Quorn steak? (1 Viewer)

You're right - life really is that simple, we're no better than animals, cruelty doesn't matter and let's all eat dog and horse.

You're right - life really is that simple, we're no better than animals, cruelty doesn't matter and let's all eat dog and horse.

Never had horse. Life is simple, and short.
I haven't had McD's in nearly 10 years and my 11 year old son refuses it. Battery chicken sucks.
Fresh meat from a local butcher.
If it weren't for us omnivores, cattle would endangered.

also, there's a big difference between your domesticated family pooch, and a wild desert dog, that would eat you alive given the chance, fried up in a bit of oil with fresh oakra, aubergine, on a freshly baked pita.

And, what about the innocent bacteria that are systematically murdered in the name of beer, to stop fermentation?

the jains have a few words on that. it's not hip to eat bacteria from the dharmic point of view.

anyway the meat industry is worse for the climate than the airline industry. or something. i think....

Sorry, forgot to add that the steak is a foot thick.

I'm a big fan of meat. Horse can be nice, had it in Italy; very tender. Kangaroo is surprisingly tasty for a rodent. Guinea Pig wasn't too bad, a wee bit overcooked when I had it in Peru; its teeth were still poking out. The reindeer in Finland was underseasoned and bland, a bit like watery beef. Crocodile tastes like stringy chicken. Veal cheeks are heavenly. Pork neck is crunchy and has just the right amount of fat. Jellyfish has exactly the texture you'd imagine, sea urchin is surprisingly sweet, shark fin is stringy and chewy and crab eggs get all over your mouth and burst wetly between your teeth hours after eating it.

Meat is lovely but it's, shall we say, a lifestyle choice.

Steak is the reason I am not vegetarian. I can take or leave pretty much everything else in the meat line, but sooner or later I have to give in to the cravings for a delicious, aged, rare t-bone or rib-eye steak get to me.

Steak is the reason I am not vegetarian. I can take or leave pretty much everything else in the meat line, but sooner or later I have to give in to the cravings for a delicious, aged, rare t-bone or rib-eye steak get to me.

Don't blame the cows for your lack of will power.

PS anyone see the riverbank cottage show last night?

has anyone slaughtered a cow? and prepared the carcass?

I've helped to slaughter cows and butcher the carcasses. I've also twisted the neck of chickens at home too. Once or twice a year we would have an animal killed and hung, cut it up and fill the freezer. We never bought cheap supermarket meat or chicken because we had our own free-range, organic food source.

Apologies to any vegetarians who's sensibilities might be offended by this.

Most vegetarians i know would have more respect for you than they have for those who go on about how natural it all is while having their dirty work done for them.

the opposite. I'm not really a veggie (i have eaten fish from time to time) but I get annoyed with pseudo-animalistic-flesh-lust that some people express when actually they most likely would cry if they had to slit the throat of a full size cow.

edit: pete got there before me

Most vegetarians i know would have more respect for you than they have for those who go on about how natural it all is while having their dirty work done for them.

the opposite. I'm not really a veggie (i have eaten fish from time to time) but I get annoyed with pseudo-animalistic-flesh-lust that some people express when actually they most likely would cry if they had to slit the throat of a full size cow.

edit: pete got there before me

It's a messy job, with lots of blood, but if it is done properly the animal doesn't give any signs of distress or pain. The best way is to gently nick the artery in the cows neck. I've seen them just sit there quite calmly as they die, they obviously don't feel a thing. My father stopped selling cattle for the beef trade after seeing one of them butchered very badly by our local meat factory.

The most annoying thing in this country is that we have regulations that prevent or severely hinder you from killing your own food, while at the same time there are few if any controls on the treatment of the animals being killed by those sanctioned to do it, or the quality of the 'food' they produce.

Oh, and that goes for vegetables too. Would you like some vegetable matter with your pesticides and nitrates?

It's a messy job, with lots of blood, but if it is done properly the animal doesn't give any signs of distress or pain. The best way is to gently nick the artery in the cows neck. I've seen them just sit there quite calmly as they die, they obviously don't feel a thing. My father stopped selling cattle for the beef trade after seeing one of them butchered very badly by our local meat factory.

doesn't the meat "go bad" if the animal is in distress at slaughter?

It certainly seems that trauma affects the meat. As I said, it was an annual or semi-annual thing for us and one of the times we had an animal killed by a certain butcher who botched the job and caused the animal a lot of pain. Whether it was real or imagined we all noticed that the meat was not as tender as usual and felt that it wasn't up to the usual standard.

It certainly seems that trauma affects the meat. As I said, it was an annual or semi-annual thing for us and one of the times we had an animal killed by a certain butcher who botched the job and caused the animal a lot of pain. Whether it was real or imagined we all noticed that the meat was not as tender as usual and felt that it wasn't up to the usual standard.

i thought it was something to do with adrenaline?? could be wrong

i thought it was something to do with adrenaline?? could be wrong

That would make a lot of sense. It's the same with fish and other animals. It is always best to kill them either quickly or painlessly, which is why twisting a bird's neck quickly is better than hacking at it's head with an axe.

One interesting thing though, we had this really troublesome animal, always breaking through fences, attacking other cattle and humans, just generally very aggressive. Dad decided he'd had enough of her, and since he couldn't in good conscience sell her to someone else and felt we should try to get something good out of her, her had her killed for meat in our usual way. But after just a day of hanging in the cold room the carcass started to stink. That animal truly was rotten to the core.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

M Stevens & The Ghasts + Vega Storm
Wexford Street
Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back