Releasing Music Yourself -versus- Not Unless We Get a Deal (2 Viewers)

I just read this whole thread, and it has not made me any money at all, and in fact, I'm down eight grand at least and have had to declare moral bankruptcy.

I want my money back or I'm aborting all of you in the morning.

And Pantone, my album was not a failure, it was HUGE. My granny couldn't even carry them all. Now I'm on the game.

Right, I've a lot of money to collect in the morning or else a lot of abortions. Either way, I'm gonna need my beauty sleep. Good night. Except to some people -- I hope demons eat your eyes.

Jane, I think you'd have an easier passage through life if you tried starting your sentences with "I don't mean to sound like a feminist but..."
Try it for a month love.

This thread has the stench of eammon dorans about it.

CD singles are a waste of money.

I find it hard to feel sorry for any band with 4k to spend on 4 poxy gigs.

Any band that spends five days and 2K recording a single belongs in a rehearsal studio not a recording studio.

For 7K you could buy some decent gear (which could be sold if the band breaks up) to record it yourself and spend 1K on 500 CDs then play shitloads of gigs.

I'm boycotting Film4 plus 1 as part of my "Anti Stupid Channel Name" campaign.

Also, I can't afford it. I spent all my money on recording. Or is it that I didn't have that money in the first place? Who knows? Who cares?

Waterfall: I don't like you. You have a really bad attitude and are unable to keep a conversation going with out exasperating and/or insulting people. There was some great points and attempts at conversation/debate in this thread but you ruined it by constantly moving the goals and/or resorting to snide remarks to genuine points. As someone put it to me in rep: "waterfall seems to have some amazing ability to read into post and see you saying stuff that you never said, confuses me too". I feel sorry for myself for having read this far, if it weren't for pantone and a few others, it would have been like reading the entirety of this thread.

Any band should just say that they have used Steve Albini. It's not like he's going to check it out and contradict you.

I shared a continental breakfast with Steve Albini this morning

a charming man , delightful company just dont serve him day old grapefruit!

know what I'm saying

haha

me and the lads in da industry heard the first stress 7inch and think ye have what it takes - we'll be waitin in the back room after da gig with the coke and the contracts.

ah damn- the rest of the band died in a fiery plane crash 5 years ago

Im thinking of touring with session musicians as a cash-in...i mean tribute

can i have that coke now please?

Jane, I think you'd have an easier passage through life if you tried starting your sentences with "I don't mean to sound like a feminist but..."
Try it for a month love.

This thread has the stench of eammon dorans about it.

CD singles are a waste of money.

I find it hard to feel sorry for any band with 4k to spend on 4 poxy gigs.

Any band that spends five days and 2K recording a single belongs in a rehearsal studio not a recording studio.

For 7K you could buy some decent gear (which could be sold if the band breaks up) to record it yourself and spend 1K on 500 CDs then play shitloads of gigs.

"I don't mean to sound like a feminist, but the ointment isn't helping."

How's that?

Gah, this is so tiring. If anyone's looking for me, I'll be in the kitchen.

Anyway, I'd written a really long (surprise surprise) response to the actual thread, but I'll not get started or my brain will burst, and it's only a girl brain and is already focused on my domestic and conjugal duties.

Waterfall: I don't like you. You have a really bad attitude and are unable to keep a conversation going with out exasperating and/or insulting people. There was some great points and attempts at conversation/debate in this thread but you ruined it by constantly moving the goals and/or resorting to snide remarks to genuine points. As someone put it to me in rep: "waterfall seems to have some amazing ability to read into post and see you saying stuff that you never said, confuses me too". I feel sorry for myself for having read this far, if it weren't for pantone and a few others, it would have been like reading the entirety of this thread.

Unable to keep a conversation going?

I quoted and replied to nearly everyone who made a point or asked me to explain my POV. That's discussing and debating.

RSJ, your first contribution to the thread on the first page was to tell me I'm "in the wrong place all together" for posting something like this.

As I replied to you then, you can disagree if you like, but instead of making your point, you and a couple of others posted a "snide remark". Are you saying that I shouldn't have responded to these posts? Anyone dishing out snide remarks, even at a new poster, can expect to have same directed at them.

Did you think the thread being so long would cover up the fact that it was actually the likes of you who began directing comments at me personally rather than the post?

Here's about the height of your contribution

Who are these cunts spending 8 grand on an EP? I want names so i can heckle them

Even if that's the only kinda post you wanted to contribute, I'd have no beef with that. But it's only after others began an actual discussion you decided to join in.

Anyway, the people who actually discussed and debated the opening post far outweighed the idiots who resorted to purely having a go at me.

Conor

My point about you being in the wrong place altogether for the discussion as you started it stands, as i explained, because your version of success is totally different to everyone else's here, and my heckle comment, in full, was
Who are these cunts spending 8 grand on an EP? I want names so i can heckle them when/if i see them for wasting in inordinate amount on an EP when they could probably do an album for cheaper. And also for wearing black leather jackets and makeup.
my points being that an album could be made for the price you were quoting for an EP and that the people who would splash that kind of cash needlessly would be the "black leather jackets and makeup" set, or as shane-o said, "Ballyfermot music management course" types. 2 grand for four gigs? Please explain to me how four gigs could cost two grand. Are you talking about paying to get on four gigs or what? The only way i could see it costing so much is if each individual band member got a taxi to each gig from the pale, and who would do that?

My point about you being in the wrong place altogether for the discussion as you started it stands, as i explained, because your version of success is totally different to everyone else's here, and my heckle comment, in full, was

my points being that an album could be made for the price you were quoting for an EP and that the people who would splash that kind of cash needlessly would be the "black leather jackets and makeup" set, or as shane-o said, "Ballyfermot music management course" types. 2 grand for four gigs? Please explain to me how four gigs could cost two grand. Are you talking about paying to get on four gigs or what? The only way i could see it costing so much is if each individual band member got a taxi to each gig from the pale, and who would do that?

Right, back to proper discussion...

€30 x 6 people x 3 nights accom = €540
€100 petrol x 2 cars = €200
Food €15 a day x 4 days on the road x 6 people = €360
Venue booking
Crawdaddy = €350
Cypress Ave = €200
Spirit Store = €150
Roisin Dubh = €200

When you take into account all the costs, it takes a good bit of cash to get jobless teenagers around Ireland for a few days.

I can't see how you'd get around the four counties for any less and the food budget is miniscule. You could do supports instead of headline gigs but this particular band saw this as less suitable for launching a single. It doesn't make too much odds seeing as you can break even on the door take at a headliner or play a support for free.

Right, back to proper discussion...

€30 x 6 people x 3 nights accom = €540
€100 petrol x 2 cars = €200
Food €15 a day x 4 days on the road x 6 people = €360
Venue booking
Crawdaddy = €350
Cypress Ave = €200
Spirit Store = €150
Roisin Dubh = €200

When you take into account all the costs, it takes a good bit of cash to get jobless teenagers around Ireland for a few days.

I can't see how you'd get around the four counties for any less and the food budget is miniscule. You could do supports instead of headline gigs but this particular band saw this as less suitable for launching a single. It doesn't make too much odds seeing as you can break even on the door take at a headliner or play a support for free.

Please stop talking about money. You're hurting music.
Give up. Go into international finance. You're a sitter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back