Releasing Music Yourself -versus- Not Unless We Get a Deal (1 Viewer)

waterfall

Website
www.myspace.com
Originally, my opinion on this was if you don't have a deal there's a reason you don't have a deal. Why would you go pouring your own (borrowed) money into releasing a single if the industry has not taken notice of any demo or gig to date?

I've seen a number of decent but not ground breaking bands release singles and some albums on their own bat. Inevitably, most fail. Some make it into the charts, usually on the strength of 5 purchases each by every friend/relation the band have. But after they fall back out of the charts, have they gained all that much?

But lately, it seems to me that the days of gigging and demoing, meeting the right people and getting a deal are gone. It's been pointed out to me that there's no excuse these days for a band that isn't organised enough and willing to take a chance and put something out. The recording, printing and promotion resources are there and much more accesible than ever. It's not that big an investment to put out a single, split 4 or 5 ways.

So if a label is presented with two good bands with equl potential, one band who flits between Crawdaddy gigs and TBMC basement rehearsals and another band who's saved up, recorded, promoted, organised launch gigs, got their mates, nieces, nephews, grannys etc to buy their single and got it in at number 14 giving them the beginnings of a fan base, which are they going to choose to invest in?

I completely change my mind on this bi-weekly.

Originally, my opinion on this was if you don't have a deal there's a reason you don't have a deal. Why would you go pouring your own (borrowed) money into releasing a single if the industry has not taken notice of any demo or gig to date?

The fact that you even thought that is bollox

It's not bollox when you've seen 18 year olds who can barely get a support gig take out loans of 8k when they don't even have jobs.

why did they take 8K loands? what has that go to do with support gigs?

huh?

I think you should do a search for all posts by a guy called "Alex" about his band Morello and another guy called "Speedracer"

why did they take 8K loands? what has that go to do with support gigs?

huh?

I think you should do a search for all posts by a guy called "Alex" about his band Morello and another guy called "Speedracer"

If your little brother started a band. Played a few gigs in Voodoo, gave a demo to a few people but no one took much notice and turned around to you and said, me and the lads are going into a few grand of debt to release our debut ep, what would you think?

You can't pick the very few success stories and cite them as proof it's worth it.

Fuck man, I'm almost 30 and have a full time job but can barely get a few hundred out of any bank. How do these little cunts get 8K loans without jobs?

Who are these cunts spending 8 grand on an EP? I want names so i can heckle them when/if i see them for wasting in inordinate amount on an EP when they could probably do an album for cheaper. And also for wearing black leather jackets and makeup.

If your little brother started a band. Played a few gigs in Voodoo, gave a demo to a few people but no one took much notice and turned around to you and said, me and the lads are going into a few grand of debt to release our debut ep, what would you think?

I'd think "who the fuck are you and what you have done with my brother"

The idea it costs a "few grand" to release an EP is bollox

You can't pick the very few success stories and cite them as proof it's worth it.

This makes no sesne? Obviously the success stories mean is can[/] be worth it

Waterfall it strikes me you started this thread so someone would come along and go "this is how to get a labels interest a + b + c = congrats you are now The Walls"

We're releasing our album next month ( April 20th- Voodoo lounge kids!)*

I would be very, very surprised if anyone involved with "the music industry" takes any notice.

It's self produced and funded, we'll make some money back through sales and.. well that's it really

The charts dont come into it

It's just to get our music out there, to our legions of demanding fans

* this info will be slavishly inserted into most of my posts for the forthcoming month

also the idea of not charting making your record a failure is bollox

I didn't mean to imply chart success = the only success.

What's the goal when releasing music? Having it widely heard, giving your band better opportunities to play better gigs, taking you a step closer to be able to make enough money out of music to not have a day job and focus on making better music?

I could give a number of examples of bands who've released with these aims and failed to achieve any of them. That is failure. It'd be harsh to name them incase any of them read Thumped but I will PM them to you if you wish. I'm just making a point.

Read the last paragraph of the opening post. This is more what I wanted to discuss.

The intrinsic value of a release is not the money it generates. And creating a fictional scenario that entirely supports your argument is lazy rhetoric.

The intrinsic value of a release is not the money it generates. And creating a fictional scenario that entirely supports your argument is lazy rhetoric.

Well if I'm to give factual scenarios that means naming and shaming young bands who've given it a shot and are now broke.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back