new liverpool thread - everyone loves them (3 Viewers)

£18m for Glen Johnson allegedly. Seems a touch overpriced if true.

Yeah but as Unicron says, it's the price you pay for an English international. Hargreaves, Carrick, Barry (last season anyway) were all way overpriced and Johnson is no exception. The difference being, is Portsmouth still owe €7m for Crouch, so the figure is closer to €10 million.*He's a better right back than Arbeloa, but I'd prefer to get rid of Dossena (could probably get €6 mill from an Italian club as he's been playing internationally) than flog Arbeloa to Real. Johnson>Arbeloa>Darby as RB options, with Aurelio>Insua competing for LB isn't a bad way to start the season.

If we can make profit on any or all of Pennant, Voronin and possibly Babel we should still have enough of a budget to bring in wide man such as Silva. But we probably won't.

* edit: Crouch being linked with a move away from Portsmouth after upsetting club officials about the takeover situation. Can't imagine Portsmouth wanting to negotiate a good deal for a player they still owe money on. Johnston deal making a lot of sense for both clubs now.

does seem a little overpriced, but its probably inflated due to the crouch money. Still i think pool fans would welcome having a decent consistent full back

One that can cross anyway. Last year we had Kuyt and Arbeloa playing the majority of our balls in from the right, which on numerous occasions was wrist slitingly awful. Kuyt greatly improved towards the end but Johnson would be a massive upgrade in that department. Most people (Hec excluded) seem to think that Arbeloa is better defensively, but that's a load of bollox.

One that can cross anyway. Last year we had Kuyt and Arbeloa playing the majority of our balls in from the right, which on numerous occasions was wrist slitingly awful. Kuyt greatly improved towards the end but Johnson would be a massive upgrade in that department. Most people (Hec excluded) seem to think that Arbeloa is better defensively, but that's a load of bollox.

na arbeloa is just plain bollox. johnson is definitely a great signing, bit overpriced (but yeah see the last few posts, he's english and 7m still left from crouch). he is the kind of player liverpool need at full back. Still a couple more pieces needed to finish the liverpool puzzle though

overpriced..perhaps..but prices have gone utterly nuts, it seems. i'd take him. overlapping full backs are crucial to how rafa plays. you can see the interplay on the left that you don't get on the right. i think he could be a terrific player in the way that his price will become a complete irrelevance.

no money for pennant btw, cos his contract do be up.

IN (14)

Peter Crouch (Southampton, £7m); Fernando Morientes (Real Madrid, £6.3m); Jose Manuel Reina (Villarreal, £6m); Mohamed Sissoko (Valencia, £5.6m); Mark Gonzalez (Albacete, £3.5m); Scott Carson (Leeds United, £750,000); Antonio Barragan (Seville, £240,000); Besian Idrizaj (Linzer ASK, £190,000); Jack Hobbs (Lincoln City, £150,000); Mauricio Pellegrino (Valencia, free); Boudewijn Zenden (Middlesbrough, free); Godwin Antwi (Real Zaragoza, free); Ramon Calliste (Manchester United, free), Miki Roque (Llieda, free).

Jesus, one good player in that whole bunch.
If Liverpool spend 18 million on Glen Johnson or whatever, does that mean they're not gonna buy anyone else?

I see at least three quality players, Crouch, Reina and Sissoko (made a good profit and his showing his true quality now in italy). The majority of the Johnson fee will be covered by the 7m portsmouth owe us plus selling either Dossena (6m) or Arbeloa (8m) or possibly both. Assuming it goes thru Johnson is a very good signing I say even if the fee is quite big, adds some much needed pace to the right flank.

Well if you look at it in terms of how sucessful they were as rafa signings, they both done a good job at pool for what we paid and both were sold at a decent profit. Crouch would still be at anfield as a squad player if he didn't ask to leave.

I see at least three quality players, Crouch, Reina and Sissoko (made a good profit and his showing his true quality now in italy). The majority of the Johnson fee will be covered by the 7m portsmouth owe us plus selling either Dossena (6m) or Arbeloa (8m) or possibly both. Assuming it goes thru Johnson is a very good signing I say even if the fee is quite big, adds some much needed pace to the right flank.
arbeloa....8 million? 8 million what exactly?

So according to the s*n today if villa comes to england he'll only consider playing for the pool. Should we dare to dream?

A quote like that was inevitable with Torres making public overtures to Villa but Valencia need cash and Barca & Real are both offering more money than 'Pool could dream of stumping up. And as much as I'd love to see Villa in a Liverpool shirt I'd prefer if Benitez spent 20 million on a natural left sided midfielder (Silva) and whatever it takes to get a striker shit enough & willing to sit on the bench but good enough to step up when Gerarrd or Torres was injured.

Supposedly Real are willing to pay 8m pounds for him, madness I know but they're not that big on defending anyway.
praise allah! that would be daft. can we sell them voronin for about 40 mil while we're at it? and sammy lee for another 15.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back