Nabbing stuff left outside charity shops (2 Viewers)

Just do what you think is right. For example say you were minding some kid (say your son, daughter, neice, nephew) for the day and they saw the bag and went to take it - what would you say to them?

"Hey! How many times have I told you--check to see if anyone's looking first!"

Incidentally, my mum was quite religious and strongly believed that charity should be private. I think it goes back to the idea that if you're looking for attention for your good deeds, then you're not truly thinking of others.

interesting article by Peter Singer (philospopher/author of Animal Liberation) on this viewpoint here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2008/jun/22/charitablegiving

singer also says that in wealthy countries like ours there is an ethical onus (not moral) on us to contribute at least 10-15 % of our income to charities working in the third world

The argument that someone else would have done it if you hadn't leads down a dark road. It justifies behaving the same as the worst person in the world.
I obviously didn't feel strongly enough against it to dither over taking it to begin with,

Just do what you think is right. For example say you were minding some kid (say your son, daughter, neice, nephew) for the day and they saw the bag and went to take it - what would you say to them?

There are lots of things I wouldn't let a kid I was minding do that I wouldn't have any qualms doing myself :)

singer also says that in wealthy countries like ours there is an ethical onus (not moral) on us to contribute at least 10-15 % of our income to charities working in the third world
ha ha ha ha ha, what a cunt!

In a new twist, someone who volunteers in a charity shop has just told me that her shop isn't allowed to accept stuff left on the street outside opening hours. One more chalk-up for Team Feck-it. Neck and neck now, and half an hour before I go home....

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back