Punks driving drunk. (1 Viewer)

Middle class values run amok, opinion formed by ad campaigns that are funded by insurance companies.

Last one I remember reading about was that guy that drank a bottle of whiskey and 6 bottles of cider before killing two French tourists.

And your opinions are based on what you have or have not read in the quality Irish papers?

Please continue to enlighten us all.

I'll tell you what's really stupid.
It's punks cycling while drunk.
They're all "RAH RAH RAH FUCKING CARS RAH RAH RAH".
Then they hop on the saddle with 8 cans in them and swerve
all the home in black hoodies listening to the latest Swedish
dbeat on their iPods - so not only are they deaf to the traffic,
they're rendered invisible by drunk drivers who are now
obliged to BRUTALLY CRUSH them just like a live Neurosis gig.

Fuck you, hypocritical shits.

7 No Tomorrow- You're still a cunt.

Having a couple of drinks and driving home safely is within any regular drivers capabilities. 80 milligrams my hairy bollix.

Also since you geniuenly seem to believe what you are saying I will try and persuade you with some productive counter arguments.

The reason you don't see much mayhem in Dublin and Cork is becuase they are probably one of the only two only cities that have somewhat reliable public transport. People do still get buses and taxis, how many people do you actually know that go out of their way in Dublin or Cork to bring their car with them on a night out? Thats just a silly argument.

I know people that are differently affected by alcohol too, I have friends who are complete lightweights but others who could drink 20 beers and still seem perfectly un-impaired, 80 milligrams may be too much for some and it is actually the highest in Europe.

May I also point out that Ireland was the fourth worst in Europe in 2007 for Drink Driving related fatalaties.

Also since you geniuenly seem to believe what you are saying I will try and persuade you with some productive counter arguments.

The reason you don't see much mayhem in Dublin and Cork is becuase they are probably one of the only two only cities that have somewhat reliable public transport. People do still get buses and taxis, how many people do you actually know that go out of their way in Dublin or Cork to bring their car with them on a night out? Thats just a silly argument.

I know people that are differently affected by alcohol too, I have friends who are complete lightweights but others who could drink 20 beers and still seem perfectly un-impaired, 80 milligrams may be too much for some and it is actually the highest in Europe.

May I also point out that Ireland was the fourth worst in Europe in 2007 for Drink Driving related fatalaties.

No one dies in Dublin because no one drinks and drives?
People still drive to the pub in Dublin. Lots of them.
Try getting a parking spot near the Autobahn or The Goblet (or wherever your parents drink) on a weekend night. They have car parks for a reason, and they're packed.
Not everyone takes the bus or taxis. Particularly married and older people tend to take the car. I mean someone's still doing it, they're catching them.

The reason people most road deaths are happening down the country is not just drink, it's combined with speed and crappy roads too.
This is where you need enforcement. Dublin's roads are relatively well-maintained, well-lit and have plenty of speed bumps and other hindrances to speeding. You can arrest as many people as you like in Clonsilla or Coolock with 2 pints on them and you won't see a jot of reduction in the fatality rate, we're not dying up here.
They are down the country every week though. Police the problem.
The ad campaigns have driving with a drink on you essentially just one peg down from paedophilia. You're a killer!
The problem is more nuanced than that.

Has anyone here driven in Kerry or Donegal lately?
By day it's crazy, by night it's just brown pants.

I don't expect everyone to agree with me but I don't think I can be any clearer.

Just to add, the only reasons why they're less Pub car parks these days in Dublin is not just down to the governments message getting thru but rather the price that they were getting off developers for their car parks who in turn slapped up apartments. Goose Tavern is an example and Meaghers on Richmond road also tried to flog his to a developer but unluckily for him the slump was setting in.
Other pubs I know on the northside with large car parks are the Addison lodge, most of the pubs on Howth road, Cedar lounge, aahh they're just lots, Like I said earlier if the government really meant to clamp down they'd just have an undercover copper at each car park.

No one dies in Dublin because no one drinks and drives?
People still drive to the pub in Dublin. Lots of them.
Try getting a parking spot near the Autobahn or The Goblet (or wherever your parents drink) on a weekend night. They have car parks for a reason, and they're packed.
Not everyone takes the bus or taxis. Particularly married and older people tend to take the car. I mean someone's still doing it, they're catching them.

The reason people most road deaths are happening down the country is not just drink, it's combined with speed and crappy roads too.
This is where you need enforcement. Dublin's roads are relatively well-maintained, well-lit and have plenty of speed bumps and other hindrances to speeding. You can arrest as many people as you like in Clonsilla or Coolock with 2 pints on them and you won't see a jot of reduction in the fatality rate, we're not dying up here.
They are down the country every week though. Police the problem.
The ad campaigns have driving with a drink on you essentially just one peg down from paedophilia. You're a killer!
The problem is more nuanced than that.

Has anyone here driven in Kerry or Donegal lately?
By day it's crazy, by night it's just brown pants.

I don't expect everyone to agree with me but I don't think I can be any clearer.

i drive in donegal everyday. if you watch your rte news you'll notice that we have an endless stream of fatalities here with driving. its not punks, but it is both speed and alcohol related, and in any event, you have to consider the factor of three guys with 6 wkd in them egging on the guy who's had maybe one, or two. typically the accidents are early morning or 4am-ish. he might as well have had ten once the adrenaline and buddy stuff comes along. i think zero tolerance is the right approach, its not necessary to have two pints and drive, its a luxury at the expense of other people essentially.
a big part of our accident rate here is actually regular city drivers coming to the country and being overconfident and half cut from thier night out up north the following morning. so i dont see how saying its alright to travel 1/2 a mile in the city is in any way hip, cool or indeed rad, its a behavoiral pattern that kills people when you take it off that 1/2 mile strip and bring it into my neighbourhood, which is what happens.
as for the folks saying that 'you have a mate who does it and he's grand' hasnt an ounce of sanity. he thinks its grand because you arent a good enough friend to tell him difffernt?? fight him for his keys?? wake up call???

Some good points there Captain a about the drivers who are confident in the cities then let rip on the open roads of the country.

Just to add to the captain's points, you'll find a lot of accidents in Donegal involve people from the city of Derry. Which is well lit and well maintained.

Still, I like how 7 no tomorrow believes ye city folk are better than us.

the main reason for fatalities on irish roads in general no matter what part of the cuntry youre in is THE SHIT STANDARD OF DRIVING SKILLS IN THIS HOLE,fail the simple test -drive home.
if you cant do the simple thing right when youre sober and not exausted what chance do you have pissed or knackered
simple rule any booze dont drive end of story ,one drink driving charge -ban 4 life FUCK THEM

Just to add to the captain's points, you'll find a lot of accidents in Donegal involve people from the city of Derry. Which is well lit and well maintained.

Still, I like how 7 no tomorrow believes ye city folk are better than us.

We don't kill each other with cars.

We use guns and knives.

Apart from anything else, it keeps the insurance companies out of the process. The paperwork with these cunts.

the main reason for fatalities on irish roads in general no matter what part of the cuntry youre in is THE SHIT STANDARD OF DRIVING SKILLS IN THIS HOLE

I pretty much agree with this, if the government actually gave a flying fuck about road deaths then why don't they teach people to drive in school like in the states for example. If you got 16 year olds doing one class a week for a year by the time they are 17 they'd wanna be somewhat competent drivers.

Also I fully believe that people should have to resit their test maybe every ten years, especially as people get into their 60's and 70's. In all the years I cycled around dublin I was never knocked off my bike my anyone under 40 and I've been knocked off my bike about 8 or 9 times.

The media loves to blame young male drivers, and I understand in some respects why but personally I think it takes away from the real problem, as damone says, that across the board alot of people who are on the roads can't drive. When I took my first test back in June (which I passed first time!) there were three women in their late 40's/early 50's taking the test the same time as me, in the waiting room each one told me how they had been driving over 20 years, not a single one of them passed, yet they drive out of the test centre and back on the road for another 20 years without passing the test.

Surely it's a risk that's not really worth taking, just like not wearing your seat belt. You could be safe for 10,000 journeys, but on the 10,001st one -
*BAM* (you crash)

Also in regard to the insurance company thing, if they pay for the ads is it not because they don't want to fork out for crashes? And if that is the reason, they must feel drink-driving is a cause of that..

the main reason for fatalities on irish roads in general no matter what part of the cuntry youre in is THE SHIT STANDARD OF DRIVING SKILLS IN THIS HOLE

Coupled with the shit roads throughout the country, this is a recipe for disaster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back