Releasing Music Yourself -versus- Not Unless We Get a Deal (1 Viewer)

I've noticed alot of american punk bands like nofx, snfu and guys like that have their own publishing entities/companies, presumably this has something to do with the same thing rsj was talking about with the company being a seperate entity for the people in the band.

nope all songwriters have publishing companys, a lot of folks once they 'make it' start their own but will be 'administrated' by a larger publishing company. I guess it saves money, or gives the impression of autonomy. Also it is fun to choose a name that is funny given that it has to end with the world 'music'

faith no more: You Make Me Sick, I Make Music

ho ho!

Publishing deals with the collecting song writing royalties and the placement of the song in films and adverts (mostly) and the adminstration of any cover versions that might occur.

That's a bit of a "how long is a piece of string" question isn't it? You can probably spend as much or as little as you like.

Fair enough. I was kinda expecting opinions/ideas rather than actual hard and fast figures but you're right, probably is a stupid question.

nope all songwriters have publishing companys, a lot of folks once they 'make it' start their own but will be 'administrated' by a larger publishing company. I guess it saves money, or gives the impression of autonomy. Also it is fun to choose a name that is funny given that it has to end with the world 'music'

faith no more: You Make Me Sick, I Make Music

ho ho!

Publishing deals with the collecting song writing royalties and the placement of the song in films and adverts (mostly) and the adminstration of any cover versions that might occur.

I see. It was the fun names that caught my eye.

Have you featured on Barry Egans page in the Glendapendant yet?

Bebo Babes!
My stomach churned.

Hmmm I'd rather not say who but there's one really 'succesful' Irish musician that I know is up to his neck in massive debt to a major label..and still appears to have all the trappings of a well-to-do 'legendary' musician.
It's a messy, messy business.

Good point. We're getting technical here but I wouldn't be surprised if the answer to your question was that Labels actually are registered as some form of money lenders.

I'd strongly doubt that. I say we all gang up together and get those nasty music labels.

Then each week we could film our escapades as we chase after evil label bosses in our crazy little van. We could sing a song at the end... when we catch the label boss and store them in our label boss prison facility which is in an old fire station.

And once we catch them all we could release an album along with appropriate fair trade, recycled merchandising.

Simon - broken arm guy - would be the boss.

Fair enough. I was kinda expecting opinions/ideas rather than actual hard and fast figures but you're right, probably is a stupid question.

There was a big thread here a while ago about the pros and cons of paying PR companies ....... was some good stuff on it.

I'd strongly doubt that. I say we all gang up together and get those nasty music labels.

Then each week we could film our escapades as we chase after evil label bosses in our crazy little van. We could sing a song at the end... when we catch the label boss and store them in our label boss prison facility which is in an old fire station.

And once we catch them all we could release an album along with appropriate fair trade, recycled merchandising.

Simon - broken arm guy - would be the boss.

We could have an ad on day time tv

"we can consolidate your monthly repayments to your tyrant ex label..."

I've spent it on PR - I emailed your listings to the Event Guide (remember Michael Fitzgerald).

Reverb rec's wasn't it? Remember hearing from a few artists they were ripped off by him.On a brighter note those artists are doing their own thing now - mostly independent if i'm right...

Bebo Babes!
My stomach churned.

Hmmm I'd rather not say who but there's one really 'succesful' Irish musician that I know is up to his neck in massive debt to a major label..and still appears to have all the trappings of a well-to-do 'legendary' musician.
It's a messy, messy business.

It's Van Morrison isnt it?

There was a big thread here a while ago about the pros and cons of paying PR companies ....... was some good stuff on it.

Yeah I read a lot of that, I'll have a look again. I doubt we could afford to go anywhere near one though.

I say we all gang up together and get those nasty music labels.Then each week we could film our escapades as we chase after evil label bosses in our crazy little van. We could sing a song at the end... when we catch the label boss and store them in our label boss prison facility which is in an old fire station.

Right i'm out of here fuckkkk:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back