Releasing Music Yourself -versus- Not Unless We Get a Deal (2 Viewers)

What? That's what I said in the first place. Self financed. No record deal. I was just pointing out that it can be done and there are plenty of other bands in Ireland who live maintain reasonable part-time subsistence existences too.

"Self financed" but "never had to pay out of our own pockets" which is a contradiction, is what confused me. Apologies, I thought you were initially saying you got external investment- sourced finance yourselves from an investor

then one out a thousand of your little brothers would have a similarly good story to tell.

well done. i'm just saying you're a rarity.

That's a lot of little brothers for one person to have:rolleyes:

I think some of your costs are a little excessive Waterfall - 4k on manufacturing a single seems a bit much to me.

Egg's story is similar to a lot of bands, and I'm sure heaps of them post here.

It makes me sick to hear of bands who constantly seek to "get signed", then when they do, they sell a couple of thousand records, get dropped, and have to pay the record companies a small fortune.

Here, is this actually the case though? Surely the way it works is - record company forwards advance of X amount to band. This is used to pay for everything .... bulk of money that band makes goes towards paying this back .... band doesn't do well so it doesn't happen and then band get's dropped ..... but then it's game over. The band are not then indebted as individuals to the record company. If they continue as a band then maybe they are indebted in this way... but not as individuals, right?

That's a lot of little brothers for one person to have:rolleyes:

I think some of your costs are a little excessive Waterfall - 4k on manufacturing a single seems a bit much to me.

Egg's story is similar to a lot of bands, and I'm sure heaps of them post here.

seems? that's what it costs to print a really good quality piece. That's what I know guy have spent. Idiots they may be but you can't just say it seems a bit much.

Egg's story is not similar to the minority of bands, hence they're doing pretty well.

Gimmie money. Gimmie money or i wont do nothin.

Moneymoneymoney.

The fact that most young bands lack the reason to just simply start small and continue at their own pace is extemely annoying. A huge amount of potential is being wasted by ways of profit driven recording and production companies giving these young fellits the idea that there is no other way but their way; which means 8 grand and 'Morons' being permanently tagged to their bandname.

It dont cost nothing to make a noise. If wanting noise to be heard is more important to you than making noise in the first place then you're in the wrong business.

I just got off the phone there to Barry Egan. He says vinnie's earlier post was'nt as succint as mitchum declared; but despite that,he considers you both very attractive.

Here, is this actually the case though? Surely the way it works is - record company forwards advance of X amount to band. This is used to pay for everything .... bulk of money that band makes goes towards paying this back .... band doesn't do well so it doesn't happen and then band get's dropped ..... but then it's game over. The band are not then indebted as individuals to the record company. If they continue as a band then maybe they are indebted in this way... but not as individuals, right?

wrong unfortunately. depends on the contract but two of the bands in the "signed and disappeared" thread were definitely shafted.

seems? that's what it costs to print a really good quality piece. That's what I know guy have spent. Idiots they may be but you can't just say it seems a bit much.

Egg's story is not similar to the minority of bands, hence they're doing pretty well.

Well IT IS a bit much
I have helped finance six (or is it 7?) albums at this stage and a 7".
Even the 7" didn't cost that much per unit,and that was done at a small run of 500 copies
All at extremely good quality might i add.

wrong unfortunately. depends on the contract but two of the bands in the "signed and disappeared" thread were definitely shafted.

If a label invests money by way of an advance into a band which are then subsequently dropped it is the label and not the band that incur the cost.

depends if its an un-recoupable advance or a recoupable advance in the contract. less "packaging" costs. Lots of other bullshit, its all stupidly complicated.

It's all explained in that "All you need to know about the Music industry" book

depends if its an un-recoupable advance or a recoupable advance in the contract. less "packaging" costs. Lots of other bullshit, its all stupidly complicated.

It's all explained in that "All you need to know about the Music industry" book

It's been downhill all the way since it became a music 'industry'.
Back to the days of wandering bards says I.

If a label invests money by way of an advance into a band which are then subsequently dropped it is the label and not the band that incur the cost.

I've met one person who an american record company reckon he owes them a few grand, in reality the thinking is the effort and cost the label would incur going after him would be more then it's worth, and at the time we talked he just doesn't have that sort of money. Still, wouldn't like to have to hanging over me like that...

I've met one person who an american record company reckon he owes them a few grand, in reality the thinking is the effort and cost the label would incur going after him would be more then it's worth, and at the time we talked he just doesn't have that sort of money. Still, wouldn't like to have to hanging over me like that...
Let's see, credit card - €2500, that holiday loan was €1200, oh and i've that €150,000 i owe to Sony. Might stay in tonight actually.

It's been downhill all the way since it became a music 'industry'.
Back to the days of wandering bards says I.

oneManBandAxl.jpg

where does axel rose get his energy from?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back