Racism in Ireland (1 Viewer)

it would have been the easiest thing in the world for O'Brian to have said nothing at all.

that he went out of his way to defend something so obviously racist, was poor fucking judgement, to say the least.

He put defending a friend above all other considerations, and then kept digging that hole bigger so he could fit in it with him.

He's coming at it like it's a PG Tips ad. It's probably gone over his head that those ads, while ostensibly sending up the upper classes as absurd, were always derived from racist coding.

I don't believe he's racist, but he is showing profound ignorance in everything he's said since, and the difference is all much of a muchness to many people of colour.
They haven't made one of those ads in 20 years! Fucking hell.

The thing is, if he'd just said 'You know what? I fucked up. I see why it's offensive, I was oblivious to it when I did it, and I'm sorry for posting it', I think we'd already have moved on. He'd still be out of his job, but them's the breaks in such public-facing but well-remunerated gigs. Instead, he was more concerned with being personally offended that anyone would think him a racist, rather than taking ownership of the thing that he did.

I'm sure I saw that he did. But I was only half paying attention

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

More trouble caused by the fucking royal family though, another outdated institution who should be let go.

I only heard that he'd been sacked, didn't know what for till just now. It was a really appalling thing he put up. Even if he did mean it in the context of what he says the fact that he didn't even consider the implications of comparing a mixed-race child to a monkey shows staggering levels of ignorance and not-getting-it.

Maybe it's an opportunity for him to learn and to consider how he goes about his life and to that end maybe there's a way back for him career-wise but it's not for someone like me to say when he's done enough to deserve that opportunity.

Edit:

There's exactly the not getting it I meant.

Harry and Phillip among others never lost their 'jobs' after being racist multiple times.
Charles and the Anglican church were criticized for supporting a rapist Bishop
yesterday in a legal report.

Danny Baker was previously sacked by BBC 5 in 1997 after ranting to listeners to harass
a referee (who he blamed for Leicester losing an FA Cup replay to Chelsea)
on a football phone in programme immediately after the match.
i remember because i was listening.

sadly if it wasn't royalty he insulted this wouldn't have got the same coverage.
people of colour deserve better than this BUT i couldn't give a fuck about royal sympathizers.
Megan was extremely foolish to get involved with Harry and she and he son will never
get away from his crowd now. she and Kate Middleton seem like awful eejits to me.

Hey, it could have been worse for Harry Spencer-Hewitt's young lad.
Harry also thought naming him Archie Bunker might be a nice nod to his American heritage.
Meghan got their PR people to convince him it wouldn't be good their brand demographic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back