Racism in Ireland (1 Viewer)

rettucs

Supporter
Threads
Post of the week winner: 22nd March, 2013
it would have been the easiest thing in the world for O'Brian to have said nothing at all.

that he went out of his way to defend something so obviously racist, was poor fucking judgement, to say the least.

MacDara

Contributor
Threads
Website
macdaraconroy.com
it would have been the easiest thing in the world for O'Brian to have said nothing at all.

that he went out of his way to defend something so obviously racist, was poor fucking judgement, to say the least.
He put defending a friend above all other considerations, and then kept digging that hole bigger so he could fit in it with him.

Lili Marlene

Wanna Get Out
Supporter
Contributor
Threads
He's coming at it like it's a PG Tips ad. It's probably gone over his head that those ads, while ostensibly sending up the upper classes as absurd, were always derived from racist coding.

I don't believe he's racist, but he is showing profound ignorance in everything he's said since, and the difference is all much of a muchness to many people of colour.
They haven't made one of those ads in 20 years! Fucking hell.

GARYXKNIFEDX

Supporter
Threads
Website
Visit site
The thing is, if he'd just said 'You know what? I fucked up. I see why it's offensive, I was oblivious to it when I did it, and I'm sorry for posting it', I think we'd already have moved on. He'd still be out of his job, but them's the breaks in such public-facing but well-remunerated gigs. Instead, he was more concerned with being personally offended that anyone would think him a racist, rather than taking ownership of the thing that he did.

I'm sure I saw that he did. But I was only half paying attention

Unicron

Supporter
Threads
Website
theformersovietreublic.bandcamp.com
I only heard that he'd been sacked, didn't know what for till just now. It was a really appalling thing he put up. Even if he did mean it in the context of what he says the fact that he didn't even consider the implications of comparing a mixed-race child to a monkey shows staggering levels of ignorance and not-getting-it.

Maybe it's an opportunity for him to learn and to consider how he goes about his life and to that end maybe there's a way back for him career-wise but it's not for someone like me to say when he's done enough to deserve that opportunity.

Edit:

There's exactly the not getting it I meant.

MacDara

Contributor
Threads
Website
macdaraconroy.com
"Only a diseased mind would make a race connection" = gaslighting everyone who pointed out a thing that's racist.
And I still believe he's not actually racist, but you'd only say that if you only care about the fact that you're offended other people think you're racist.

nuke terrorist

Threads
Harry and Phillip among others never lost their 'jobs' after being racist multiple times.
Charles and the Anglican church were criticized for supporting a rapist Bishop
yesterday in a legal report.

Danny Baker was previously sacked by BBC 5 in 1997 after ranting to listeners to harass
a referee (who he blamed for Leicester losing an FA Cup replay to Chelsea)
on a football phone in programme immediately after the match.
i remember because i was listening.

sadly if it wasn't royalty he insulted this wouldn't have got the same coverage.
people of colour deserve better than this BUT i couldn't give a fuck about royal sympathizers.
Megan was extremely foolish to get involved with Harry and she and he son will never
get away from his crowd now. she and Kate Middleton seem like awful eejits to me.

nuke terrorist

Threads
Hey, it could have been worse for Harry Spencer-Hewitt's young lad.
Harry also thought naming him Archie Bunker might be a nice nod to his American heritage.
Meghan got their PR people to convince him it wouldn't be good their brand demographic.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create a thumped.com account. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

We're listening to...

• Change
    Memory
    Cindy Wilson
    Change

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest posts

Trending Threads

Latest threads