Releasing Music Yourself -versus- Not Unless We Get a Deal (1 Viewer)

Just out of curiosity, have any members of Thumped actually turned down a record deal?

I've turned down a publishing deal... the terms were a bit daft. The thing is, a lot of contracts read like this - "You will give us the rights to everything you ever do, then you will dance like a monkey and work like a Victorian chimney sweep and in return we will give you a shiny penny."

So saying no is usually a no-brainer (unless you're a no-brainer).

Also, the last album we released cost nowt (except 1,200 for pressing). Most tours we've done have at least broken even and I've toured a fair bit.

Hey Waterfall, I stopped trying to read this thread at page ten so on your original point:

There's many different people who are in bands and many different scenes around Ireland. I think I'm familiar with (among others) the Dublin middle of the road scene that seems to have the most money to spend on production. Bands like Mosely, who after years of playing and just doing their thing for themselves, decide to spend money on recording, mastering, production, touring, promotion, and music video. Things haven't finished with that yet, but it's going the way your talking about. Where's the return? This was to be a decent stab at changing the way they do music. Enough of Whelans, lets try for the ambassador and a UK tour. But after the effort, have you even heard them on 2fm? I haven't.

So if you are going to spend this money as you originally asked. I'd say, use it to make proper contacts. That doesn't mean being signed first. That means knowing people who gotten bands from part-time to full-time, and who knows what it takes, in Ireland specifically, to make the investment show return. People think Ireland is small and they can do this themselves. That's only true if you have the connections yourself. I'm talking friends in MCD, AIKEN, POD, 2FM, TODAY FM.

If you can get signed, and not just a shitty distribution deal, the label should provide these. But which comes first the deal or the organisation? Chicken or egg? That's your question right?

It's the organisation. The hard graft. It's the only way to make sure someone else will be willing to invest in you. If you hear of people doing it other ways, it probably because they're friends of friends, or on your a star or something...

my points being that an album could be made for the price you were quoting for an EP and that the people who would splash that kind of cash needlessly would be the "black leather jackets and makeup" set, or as shane-o said, "Ballyfermot music management course"

oi oi oi - us former ballyer' heads aren't that bad
i've put in my fair share too boyo
:cool:
- leigh

I think when they got dropped the second time ZTT were far less forgiving then their first label.

there's a great story, that was apparantly told by glen himself on the radio about when they handed in an album to ZTT, the label expressed disspaointment with it and Glen said "well what were you expecting?"

with straight faces the label replied "Hootie and the Blowfish"

there's a great story, that was apparantly told by glen himself on the radio about when they handed in an album to ZTT, the label expressed disspaointment with it and Glen said "well what were you expecting?"

with straight faces the label replied "Hootie and the Blowfish"

wow- thats funny and depressing at the same time!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back