No Disco Petition (1 Viewer)

ha, check out the No Disco argument over at the Phantom board

how peculiar. it's very odd to read that you're part of a sinister conspiracy involving leagues and glen hansard to keep some bloke's mates off the telly.

have THEY shown you the sinister cabal handshake yet, snaky?

<whisper>ixnae on the andshake-hay, minka!<whisper>

ah nothing like a bit of old-fashioned Irish begrudgery

like we're all meeting once a fortnight in the Lord Eddie or something and conspiring to scratch each other's musical backs

these conspiracy theorists and their mad ideas

Just emailed Claire Duignan and asked if she'd meet with representatives of the irish music scene to discuss the decision. Let's see if they bite. Failing that I intend putting in a Freedom of Information request to establish the background behind the decision - it'll cost a bit to get copies of the documents but I think it's worth it to get to the bottom of RTE's attitude towards independent music.

What do yiz think?

What records held in RTÉ are exempt from FOI?

This right of access is subject to certain exemptions. Under the 1997 Act some of the exemptions include records that relate to information given in confidence, records that contain commercially sensitive information, records containing personal information. All of these exemptions are subject to a public interest test. In addition the regulations extending the FOI to RTÉ state certain records are exempt. These include:
  • The gathering and recording in any form of news, information, data, opinions, on or off the record quotes or views from any person or body or source, for journalistic or programme content purposes
  • The identification of any potential or actual source of information or material for the purpose of making programmes.
  • The editing and storing of any material recorded by any means, whether written, aural, visual or otherwise, for the purposes of making programmes.

[*]The process of making editorial decisions concerning programmes.

[*]The process of internal review and analysis of programmes.

http://www.rte.ie/about/organisation/foi.html

Originally posted by Mumblin Deaf Ro
Just emailed Claire Duignan and asked if she'd meet with representatives of the irish music scene to discuss the decision. Let's see if they bite. Failing that I intend putting in a Freedom of Information request to establish the background behind the decision - it'll cost a bit to get copies of the documents but I think it's worth it to get to the bottom of RTE's attitude towards independent music.

What do yiz think?

i think you're quite possibly out of your mind.
SILO: this is some next level unsanity right here, b.
peace,

andy

ps - damien dempsey on that songs in a room shit (which you all hate or something) was better than any no disco episode i've seen. sayin.

pps - tonights no disco looks good.

ppps - if the original post was a joke, i just played myself.

pppps - i think the biggest losers (and i don't mean that in a "you're such a loser" kind of way) in this whole thing are heads like DEL9 etc. it's not like music has ever solely depended on a visual medium, animation on the other hand...i mean bands still have a wide audience through gigs and mp3s and sheet music and albums...oh well.

ppppps - the bright side is i may never have to see 3 minutes of slowed down super 8 footage of the dart or jcbs or seagulls on tv ever again. them were the bad old days...

so, come on folks, whats the next step? sit down protest out at montrose? i'll bring the cider.

Originally posted by dragonninja6000
ppppps - the bright side is i may never have to see 3 minutes of slowed down super 8 footage of the dart or jcbs or seagulls on tv ever again. them were the bad old days... [/B]

ha ha ha!

on a good night back in the Donal days you could go a whole night on Super 8

you'd go to bed dizzy and from all the flickering and scratches.

hmmm, maybe the freedom of info route is a non-runner then.

As regards the meeting, I'm not a complete loon, but sometimes when you press a little harder you get a more full explanation for a decision. I see it all the time in my job. They won't meet you but they'll give you more than a PFO for a response, and that's something.

I've sent General Franks a mail saying that Sadaam Insane is broadcasting pictures of dead indie stars from RTE and that this goes against the Geneva convention.

So expect a missile to hit Moore Street market this afternoon.

Just edited that. It's a pity there's no undo button on the television screen.

i'm trying to predict why RTE make the distinction between the music on 'no disco' and that in a room programme.
what i'm thinking is that RTE might consider the former to be minority interest terrain (ie ooooh wierdy del 9 videos, and comtemporary sounds what you don't hear in the baggot inn) and the later to be the kind of stuff that they can sell abroad (ie singer song writery stuff - easily digestable and more akin to a perception of irish music? and what have you) i reckon what they want to make in terms of programming is stuff they'll be able to flog abroad and make their money on. they've not identified an international market for the no disco stuff, so they can't be bothered maintaining it.

the whole thing smacks of lack of interest/ understanding of contemporary/ popular music sector in ireland, it's processes and outputs. they're telling us in their concentration on the in the room stuff that what they want is stuff they can easily promote and market, they wont be responding to the realities of new irish music if this is already the track they're on.

i don't really know the whys and wherefores, so maybe the arguments we should be making need to stem from the fact that RTE is a public service and as such should be addressing their audiences interests not dictating to them.

Unfortunately for them most people who watch "In Glen of the Downs bedroom" think it's a load of crap. People who bother to watch No Disco actually want to watch it.

So, the best solution for the RTE's top brass is to pump more money into No Disco... let Leagues use the old Jo Maxi sweetie couch... put it on at a fairly reasonable time (say 10.30)... and go to the Montrose and hit on first Arts UCD students called Amanda or Jane. Oh... and get Leagues to play a few things that ordinary joes like... like Zero 7 or Roots Manuva or something "chilled" like that. But only a few videos. Keep the "accountants-who-want-to-keep-it-real" happy.

I mean Here Comes the Night does grand... so does John Kelly's show.... it's not like people aren't into off-the-beaten-track stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back