pat ingoldsby (1 Viewer)

japeo

Since 2000
Website
www.theredneckmanifesto.com
is fucking cool.

i bought a couple of books and a cd off him the other day in town and he has some great poems. people remember him as pat's chat with a chicken phone on his head and that but some of his stuff is really moving.

he was telling me that not many stop to buy his shit these days and it seemed like he was getting a bit bitter or something which was sad to see.

i would fucking love to see some episodes of pat's chat again.

my hero pat.

richie im as we speak making a documentary about him. its gonna be really good. he basically told me just to turn the camera on and 'the magic will happen'.

oh yeah i think i know what you mean about the bitterness. that changed though during the week. he sold about 6 books in a half hour while i was chatting to him. he was delighted.

he is probably my favourite person to talk to. and the time we had him for dinner was just gas.

he was telling me that not many stop to buy his shit these days and it seemed like he was getting a bit bitter or something which was sad to see.

actually i dont think bitter is the word to use. its more disheartening for him. but he was saying that its not just him. its any other sellers in town. it was gas too cos he said he only needed some money to get his heart pressure tablets! haha.
which books did you get richie?
his work is the only poetry ive ever really adored.

actually i dont think bitter is the word to use. its more disheartening for him. but he was saying that its not just him. its any other sellers in town. it was gas too cos he said he only needed some money to get his heart pressure tablets! haha.
which books did you get richie?
his work is the only poetry ive ever really adored.

no way, that's cool you are making that documentary dude! did you get any pat's chat footage?

i bought if you don't tell anybody i won't (which i already had, i got it as a present for somebody) and see liz she spins

yeah i probaly didn't mean bitter, he was probably just in a fowler the couple of times i saw him. when i was chatting to him though he was in good form. a fucking serious dude.

no way, that's cool you are making that documentary dude! did you get any pat's chat footage?

i bought if you don't tell anybody i won't (which i already had, i got it as a present for somebody) and see liz she spins

yeah i probaly didn't mean bitter, he was probably just in a fowler the couple of times i saw him. when i was chatting to him though he was in good form. a fucking serious dude.
yeah id love to. but i dont think i can afford it! its all in rte's hands. be deadly though.

cups of tea are religiously referred to in my house as cupan tae o'tooles, to this day.
and good old spindle the spider

i was on pats chat when i was a young st Catherines attending kid. it was great fun. I got to wear a wig and everything. ive only seen the video once though. Funny shit

Hes brilliant, I used to work in a bank and he came in one day with a shit load of stuff to deposit/withdraw/etc, and I filled out all his forms and sorted everything out so he didnt have to do anything bar stand there and tell me stories.He was telling me about two junkies behind him on the bus,one admiring the others tattoo,and the tattood one saying " ahhh thanks.... I dont even remember getting it done"
Made my day.
Love his signs too
"Nice poems,not very many hard words"

I went through a phase of buying his books a few years ago. Can't find any now. I think I lent them to people. Really loved his stuff. Very accessible and very moving. I must buy some more from him next time I see him. Can't wait for that documentary.

A Present To Myself - Pat Ingoldsby
I have decided to slow myself down significantly this year. No more crazy rushing or panicking or hyperactive pressure. I've made a start by doing a very simple calculation. 365 days during which I shall be awake for approximately sixteen hours each day. That works out as 350,400 minutes. No matter which way you look at it that is a super-abundance of time. It's the perfect answer to give to the negative voices inside my head. "No Pat... you couldn't possibly write a new play this year... that sort of thing takes AGES!" But I've got ages, thank you very much... I've got 350,400 magnificent gilt edged minutes... I'll work it out for you in seconds if you like.
With so much time on my side this year I'm going to really experience and taste and feel every single thing that I do.
No more hurried breakfasts or gobbled dinners with one eye on my food and the other on the clock. This year it's going to be: "Good morning toast-I now propose to cover you very slowly with delicious apple jelly and then I'm going to consciously enjoy every lazy relaxed chew."
From now on I'm going to concentrate on only being as busy as I choose to be. The generally accepted consensus seems to be that unless you are rushed off you feet, up to your eyes and put to the pin of your collar, there is something very wrong with your life. Frantic, wild-eyed people keep dashing up to me and asking: "Are they keeping you busy?"... or "Busy are we?" They ask the question with manic high-energy and are only programmed to respond to a "Yes thank God" answer with "That's a good complaint!"
I never want to be so busy anymore that I don't notice morning rain on cobwebs, a snail wandering up the side of my house and heading towards the roof, a baby trying to catch its own toes. This year, armed with my bounty of over 350 thousand minutes I'm going to pause and say: "Good morning spider, thank you for weaving such silver perfection outside my front door. Hello there snail... I hope you enjoy the view when you get to the top. If you look over towards the two big red chimneys you should be able to see Dun Laoghaire from here."
It's been a long time now since I climbed a tree... so I'm going to. I'm going to get the 42 bus out to Malahide and find a nice easy one. When I get to the top I'm going to stay there for a while and listen and I'm not coming down again until I hear a seagull scream.
It's been many years now since I rolled down a hill... so I'm going to. I'm going to put on some old clothes and get a bus out to Bushy Park because my sister tells me there are some brilliant hills out there... she has actually tested them.
I've made a list of all my 'It's been a long times' and I'm going to have great fun doing them all again... once or twice or even three times. I'm going to hold a shell up to my ear and listen to the ocean, reach through the autumn leaves and kick them high up into the air, buy a quarter pound of clove sweets and really take my time over each one. I'm going to fly a coloured kite on Dollymount Strand and if anyone asks me for a go I might let them hold the string for a while but not for too long. I'm going to build sandcastles and stick a white feather into the top of each one, dig a tunnel and watch the sea filling it up, press the little bubbles on seaweed and hear them going pop, stand on my head and see if the money falls out of my pockets... I've got so many exciting 'It's been a long times' on my list and I've got loads of glorious time in which to do them all again.
I read last year in the Farming Supplement of a daily paper that there are 1.4 million pigs in Ireland. I can't remember when I last saw one so I'm going to see a pig... if the farmer lets me I'm also going to hold a tiny chicken in my hand, milk a cow, pet a donkey and actually watch a cockerel doing his 'Cock-a-doodle-do'. That is something I have never seen. I suspect that they only ever do it when nobody is looking so I'm going to cover my eyes and pretend.
I signed a receipt on the first day of this year... "Received with thanks... the gift of 350,400 minutes." Now I'm going to live them.

A Present To Myself - Pat Ingoldsby
I have decided to slow myself down significantly this year. No more crazy rushing or panicking or hyperactive pressure. I've made a start by doing a very simple calculation. 365 days during which I shall be awake for approximately sixteen hours each day. That works out as 350,400 minutes. No matter which way you look at it that is a super-abundance of time. It's the perfect answer to give to the negative voices inside my head. "No Pat... you couldn't possibly write a new play this year... that sort of thing takes AGES!" But I've got ages, thank you very much... I've got 350,400 magnificent gilt edged minutes... I'll work it out for you in seconds if you like.
With so much time on my side this year I'm going to really experience and taste and feel every single thing that I do.
No more hurried breakfasts or gobbled dinners with one eye on my food and the other on the clock. This year it's going to be: "Good morning toast-I now propose to cover you very slowly with delicious apple jelly and then I'm going to consciously enjoy every lazy relaxed chew."
From now on I'm going to concentrate on only being as busy as I choose to be. The generally accepted consensus seems to be that unless you are rushed off you feet, up to your eyes and put to the pin of your collar, there is something very wrong with your life. Frantic, wild-eyed people keep dashing up to me and asking: "Are they keeping you busy?"... or "Busy are we?" They ask the question with manic high-energy and are only programmed to respond to a "Yes thank God" answer with "That's a good complaint!"
I never want to be so busy anymore that I don't notice morning rain on cobwebs, a snail wandering up the side of my house and heading towards the roof, a baby trying to catch its own toes. This year, armed with my bounty of over 350 thousand minutes I'm going to pause and say: "Good morning spider, thank you for weaving such silver perfection outside my front door. Hello there snail... I hope you enjoy the view when you get to the top. If you look over towards the two big red chimneys you should be able to see Dun Laoghaire from here."
It's been a long time now since I climbed a tree... so I'm going to. I'm going to get the 42 bus out to Malahide and find a nice easy one. When I get to the top I'm going to stay there for a while and listen and I'm not coming down again until I hear a seagull scream.
It's been many years now since I rolled down a hill... so I'm going to. I'm going to put on some old clothes and get a bus out to Bushy Park because my sister tells me there are some brilliant hills out there... she has actually tested them.
I've made a list of all my 'It's been a long times' and I'm going to have great fun doing them all again... once or twice or even three times. I'm going to hold a shell up to my ear and listen to the ocean, reach through the autumn leaves and kick them high up into the air, buy a quarter pound of clove sweets and really take my time over each one. I'm going to fly a coloured kite on Dollymount Strand and if anyone asks me for a go I might let them hold the string for a while but not for too long. I'm going to build sandcastles and stick a white feather into the top of each one, dig a tunnel and watch the sea filling it up, press the little bubbles on seaweed and hear them going pop, stand on my head and see if the money falls out of my pockets... I've got so many exciting 'It's been a long times' on my list and I've got loads of glorious time in which to do them all again.
I read last year in the Farming Supplement of a daily paper that there are 1.4 million pigs in Ireland. I can't remember when I last saw one so I'm going to see a pig... if the farmer lets me I'm also going to hold a tiny chicken in my hand, milk a cow, pet a donkey and actually watch a cockerel doing his 'Cock-a-doodle-do'. That is something I have never seen. I suspect that they only ever do it when nobody is looking so I'm going to cover my eyes and pretend.
I signed a receipt on the first day of this year... "Received with thanks... the gift of 350,400 minutes." Now I'm going to live them.

This is pure gold. I'd totally forgotten about him, feel bad about that.
Seems like a buzzer.

my dad went to school with him. says he was a nice kid too. used to like pat's pals/pat's chat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back