theyre good cos theyre probably wrong! the best reviews to read are the bad ones cos the writer gets so rattled that he/she starts to rant.

dudley said:
cory talking about us in new york??
where?

A restaurant called Mexican Radio in Soho near the Bowery Ballroom.

It was when I interviewed The Wrens and I asked them something about being an independant band in the early/mid 90's when they put out "Secaucus" and "Silver" when it was so hard to get the word out as oppossed to the web making it so much easier for them to be heard at the point when "The Meadowlands" came out. Pitchfork came up and Cory started recounting the tale of the 4 reviewers.

I think his point was that you have to be lucky with the reviewer, Ryan Schreiber gave the Wrens a blowjob review and as a result (partly) it's the best selling record the label has ever had, you guys just got the wrong person reviewing you and as a result all the pitchfork drones didn't rush out to buy "In Love with ...".

Pilchard said:
then again, most bands do have one member or a hanger-on who gets thick about bad reviews and tries to "sort out" the pimply hack in question. a mate of a mate was a sub in the NME years ago and he says some of the phone-calls the likes of steven wells or simon williams would get from narked bands had to be heard to be believed. there will also several "turd" deliveries.
Ever hear the story about tricky getting a "handler" to hold down a journalist at Glasto while he repeatedly kicked him i the face? Some people...

Unicron said:
Pitchfork came up and Cory started recounting the tale of the 4 reviewers.

I think his point was that you have to be lucky with the reviewer, Ryan Schreiber gave the Wrens a blowjob review and as a result (partly) it's the best selling record the label has ever had, you guys just got the wrong person reviewing you and as a result all the pitchfork drones didn't rush out to buy "In Love with ...".

in the case of an important publication having 4 main reviewers yuou should send each 1 a cd, not send the mag 1 cd and hope it ends up in the right hands.

e.g.: when we did the boa morte album p.r. a few years ago the sunday tribune had 2 main reviews, mathew and anna. We sent each a copy and both writers reviews were printed a few weeks apart, anna gave it an o.k. review, mathew gave it a very good review so it was worth our while sending the 2nd copy.

we did likewise with several other publications and radio stations and found it worked quite well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back