Restaurant Recommendations (2 Viewers)

Yeah, Dudley did actually. We've been a couple of times and it's really nice. Not the room itself, but the food. Not really dim sum, there are some things like dumplings but most of it is mains. They send it out when it's cooked as well, same as wagamamma.
lady lucan said:
kirstie were you playing lara croft again venturing into this place?
looking for more uzi bullets?
or did someone recommend it to you?

love hearing about places like this.

btw- went to wagamama last night and the gyoza were nasty.
you talking more dim sums in nothn star?

Fire on Dawson St, where Fadó used to be.

It's too big. Far too big. No atmosphere, despite the fact that it was half-full.
The sound system is terrible. ideally, there would be no sound system. The feeble one they have was playing vile euro-dance, but you could only faintly hear the bass, so our meal was accompanied by a faint "untz untz untz" - completely unacceptable.

The menus look like they were designed in 2001. I was half-expecting to see 45-degree arrows. Also, the font is squashed, and practically illegible, and there are numerous misspellings.

The wine list is crap. Only one French red, and it was Gigondas for €58, which is just bullshit. Ended up having a New Zealand something-or-other, which was OK.

My starter (antipasti of cured meats and cheeses) came with a Balsamic Vinegar reduction which came out of a bottle. Unacceptable at that price (~€9) It was great apart from that.

I had the 10Oz Rib-Eye as my main course. I asked for it to be cooked medium, and it was slightly overdone. Again, unacceptable. It was also served without any kind of butter, garlic or otherwise. The chips were practically uncooked. It could have been good, but no.

The coffee menu listed café creme and latté and then various italian-named varieties. This might be OK in Insomnia, but I'd prefer some consistency. Coffee itself wasn't very good either. Had the lemon tart with raspberry gunge for dessert. Tasty, but I like anything even vaguely desert-like, so...

The service was great.

Total: €130 + tip.

Don't bother with it, at that price.

One Pico,
off Molesworth St

YUM YUM YUM

we got took here last night, it's fab. Not for veggies though, the menu is very heavy on meat and fish - 2 of the starters featured foie gras, for example. Really nice rich food, tons of butter used in everything which sounds gross but really wasn't. I had a langoustine risotto to start and fillet beef for my main. Williams had quail and skate. The portions are a little small but the food is so rich that that's ok. Expensive too - starters are about 17-18, mains 35ish. Worth it for a special occasion though and the service was great.

kirstie said:
One Pico,
off Molesworth St

YUM YUM YUM

we got took here last night, it's fab. Not for veggies though, the menu is very heavy on meat and fish - 2 of the starters featured foie gras, for example. Really nice rich food, tons of butter used in everything which sounds gross but really wasn't. I had a langoustine risotto to start and fillet beef for my main. Williams had quail and skate. The portions are a little small but the food is so rich that that's ok. Expensive too - starters are about 17-18, mains 35ish. Worth it for a special occasion though and the service was great.

you're not the first to praise this place
was your beef cooked the way you asked?

lots of butter beats lots of STORK margarine

yes-ish.
I asked for it blue - truly I like my steak bleeding and waved at the pan and it was extremely pink - but not quite as rare as I like. But it was quite a thick fillet and they're hardly going to leave themselves open to me suing them in case I got food poisioning, are they? It was gorgeous, on a sort of rosti thing, with a little truffle thing filled with foie gras and deep fried on top. Side orders included this most UNCTUOUS mash topped with stewed shredded beef.

Oh god I'm making myself hungry.

I'd so go again.

nlgbbbblth said:
you're not the first to praise this place
was your beef cooked the way you asked?

lots of butter beats lots of STORK margarine

had the pleasure of eating in "Jaipur" (my spelling may off on that one), an indian restaurant in dalkey.
absolutely stunning, everything about the meal was perfect, the blend of spices being particularly noteworthy. great service, lovely music and a superb wine list.
it is on the pricey side, but well worth it if you want a great meal.

Brian Conniffe said:
had the pleasure of eating in "Jaipur" (my spelling may off on that one), an indian restaurant in dalkey.
absolutely stunning, everything about the meal was perfect, the blend of spices being particularly noteworthy. great service, lovely music and a superb wine list.
it is on the pricey side, but well worth it if you want a great meal.

Must be another branch of the one on Georges Street? Great place ....

went into sixty6 yesterday, on georges st. Place itself is nice, ate off the brunch menu which is yer average bog standard brunch menu except for the addition of things such as chicken du jour (??) and suckling pig etc. Service was good but the wait for food was unbelievable - it took them nearly an hour to bring an eggs benedict and a ceasar salad out, which is totally fucking ridiculous. That seems to be a kitchen issue though because there were loads of floor staff. I suppose it might be put down to teething problems but the thing is, the food just isn't nice enough to justify going back again, and it's over priced - 36 quid for a salad, eggs, a shared starter of 3 small pieces of bread and some hoummus and 2 cokes.

kirstie said:
went into sixty6 yesterday, on georges st. Place itself is nice, ate off the brunch menu which is yer average bog standard brunch menu except for the addition of things such as chicken du jour (??) and suckling pig etc. Service was good but the wait for food was unbelievable - it took them nearly an hour to bring an eggs benedict and a ceasar salad out, which is totally fucking ridiculous. That seems to be a kitchen issue though because there were loads of floor staff. I suppose it might be put down to teething problems but the thing is, the food just isn't nice enough to justify going back again, and it's over priced - 36 quid for a salad, eggs, a shared starter of 3 small pieces of bread and some hoummus and 2 cokes.

sarahs sister was treated was working there for a while, managing the bar, and they were incredibly mean to her so she quit. were going to boycott it. they sound like a shower of cunts.

the blend of spices in mc donalds curry dipping sauce for chicken nuggets is exemplary.

actually you know what, here comes my 2nd 'restaurant 'review of the weekend - Pittamac. BLURGH.

ramps said:
the blend of spices in mc donalds curry dipping sauce for chicken nuggets is exemplary.

kirstie said:
went into sixty6 yesterday, on georges st. Place itself is nice, ate off the brunch menu which is yer average bog standard brunch menu except for the addition of things such as chicken du jour (??) and suckling pig etc. Service was good but the wait for food was unbelievable - it took them nearly an hour to bring an eggs benedict and a ceasar salad out, which is totally fucking ridiculous.
That isn't the first story of bad service I've heard about that place.

Did you see you can actually order an entire pig in that place? It has to be ordered a week in advance. Serves 8.

well, I wouldn't go again in a hurry. And I felt really queasy all that night and the next day too, as did the mate I went with.

Saw the thing about the pig, yeah. How...viking of them.

spiritualtramp said:
That isn't the first story of bad service I've heard about that place.

Did you see you can actually order an entire pig in that place? It has to be ordered a week in advance. Serves 8.

got some bombay pantry in last night. got a new delhi special on hugh's recommendation, and the wan got the korma, both got the vegetable and nut pulao. utterly amazing, best indian takeaway by miles.

pricey enough though

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back