primavera roll call (2 Viewers)

pumpkins were brutal. what the hell was going on with the tunics?

sound was kinda dodgy on all the stages wasn't it? apart from fujiya at cd drome, that was cool.

the last minute stagetimes reworking was a bit of a bastard. dirty three, herman dune and pumpkins on an hour earlier?!? that's a bit much like.

How were Dirty Three? Up to their usual high standards?
Off to Lisbon to catch them tomorrow. Huzzah!

well he opened with "hello. we've had a long hard fucked-up day, we're gonna play and then go to bed. imagine it's not daytime and that smoke machine at the side of the stage isn't working."

i guess he wasn't too thrilled with the times change either. it makes a big difference for a band like the dirty three, it could have been spectacular only an hour later.

awful sound bleed from the nearest stage though. i really enjoyed it but i just love them. show at atp was miles better though. lisboa will rock.

"goodnight roskilde...or wherever the hell we are"
legend.

I watched the first 30 minutes of Dirty 3 because I wanted to have a look at Alexander Tucker and I´m not hugely familiar with them but I enjoyed what I saw. I saw Warren looking really dapper in a nice suit walking around last night, Jim was with him and looked like a county counciller at a local parish function.

Day 2. Blonde Redhead pretty good. Beirut, a big steaming pile of shit which annoyed me no end, but not as much as Zach´s stage persona. Modest Mouse were rubbish and even fucked up their one great song. Low were good, Built to Spill despite huge sound and technical problems were really fucking impressive.

Battles vs. Sonic Youth tonight. I hope that August gig hasn´t gone on sale and sold out in my abscence.

Dayo numero threeo.

Isis, ok for about 2 songs, and only when the fella wasn`t singing.

Sonic Youth, truth be told Daydream Nation is far from my favourite album of their´s and there were times when I was bored, I enjoyed the encore more when they were free from the constraints of playing the album and could just play great songs.

Wilco, quite shit for the most part, a lot of it was just about saved by Nels Cline´s guitar playing when he was adding texture to the songs and mucking about with his "science project". He did do some wanky classic rock solo bullshit to which impressed me far less. Jeff seemed to be in a pretty good mood but there weren´t all that many occasions when I was seriously impressed by what he was doing, "Jesus etc." "shot in the arm", "via Chicago" (is that what it´s called or is that just some words he sings a lot). Kidsmoke was amazing.

(The last 20-30 minutes of...) Battles, I could recognise that what I was seeing was pretty special but my head was so fucked I couldn´t "enjoy" it so I just stood there like some chin stroking motherfucker and tried to take it in and figure out precisely who was doing what. In terms of musicianship I don´t think I´ve seen many other band´s as technically gifted as them, and of those there´s hardly any that I didn´t think were shit (I´m looking at you Dillenger Escape Plan).

this was pretty amazing. highlights for me were sonic youth (unbelieveable as always), blonde redhead, white stripes, justice, battles... and barcelona living of course.
slint were so boring it was annoying. fuckin eejits takin themselves so seriously. i was hoping for more from patti smith, i would have loved to have seen her do a solo set with an accoustic guitar but her band and the covers she was doing really let her down. that version of smells like teens spirit made me want to go drink from the fountains of weewee. that girltalk guy is a spanner. was bummed out spankrock cancelled. oh and got to see grizzly bear, nice set... made me want to check out some more.
so tired now, feel like coma is only solution.

highlights for me were blonde redhead and beirut, both great

billy bragg was enjoyable as always though his guitar playin seems to be getting worse as he gets older

spiritualized was fab

the fall were the best i'd ever seen them

slipping into a coma now meself, totally knackered after it all

what a great town barca is!!! if i win the lotto i'm off

shattered. sunburnt. sleepy.

highlights....
slint
low
the fall
band of horses
modest mouse
eristoff black with lemon
absence of mud
barcelona

lowlights....
queuing
confirmation email, ticket, wristband, swipe card - was there really any need for ALL of that?
missing dirty three due to scheuduling antics
battles cancelling at atp

some snaps

band of horses.JPG
band of horses

johnny marr.JPG
johnny marr

mark e. smith.JPG
mark e smith

pajo, slint.JPG
david pajo

Highlights -

The Fall
Of Montreal
Apples In Stereo
Buzzcocks (for Diggle alone)
Chromeo
Portastatic
Justice
Melvins
AIH
Band Of Horses (what I caught)
Black Mountain
People Are Germs (what the fuck!!)

Lows -
Battles Shmattles (overhyped in buzz with two or three ok songs)
Pumpkins (new shit was awful as was Corgans get up)
No Spank Rock
Bonde Do Role (expected better)

Better than last year??

no.........

Better than any festival that you'd pay 200 quid to see here??

YES!!

bests
battles
fujiya & miyagi
matt elliot
man like me

disappointments
quite a few... sonic youth, slint (booorrring), pumpkins, the good the bad's oliver twist thing just looked kinda sad ...

terrible sound on almost all the stages...

justice were good but are a bit green still with the live set i thought... modest mouse were pretty cool but too many people at the atp stage...

outrageous carry on with the showtimes, maddest one being telling everyone all day friday that they'd swapped hot chip's friday slot with battles' saturday one. and then hot chip appeared onstage at 3.30 on friday and nobody knew about it! genius.

As mentioned in the festivals on your todd thread, my major lowlight of the weekend was getting my wallet stolen at the baggage carosel in Girona airport upon arrival. Cash, visa and bank cards gone leaving me without one euro and totally stranded. Fun times.

Got to the festival eventually 9.30pm Saturday night, saw some Patti Smith from a distance. Watched some god awful Good Bad & Queen, Sonic Youth were great, caught a little Grizzly Bear, then settled myself in for some Wilco, who'll always make me incredibly happy. Finished off with Battles, when it all gets very blurry. Bloody great festival, next year I'll make it for the whole duration and bring a pile of friends.

Can I also say thank you to the boys of Spain for giving me some major eye candy. Miaow.

As mentioned in the festivals on your todd thread, my major lowlight of the weekend was getting my wallet stolen at the baggage carosel in Girona airport upon arrival. Cash, visa and bank cards gone leaving me without one euro and totally stranded. Fun times.

I had a similar welcome to Spain a few years ago. Never travel there without my money belt now, no matter how stupid it looks when I reach into my crotch for some cash.

Can I also say thank you to the boys of Spain for giving me some major eye candy. Miaow

There were Spanish boys there too? All I saw was thousands of pasty Irish people.:)

bestest:
melvins, wilco, low, blonde redhead, pelican (i wasn't expecting to like them at all!), built to spill (weird set, but really great), band of horses, sonic youth.

of the rest:
modest mouse - meh
grizzly bear - someone want to explain to me the big deal is here? BORING!!!
$lint - why?
smashing pumpkins - they played 'hummer' which was amazing, and few other classics but billy is such a fucking idiot. and i'd say ken and barbie will last about 3 months too.
isis - dissapointing.

the €3 beers were a fucking joke, as was the drink ticket set-up. only found the €1 jaggermeister shots on the last night. and it was a looonnng night.

it was my first time and barcelona and i really liked it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back