Wind/Barley/Loach/Unbritish etc (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter old
  • Start date
  • Replies 66
  • Views 5K
  • Watchers 1
he came 10th in a BBC poll about the 100 great Britons in 2002, that's why I say it. I doubt most people know how he and his son were totally turned on towards the end. There's obviously something taught in school or some sort of race memory about him which is positive rather than negative.

JohnnyRaz said:
I thought they woudl have had a more mixed oppinion on him, regardless of dodgy doings done on his orders in ireland. Given that years after he died his corpse was disinterred and lynched. But then again, the only english person Im in regular contact with these days in my granny, who hasnt actually lived in england since the 1640s

kirstie said:
he came 10th in a BBC poll about the 100 great Britons in 2002, that's why I say it. I doubt most people know how he and his son were totally turned on towards the end. There's obviously something taught in school or some sort of race memory about him which is positive rather than negative.

that was a perfectly cromulent poll

Pissed off.

charlesdance.jpg

c0De_n1NjA said:
that was a perfectly cromulent poll

cromulent indeed. empire builders, industrialists, tyrants, scientists, artists, ok, but fucking princess di, what a joke

Isambard Kingdom Brunel
Winston Churchill
Oliver Cromwell
Charles Darwin
Diana, Princess of Wales
Queen Elizabeth I
John Lennon
Horatio Nelson
Isaac Newton
William Shakespeare

JohnnyRaz said:
I thought they woudl have had a more mixed oppinion on him, regardless of dodgy doings done on his orders in ireland. Given that years after he died his corpse was disinterred and lynched. But then again, the only english person Im in regular contact with these days in my granny, who hasnt actually lived in england since the 1640s

Yeah, I'm English, learnt history during Thatcher's reign of terror and still we were taught that Cromwell was a bit of a cunt. Maybe we had a very royalist teacher or summat.

My mum on the other had was taught that the Empire was a GOOD THING and if it weren't for us plucky Brits, those poor Darkies would have been awful hungry n shit.

I think it's obvious that we're talking about a certain generation in those Tory rags. What did the Irish Daily Mail think of it does anyone know?

That there is an Irish Daily Mail still makes me chuckle, though there's enough racists and bigots to buy into their way of thinking...

apparently they thought it was great, as did the irish sun!
ha ha!

ah lordy.

Catwoman said:
I think it's obvious that we're talking about a certain generation in those Tory rags. What did the Irish Daily Mail think of it does anyone know?

That there is an Irish Daily Mail still makes me chuckle, though there's enough racists and bigots to buy into their way of thinking...

JohnnyRaz said:
Isambard Kingdom Brunel
Winston Churchill
Oliver Cromwell
Charles Darwin
Diana, Princess of Wales
Queen Elizabeth I
John Lennon
Horatio Nelson
Isaac Newton
William Shakespeare
I think that list is wrong, I can't see Peter Crouch mentioned anywhere.

Ernest Shackleton was on it too, but he's from Kildare if I am not mistaken.

Stan Bowles said:
I think that list is wrong, I can't see Peter Crouch mentioned anywhere.

Catwoman said:
What did the Irish Daily Mail think of it does anyone know?

well

Sunday Independent said:
Two-faced tabloids sneer at film success but not in Irish editions

DANIEL MCCONNELL

TWO British newspapers gave their readers in Britain and Ireland very different versions of their feelings towards the success of Ken Loach's new Irish film The Wind That Shakes the Barley which won the prestigious Palme D'Or at Cannes.

The Sun and the Daily Mail newspapers both last week hypocritically feigned delight at the "Irish success", in their editions in Ireland, while in their British editions the film was rubbished and derided as "anti-British" propaganda.

The Sun and the Daily Mail, which both have a long history of virulent anti-Irishness, devoted pages of positive coverage to the film's success in their Irish editions - but true to their real beliefs savaged Loach and the "pro-IRA" film on their home territory.

On Tuesday, the "Irish" Sun ran a double-page spread entitled 'Cillian's men give Brits a tanning in Cannes', celebrating a victory for the movie's "no-holds barred" depiction of the Black 'n' Tans who "subjected Irish citizens to horrific violence for years".

The article's author Harry Macadam laid into the Loach project, deriding it and saying, "a brutally anti-British film has won the movie world's top prize outside the Oscars. Veteran director Ken Loach's The Wind that Shakes the Barley has a plot designed to drag the reputation of our nation through the mud."

The article criticises the British National Lottery's support of "Loach's biased ideas" to the tune of €795,000. The Sun piece also quoted from the Independent's movie critic John Walsh who said at times the movie "comes across like a recruiting campaign for the IRA".

It also contains non-attributed quotes from "American reviewers", who described the movie as "dull and pedestrian". It concludes with an additional comment from the author who said: "All in all, a must-not-see."

Elsewhere, the Daily Mail, which, in its Irish edition, has taken to referring to the Irish as "us" in its stories and headlines, revealed to its real heartland - the English middle classes - its true prejudices.

Under a story headlined 'Lottery cash funded Loach's anti-British film' - which did not appear in Ireland - the paper reported that "a film part-funded by the National Lottery that depicts the British 'oppression' of Ireland has won the top award at the Cannes Film Festival".

The paper added: "Loach's film is sure to attract controversy over the sympathetic way it portrays the IRA as freedom fighters and the British Army as violent oppressors."

While its British readers were also being asked, "Why DOES Ken Loach loathe his country so much?" the Mail's Irish readers were being shown a front page picture of star Orla Fitzgerald under a headline: 'The golden girl who conquered Cannes'.

Needless to say, the picture of a beaming Orla did not appear in the Mail's British editions.

In the London Times, Michael Gove questioned how British people could cheer for a director who portrays British soldiers as "sub-human mercenaries burning thatched cottages, torturing by using pliers to rip out toenails and committing extreme violence against women".

Perhaps then, it comes as no surprise to find that just 30 British cinemas have ordered prints of the film, which means that most British cinemagoers will not get to make up their own minds

There's a statue of Cromwell outside the Houses of Parliament in Westminster. I think the reason he is remembered in a "he's not a murderous bastard" way by the British is he ultimately wrestled absolute power from the Monarchy and gave it back to the people.

If it wasn't for the Civil War that he brought about, England would either still be ruled by a monarchy, or would have had a French Revolution of some sort. I think the traditional Brits like the idea that they have a monarch as a head of state, but the decision making is done by the parliament.

I don't think he's remembered too fondly as a person though. From what I understand, he's seen as Britain's only dictator. And in that 10 Greatest British people of the millenium, there was a reference made to the fact that the Irish hated him.

As for Britain's colonial past? True... they caused a lot of shit in a lot of countries (they may have screwed Ireland up, but they did do a fair amount of damage in Africa). That said, we don't really give the Russians, French or Spanish much agro about their colonial histories.
The British Empire was the biggest, but I think the actions of the Spanish in South America, or the French in Africa, were probably as heinous, if not more so, than the actions and policies of the British.

ICUH8N said:
Not to mention the Belgians. King Leopold's Ghost, anyone?

they were a particularly brutal lot indeed.
I think the reason we in ireland harp on about british imperialism as oposed to spainish/russian/french, is that we were directly exposed to it. Im not sure many people in poland would have anything positive to say about russian imperialism. I reckon its because the brits were very good at the whole empire building, and managed to piss off a good portion of the globe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back