Wind/Barley/Loach/Unbritish etc (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter old
  • Start date
  • Replies 66
  • Views 5K
  • Watchers 1
billygannon said:
There's a statue of Cromwell outside the Houses of Parliament in Westminster. I think the reason he is remembered in a "he's not a murderous bastard" way by the British is he ultimately wrestled absolute power from the Monarchy and gave it back to the people.

Yes, and then they BEGGED for the restoration of the monarchy and brought Charles II back from France to rule.

Yeah but if Charles II looked like this

charlesii.jpg

*sigh!*

he is my favourite monarch, so louche, and devil may care! Plus the Restoration must have been an amazing period to have lived through (barring the stench) if you were male, rich and titled. Nicht so gut to have been poor or female.

Catwoman said:
Yeah but if Charles II looked like this

charlesii.jpg

*sigh!*

I was talking to a german late on sunday night. When I asked "where are you from?" he said "Germany". Then there was a brief silence while I tried to remember some german that I could surprise them with. Then he said "yes, and sorry for all that business in history and all that"

I said "huh?"
national guilt is a funny old thing.

George Monboit is a right old cunt. He's always going on about how we should live off shit we grow in an alotment; this from the scion of some minted troy prick.

He's on the ball on the Loach flick though.

And C0de n1njA makes some very valid points in this thread.

I was living in England during one particularly dramatic marching season, and the fella sitting at the next desk in work asked me "so when did we invade Northern Ireland?". When I told him they used to run the show in the whole island, had arrived in 1169 and stuck around until they were run out in the 20s, he sneered at me and said "so that's what they teach you in school over there is it?"

He was, incidentally, probably the most unpleasant person I have ever met

billygannon said:
As for Britain's colonial past? True... they caused a lot of shit in a lot of countries (they may have screwed Ireland up, but they did do a fair amount of damage in Africa). That said, we don't really give the Russians, French or Spanish much agro about their colonial histories.

the irish republican movement has always shown solidarity with other anti-imperialist struggles, for example the basques, the palestinians, the cuban revolutionaries, the columbians, the FLN in algeirs, while non-nationalist radicals and political activists all over the world have a common anti-imperialist ethos.

billygannon said:
The British Empire was the biggest, but I think the actions of the Spanish in South America, or the French in Africa, were probably as heinous, if not more so, than the actions and policies of the British.
true... although, as documented by eduardo galeano in 'open veins of latin america', the english, dutch and other powers had a large part to play in latin american affairs too as time progressed, especially with regard to perpetuating an oppressive grip on the entire region in the name of profit, through the monopolisation of resources such as gold, silver, coffee, sugar, rubber, fruit etc. which also perpetuated the misery and enormous business of the african slave trade and the slavery or quasi-slavery of the indigenous people throughout the region.

a good friend of mine who worked on this movie went to the premier in cork last night; he's quite well up on loach's work in general and I'm looking forward to hearing what he has to say about it. and seeing it of course!

ALLAHQUAANNDO!!

Bolder than the pirates who used to rule the sea
Braver than the natives, who never heard of tea.
They never knew what hit them, said the Spaniards later on.
Empire. It was here and now it's gone.

Even the biggest elephant never forgets
And the sun never sweats. No, the sun never sweats.

You were younger than a virgin, older than the sea.
You were angel, you were devil, and I was all of me.
You knew you met your master, when I made you stay at home.
Woman. Whatever made you roam.

Even the hardest concrete never quite sets.
And the sun never sweats. No, the sun never sweats.

Losing is for losers, winners play to win.
Always love the sinner, you may even like the sin.
The door that used to open has closed without a crack.
Woman, you're like the Empire and I still want you back.

We may be gods or just big marionettes.
But the sun never sweats.

Life is a gamble and we're all placing our bets.
And the sun never sweats.
No the sun never sweats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back