Releasing Music Yourself -versus- Not Unless We Get a Deal (1 Viewer)

Just to say that from my own point of view, we have self-financed 2 albums and an ep (11K for the last record) and never ever had to pay for anything out of our own pockets and even managed to pay ourselves the very occasional couple of quid. We're by no means a working ideal but it can be done.

In fairness to Waterfall, there are many bands who have put a lot of money into what might be called "DIY releases", in the sense that they do actually do it themselves, but are not in the DIY spirit and are really pitches for rock stardom or whatever the dream is.

Good point

This is exactly what a lot of these releases are.

Not all.

1174501043_1174477549_28011__pic.jpg

That's the funniest shit ever!

Just to say that from my own point of view, we have self-financed 2 albums and an ep (11K for the last record) and never ever had to pay for anything out of our own pockets and even managed to pay ourselves the very occasional couple of quid. We're by no means a working ideal but it can be done.

If someone else is paying for your records that's a deal.

But I'm not sure what you mean...

But you are in a barber-shop quartet so you are at a distinct advantage over competitors.

Do you find using a loyatly card system has helped to retain your core fans?

I can be really cheesey here and say:

"if you dont believe in your own music not to release it yourself just because a couple of strangers dont appreciate it the same way you do then there is no point in you making music"

Personally tho I am purely in music for the bitches.

Man I fucking love Deadliest Catch.

Nobody else is paying. We paid for the first record, recouped that and repaid everybody in the band who had invested and then sales & gigs paid for everything else (almost).

Then that is outta your own pocket! The fact that you recouped is commendable but not the point. You took the risk.

What's your band called?

Nobody else is paying. We paid for the first record, recouped that and repaid everybody in the band who had invested and then sales & gigs paid for everything else (almost).

no mean feat given that at last count there were at least 32 members in your band!

it's never been easier to put out your own records at a very reasonable cost. It makes me sick to hear of bands who constantly seek to "get signed", then when they do, they sell a couple of thousand records, get dropped, and have to pay the record companies a small fortune. They could have easily spent a fraction of the cost releasing something themselves and recouped a hell of a lot more, and also not ended up in debt to some suits.

What? That's what I said in the first place. Self financed. No record deal. I was just pointing out that it can be done and there are plenty of other bands in Ireland who live maintain reasonable part-time subsistence existences too.

Then that is outta your own pocket! The fact that you recouped is commendable but not the point. You took the risk.

bollox

as usual, i put up a thread which is initially responded to by someone like you or that ITS jerk "omg get awff thumped your rewning it u spa!!1"

disagree if you like. don't post pointless shit like above.
My point (and italkshite's point i assume) is that your (stated) barometer of success for a band/record is
to be able to make enough money out of music to not have a day job and focus on making better music
which is not the one that most around here would consider. I never said you were ruining anything and i never called you a spa, i just said that if that's your idea of success, you're in the wrong place for that discussion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back