new liverpool thread - everyone loves them (2 Viewers)

He's only scored about 19 goals in 5 seasons for Roma, that's nothing special
aquilani wasn't part of the world cup squad, for a start. and that 19 goals record i'd reckon rivals xabi's. how many did he score for liverpool?

edit: i just wiki'd xabi's 5 year goal return. it's 19. 19 goals.. in five years.
creeeeepy.

is Rafa buying Aquilani to score goals? i thought that was Torres' job?

Seems to me that it's a fairly valid point to make when he's being touted as being better going forward than Xabi Alonso.

The actual records are 15 in 147 and 19 in 199.

What's Aquilani's presence in the last World Cup or lack there of got to do with anything?

Seems to me that it's a fairly valid point to make when he's being touted as being better going forward than Xabi Alonso.

The actual records are 15 in 147 and 19 in 199.

What's Aquilani's presence in the last World Cup or lack there of got to do with anything?
corm said something about underperforming since winning the world sup. some shit like that, i didn't really read it.

i don't think aquilani is bought to be an attacking goal-scoring midfielder. that's gerrards job, although he might be able to play that role if gerrard isn't there. or better still, just add attacking weight when there's a nil-nil with some just promoted cloggers on the cards. in that sense, he's more versatile than xabi, or at least the xabi we knew.

Not enough to make any decent extrapolations about, because most of the decent Italians would quite reasonably prefer to stay in Italy. Most were either past it players when Serie A was in a much better state (see Attilio Lombardo, Casiraghi, Vialli etc) or else rubbish from middling Italian clubs turning up at middling English clubs (Maccarone and his ilk).

Tony Cascarino.

Rafa in the press today saying something about Aquilani playing infront of Masch but behind Stevie G.

Most were either past it players when Serie A was in a much better state (see Attilio Lombardo, Casiraghi, Vialli etc) or else rubbish from middling Italian clubs turning up at middling English clubs (Maccarone and his ilk).

Roberto Di Matteo played pretty well during his spell at Chelsea.

I don't see how Aquilani is meant to be a better attacking option than Alonso. Both with near identical goal-scoring records, from what I've seen of Roma the past few seasons I'd say they're both similar types of players.
If you want a midfielder to add a bit more to attack then they need to be more of a goal threat than 19 in 5 years.

I don't see how Aquilani is meant to be a better attacking option than Alonso. Both with near identical goal-scoring records, from what I've seen of Roma the past few seasons I'd say they're both similar types of players.
If you want a midfielder to add a bit more to attack then they need to be more of a goal threat than 19 in 5 years.

You're getting hopelessly bogged down with the stats there Corm. Despite the similar goal return, Aquilani IS a more attacking player in the fact that he drives forward in a more direct way than Alonso. This will mean a slightly different dimension to Liverpool's midfield set up. Cesc Fabregas has scored less than 20 goals in the Premier League since 2004 (and he's been a first team regular since before christmas '04/'05), but would you say he's a more attacking footballer than Alonso?

I dunno, Aquilani always stuck me as more of a holding midfielder, the kind of player who is there to win possession back if lost, seems to me that's how he played for Roma anyway. Time will tell sure, maybe with someone like Mascherano behind him he will attack more.

I dunno, Aquilani always stuck me as more of a holding midfielder, the kind of player who is there to win possession back if lost, seems to me that's how he played for Roma anyway. Time will tell sure, maybe with someone like Mascherano behind him he will attack more.

I'd still like to think that Benitez will make one more attacking purchase, and no prizes for guessing who. But in light of pre-season niggles to both Agger and Skrtel I think the focus is going to quickly swing towards defensive cover. Wouldn't be at all surprised to see Distin coming in. P.S. How fucked are Portsmouth looking this season?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back