primavera roll call (1 Viewer)

good things: i saw 26 bands in 4 days, ate loads of nice food, danced like a loon to diplo till 7am, went to the beach twice, cycled all round barcelona, met lots of nice people and some of them werent even irish! didnt get robbed, sneaked a half bottle of rum in each night.

bad things: missing most of herman dune, spank rock cancelling, crap sound at most gigs, que's, drink tickets, running out of undies, the apollo venue.

i'd give it .|..|!ninjaaaa.|..| / :):heart::)

food poisoning on the way home (in ireland).. still cant eat... dirty threee, modest mouse, pumpkins... rum.. hookers... band of horse.. other stuff..

what did you think of Of Montreal?

I thought they were fucking awful, me and podge went off upstairs, then left after could handle anymore spanish banter

I thought they were great.

Lowlights:
Being skanked for booze,
Beirut (doesn't fit a festival like that)
The waft
Not getting up til midday everyday

Highlights:
Skanking the bar staff by handing in less booze tickets
Battles
The Fall
Girl Talk
Leaving before Modest Mouse on Friday and jumping into a taxi to see Shitmat play in a cave an hour away

Ah Jesus, where to begin...

Highlights:
-Everyone from Belfast being there and ready to party;
-Thursday: Dirty Three were great, Slint were awesome, I was still in good form from that so enjoyed singing along to the Pumpkins songs I knew...and then Justice, who just destroyed the place with that filthy, brilliant dance;
-Double-dropping Pro-plus
-Sonic Youth not clashing with Battles and both being incredible;
-Girls Against Boys being suprisingly brilliant;
-Soba Noodles from Juicy Jones;
-Dancing, dancing, dancing to early hours every morning.

Lows:
-Although no band that I was looking forward to really disappointed me, I wasn't that fucked with The Fall, Patti Smith or Melvins;
-Price of booze (snoke some in every night too)
-Far less toilets and more queues than last year;
-Bad pills fucking my friends up;
-Sore feet (although getting them was a fucking high);
-Almost having a panic attack Sunday night;
-Having to leave Of Montreal early because of that^

Good times.

Had a good time

To be honest, and I don't want this to sound dicky, but as it was my 3rd time going, I think it is losing a little bit of its impact.

However, there was tonnes of good music, and copious amount of rum smuggling that meant it was a great time

Day 1:
Dirty 3 - Savage opener - met Jim White and Warren E next day. Think I actually gave Jim a high 5. Result
Melvins - decent...loud...very loud
Slint - hung around for Spiderland. very good. fucked off when they started something else
Pumpkins - hahahaha. so bad I left TWICE
Fujiya & Myaki - good laugh but was trolleyed by then
Justice - didn't even realise I'd seen them til the next day. Got a cab home with an American couple and had a fight with yer man who was being an awful prick. Left cab by saying "You are everything that is wrong with America". result

Day 2.
Blonde Redhead - fierce disappointing. One of my favourite bands but all those vocal backing tracks are naff. NAFF
The Fall - bit of a skit but didn't hang around for long
Beirut - really enjoyed
Modest Mouse - ditto. Even though I know all the hardcore MM fans were complaining
GVSB - disappointing. Though thy were flat.
Left for LOW who were great
Built To Spill ruled. Best performance of festival against shitty shit shit sound. Only knew half the tunes but loved em.

Day 3
Missed Ted Leo. Bad buzz
Architecture in Helskinki - handclaps but boring enough really. Cucumber band
Patti Smith - did nothing for me
Isis - savage
Sonic Youth - ditto
Grizzly Bear were deadly
Battles were amazing. Big time. Danced me pants off

Also really enjoyed Of Montreal on the Sunday although the kinks cover was really unnecessary

I think that sums it all up.

I was half thinking of going to this next year, but with all the reports of robbings/time changes/poor sound/queues/expensive booze I don't think I'll bother.

I can get all of that in Dublin, thank you very much.

lots of deadly music - the fall, melvins, slint, diplo, grizzly bear, hell, isis, D3.

some shit stuff - bonde do role, architecture in helsinki, justice, girltalk

free beer tickets for the whole festi was handy.

sound fuck ups for too many shows was not.

Argentina 4 Algeria 3 in the Nou Camp last night was super sweet.

what did you think of Of Montreal?

I thought they were fucking awful, me and podge went off upstairs, then left after could handle anymore spanish banter

Woeful shite, wish i didn't bother. Like Patrick wolf fronting a Wizzard tribute band. Had the fear something rotten by the end so had to bolt...honestly Barcelona 1 Baz 0...I'm still fucked

lots of deadly music - the fall, melvins, slint, diplo, grizzly bear, hell, isis, D3.

some shit stuff - bonde do role, architecture in helsinki, justice, girltalk

free beer tickets for the whole festi was handy.

sound fuck ups for too many shows was not.

Argentina 4 Algeria 3 in the Nou Camp last night was super sweet.

Thought Justice were massive!! Just as good as Diplo

Woeful shite, wish i didn't bother. Like Patrick wolf fronting a Wizzard tribute band. Had the fear something rotten by the end so had to bolt...honestly Barcelona 1 Baz 0...I'm still fucked

Baz...I'm with you on this. I'm still fucked too. Remember worrying about our friend missing on the streets of Barcelona with 'brain spasms'?

Thought Justice were massive!! Just as good as Diplo

I know it´s boring to call them a poor man's Daft Punk, but that's all i was hearing.

TBH most of the stuff i saw on that stage was pretty shit, probaably because it was a soulless concrete dump that felt more like a carpark.

Baz...I'm with you on this. I'm still fucked too. Remember worrying about our friend missing on the streets of Barcelona with 'brain spasms'?

oh it was horrific all right...the things we do for fun!

Wish I wasn't so wiped on the Saturday but all in all I see the weekend acquiring legendary status. I think I can still hear the Melvins!

PS Justice was great banter, got me dancing like an epileptic badger

I got the same Patrick Wolf vibe as you but I didn't think it was that bad. But I'm with you on the fucked thing. I think I'm going to pull a McDowell and retire from public life for a while.

Seems like I was at a different festival to some here. The weather, festival site and people were all very sweet from what I remember. It was incredibly easy to bring in your own alcohol etc. The longest I had to que for a beer was approx five minutes and usually didn't bother as the beer fairy/monkey was always near with those large litrey thingys. The food was scrumptious and inexpensive. Met some seriously dead on people and yes the sound was well dodge at the ATP stage all weekend but could'nt fault it elsewhere.

Highlights : The sound cutting out Billy Corgans whining!
Battles
Herman Dune
Grizzly Bear
Dirty Three
Low
Modest Mouse
The White Stripes
DJ Yoda
Girl Talk
Patti Smith
Wilco
Sonic Youth
Slint
Justice
Fujiya & Miyagi
The Fall
Band of Horses
Beirut

Lowlights : Missing Pelican, Billy Bragg, People Are Germs for one reason or other.
Hot Chip ( great record, poor show on night)
Customs

Primavera has been a breath of fresh air on my calendar for the past three years, long may it continue!

X J

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back