Best Films of the Decade (1 Viewer)

Yeah I didn't get the David Lynch thing at all :confused:

Unless there's a scene after the credits in a red lodge with chequered floor tiles where the recently deceased Royal is talking to a midget and a giant then calls the Tennenbaum house only to be seen answering the phone himself while Kyle McLoughlan and Harry Dean Stanton eat pie in the background with an Angelo Badalmenti string score playing over the whole thing...

It's absolutely nothing like David Lynch. I really like this film. Does that make me an emo teenage dickhead?

It rips off Blue Velvet at every fucking turn, If you don't see this your fucking mental, and it does make you the worst kind of emo one who should know better, now call your Dad ask for money pout and tell him you hate him after he hangs up

You need to just take it easy, get out a bit more, maybe a little holiday.

Maybe you should suck my balls.

I can't believe these posts snook past me.

1. The begining of Donnie Darko the slow motion sequence in which the town is presented as a suburban utopia is taken directly from blue velvets similar opening sequence.

2. the scenes in which Donnie and the girl walk from school while flirting is also taken directly from Blue Velvet. Though the dialogue is snappier in DD

3. The overall tone , the junxtaposition between eerily dark happenings at night and day time utopian suburban normality is lifted from Blue Velvet

4. once the plot starts to take all sorts of turns such as time travel etc without any real scientific back up of any kind (Ithink all that "Ifound a book" is nonsense) your basically looking at the middle part of Lost Highway. Substitute the Bunny with the "I'm in your house right now" guy and you've got all the hallmarks, a plot you can't totally follow, teenagers in peril, a dangerous bully, a mystic character who appears and furthers the story through riddles and half understandable utterances (see also the giant and the dwarf from Twin Peaks or the cowboy from Mullholland Drive)

6. The ambient swells in the score could have come directly from Fire Walk With Me or Blue Velvet.

5. Finally a whole the Donnie Darko relys heavilly on David Lynch. It's not just the actual scenes which are similar. It's non linear unconventional plot and more over it's the tone that it sets. I've always felt that Lynchs best films like Blue Velvet and Mulholland Drive work best because his charachters lurch from normality to absolute weirdness over and over again and each lurch takes them further with less chance of return. Donnie Darko is basically this premise minus Lynchs scary weirdness.

That's just my take on it but there you have it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back