Ruby Dee - American Gangster
Saoirse Ronan - Atonement
Amy Ryan - Gone Baby Gone
Tilda Swinton - Michael Clayton

Best Supporting Actor:
Philip Seymour Hoffman- Charlie Wilson's War
Tom Wilkinson-Michael Clayton
Javier Bardem-No Country for Old Men
Casey Affleck- The Assination of Robert Ford..
Hal Holbrook- Into the Wild

Best Actress:
Ellen Page- Juno
Laure Linney- The Savages
Cate Blanchett- Elizabeth- the Golden Age
Marion Cottilard- La Vie en Rose
Julie Christe- Away from her

Best Actor:
Daniel Day Lewis- There will be Blood
Tommy Lee Jones- In the Valley of Elah
George Clooney- Michael Clayton
Johnny Depp- Sweeney Todd
Viggo Mortenson- Eastern Promises

Best Director:
Ethan and Joel Coen- No Country for Old Men
Jason Reitman- Juno
Julien Schnebel(sp?)- The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
Tony Gilroy- Michael Clayton
Paul Thomas Anderson- There Will be Blood

Best Film:
Michael Clayton
Atonement
Juno
No Country for Old Men
There Will be Blood

I'm glad Juno got a few..and Ellen Page for Best Actress?Yay!!
What yiz think?

i think it's a nice movie, but hardly oscar-worthy

I dunno..It's character driven and an overcoming adversity type piece plus the Academy are loving the nomination for the old 'indie' film..I doubt it'll win anything but I'm glad it's nominated none the less..

Once is up for Best Original Song.

Falling Slowly” from “Once”
(Fox Searchlight)
Music and Lyric by Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova

Happy Working Song” from “Enchanted”
(Walt Disney)
Music by Alan Menken
Lyric by Stephen Schwartz

Raise It Up” from “August Rush”
(Warner Bros.)
Nominees to be determined

So Close” from “Enchanted”
(Walt Disney)
Music by Alan Menken

That’s How You Know” from “Enchanted”
(Walt Disney)
Music by Alan Menken
i'm seeing a bit of a pattern there

edit:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

they totally deserve to win though

i swear i've seen these same people nominated every year. nice to see saoirse ronan there, and cate, and laura linney. as for tilda swinton in michael clayton? are you FUCKING kidding me????? awful movie, and AWFUL 'acting' on her part. just dreadful.

hal holbrook needs to take the best actor role home with him. he was amazing in Into the Wild.

i need to go and beat someone up now for seeing Michael Clayton get so many god damn mentions. seriously - the panel must be up their own holes.

Nice to see Hal Holbrook get a nod & he may win because he's nearly dead but I reckon Javier Bardem has that category sewn up with his convincing portrait of Lego-man as serial-killer.

The Academy Awards are reknown for mixing up Best Director with Best Film so I expect Julien Schnabel & No Country For Old Men to pick up the gongs there.

Another statue for Danny Day's hamtastic turn in There Will Be Furniture Chewed. The competition's a bit pish.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

better win

Nice to see Hal Holbrook get a nod & he may win because he's nearly dead but I reckon Javier Bardem has that category sewn up with his convincing portrait of Lego-man as serial-killer.

The Academy Awards are reknown for mixing up Best Director with Best Film so I expect Julien Schnabel & No Country For Old Men to pick up the gongs there.

Another statue for Danny Day's hamtastic turn in There Will Be Furniture Chewed. The competition's a bit pish.

While awards are only awards, the Oscars seem to maintain some importance, so I'll go on record as saying I thought it was a fucking disgrace that Daniel Day Lewis didn't win the Oscar for Gangs Of New York.

This is the time of year when all the daycent fillums will be hitting our screens at least... something to take away from Blockbusters and January pissing rain.

Also, haven't seen Once yet but didn't like that song up the thread at all. Like a lifeless version of "You Really Got A Hold On Me" with lots of Dublin busker clichés in the video. Surely you'd get kicked out of Waltons for that behaviour anyway.

i swear i've seen these same people nominated every year. nice to see saoirse ronan there, and cate, and laura linney. as for tilda swinton in michael clayton? are you FUCKING kidding me????? awful movie, and AWFUL 'acting' on her part. just dreadful.

hal holbrook needs to take the best actor role home with him. he was amazing in Into the Wild.

i need to go and beat someone up now for seeing Michael Clayton get so many god damn mentions. seriously - the panel must be up their own holes.

i was really looking forward to seeing Michael Clayton - is it really that bad?

Clooney's new one looks awesome.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/universal/leatherheads/

The man's a comic genius.

leatherheads looks awesome..renee zellweger drives me mad but clooney can light up a screen like no one else..plus its got johnny k...yummm..

but anyways back to the nominations:
Is this the first time that both of the Coen Brothers have been nominated for Best Director?

While awards are only awards, the Oscars seem to maintain some importance, so I'll go on record as saying I thought it was a fucking disgrace that Daniel Day Lewis didn't win the Oscar for Gangs Of New York.

Yeah that was a first-rate Robert DeNiro impression.

Surely the Oscars are all about who's wearing what and Zionists?

Is this the first time that both of the Coen Brothers have been nominated for Best Director?

I'm pretty sure it is. I think Joel was nominated for 'Fargo' and neither for any of their other films.

Is Roderick Jaynes up for 'Editing' again, I wonder?

The Oscars are a load of shite and shouldn't be considered even slightly important. However I'm always curious and love to baulk at the nonsense that gets nominated every year. What can i say, not quite as bad as last year's parade of bullshit. However. Michael fuckin' Clayton. Are we having a laugh? I fancy the fuck out of Tilda Swinton and therefore think everything about her is brilliant. But this fuckin John Grisham dressed up as political drama codswallop? Another major gripe - CASEY AFFLECK IS THE LEAD CHARACTER IN JESSE JAMES. \Brad Pitt is hardly in it. Absolutely ridiculous that Affleck isn't up for best actor and serious bullshit that Sam Rockwell's heartbreaking turn as Charley Ford wasn't already given the best supporting Oscar, let alone not even nominated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back