Releasing Music Yourself -versus- Not Unless We Get a Deal (1 Viewer)

hey erno, could you give me the jist of albini's rant.
too many of these on the page for me to concentrate.
whitebg.gif

hey erno, could you give me the jist of albini's rant.
too many of these on the page for me to concentrate.
whitebg.gif

Just look at the figures:
Record company: $ 710,000
Producer: $ 90,000
Manager: $ 51,000
Studio: $ 52,500
Previous label: $ 50,000
Agent: $ 7,500
Lawyer: $ 12,000
Band member net income each: $ 4,031.25

it's so mentally off the hook it's amazing

"Whenever I talk to a band who are about to sign with a major label, I always end up thinking of them in a particular context. I imagine a trench, about four feet wide and five feet deep, maybe sixty yards long, filled with runny, decaying shit. I imagine these people, some of them good friends, some of them barely acquaintances, at one end of this trench. I also imagine a faceless industry lackey at the other end holding a fountain pen and a contract waiting to be signed."

uh okay Steve, did you write this before you produced Page & Plant or after you produced Bush???

it's so mentally off the hook it's amazing

"Whenever I talk to a band who are about to sign with a major label, I always end up thinking of them in a particular context. I imagine a trench, about four feet wide and five feet deep, maybe sixty yards long, filled with runny, decaying shit. I imagine these people, some of them good friends, some of them barely acquaintances, at one end of this trench. I also imagine a faceless industry lackey at the other end holding a fountain pen and a contract waiting to be signed."

uh okay Steve, did you write this before you produced Page & Plant or after you produced Bush???
Don't forget waterfalls mates The Frames, he done them as well

There were a few bands- with member who post here that got Albini to do their records

Boxes are one..i think?

The Bearded ladys band- whoever they were..

a few others too

oh right- just saw you mentioned Buckrake there

nope all songwriters have publishing companys, a lot of folks once they 'make it' start their own but will be 'administrated' by a larger publishing company. I guess it saves money, or gives the impression of autonomy. Also it is fun to choose a name that is funny given that it has to end with the world 'music'

faith no more: You Make Me Sick, I Make Music

Soundgarden, that was, methinks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back