Releasing Music Yourself -versus- Not Unless We Get a Deal (2 Viewers)

Bravest Kid In School have been making a name for themselves throughout the country over the last year supporting the likes of Republic of Loose and Aslan and reaching the final of the National Student Music Awards.
Mother of Christ!! No wonder your ideas are a little warped !bog

And you are spot on Hugh, you do just break up the band, but you still have to declare bankrupcy which bears restrictions on the individuals involved in the band. Nothing too bad but you can't start your own business for 5 years I think if you've declared bankrupcy, or you can't be a director in a company of any size. That kinda thing that's not gonna affect people that much. I'm not sure on the details but check the legal concequences of declaring bankrupcy.

You can't keep the band going cos every penny you make goes toward the debt.

Are you not just contradickting yourself here.? I cant really remember but isn't the reason why you posted this was because some band you know had to declare themselves bankrupt and how its such awful thing.

Also for the record, when we're discussing advances earlier on I took it on the basis that these bands in question had established themselves as a company for liability reasons.

To avoid paying the debts you break up the band.

So to sum up, for 99.9999% of bands:
You'd be better off quiting and getting a real job.
See, your parents were right all along :)

Check out the story of Carly Hennessy (warning it's a .pdf)

For what it's worth, my band self-released an album a few years ago. It was home-recorded and we got 500 copies made for 800 euro i think. It varied in price depending on where it was stocked but we were making anything between 5 euro and 8 euro back on each copy sold. We more than broke even, probably made 20 euro or something like that on the whole thing. We could have distributed it better and promoted it better which would have incurred other costs but it was worth doing and didn't leave us 8000 euro lighter pocketed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back