Releasing Music Yourself -versus- Not Unless We Get a Deal (1 Viewer)

Albini has said he charges the big labels more, so he can charge the indies less

I'm only joshing anyway, but there's something so hysterical about his tone in that piece that's so, I don't know, bbbbbllllleeeeeuuuuggggghhhhh..., that the whole thing is sort of hard to take

Albini has said he charges the big labels more, so he can charge the indies less

I'm only joshing anyway, but there's something so hysterical about his tone in that piece that's so, I don't know, bbbbbllllleeeeeuuuuggggghhhhh..., that the whole thing is sort of hard to take

Is there anything serious on thumped?

There were a few bands- with member who post here that got Albini to do their records

Boxes are one..i think?

The Bearded ladys band- whoever they were..

a few others too

oh right- just saw you mentioned Buckrake there

Any band should just say that they have used Steve Albini. It's not like he's going to check it out and contradict you.

3 Things spring to mind.

1. I cannot find my copy of I Am Trying To Break Your Heart which gives a good example of the one time when I feel sorry for the band in the recording contract, when the label goes, oh we're not releasing that, change it, mainly because there was a large change in management at the label (Reprise) as it got bought over by a conglomerate (Time Warner AOL).

2. Don't sign contracts that will lead to you may lead to you not getting fucked over if not getting fucked over is something you fancy, even if you think you may be turning down your shot at the "big time", which given the odds is pretty unlikely as Ro stated, you've a far larger percentage chance of getting "fucked over" - I mean burdened with a debt you aren't ready for.

3. About breaking up the band, sometimes the contract will have a clause whereby they maintain the rights to your solo work, which is the reason Elliott Smith ended up on Dreamworks (having been bought out of the Virgin Records contract he didn't want to sign by them) and subsequently Interscope (who own Dreamwork's musical arm now they realise that its not the seventies and David Geffen isn't going to pull it off again by signing loads of classy singer-songwriters) who didn't even know he was dead because major record labels don't care about you, they care about money, that is their job. Obviously this can be a beneficial relationship for both, but very, very rarely.

Now I really want to find that DVD.

We're releasing our album next month ( April 20th- Voodoo lounge kids!)*

I would be very, very surprised if anyone involved with "the music industry" takes any notice.

me and the lads in da industry heard the first stress 7inch and think ye have what it takes - we'll be waitin in the back room after da gig with the coke and the contracts.

To answer everyone's question about the 8k

5 days recording single and b sides plus cost of mastering = 2k

2 euro a piece rough cost of pressing/packing proper single quality CDs = 4k

Whelans, Roisin Dubh, Cypres Ave, Spirit Store = at least 2k for transport, venue booking, promotion, posters etc

Sure, you wouldn't need 8k if you recorded in your room, launched it in Road Recs and gigged outside on the street.

Look seriously, there's bands out there spending this much and getting nowhere. That's all I'm saying.

sounds like a crap single all ready!

sounds like a crap single all ready!

I find the 2k to put on 4 gigs most amusing. I mean,surely if the bands any good,or at least ready to spend all tha money on recording etc,the costs of playing gigs would be recouped and then some. Maybe they bought a van?

I couldn't be arsed reading the whole thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back