Nabbing stuff left outside charity shops (1 Viewer)

I've an inner voice with a strong whip attached. As much as I would have wanted that hat box, no way could I have taken it. For this reason, I will always get fucked over because I am too polite and nice. I should really kill that voice, guilt is a heavy load.

isnt the idea of charity being a sacrifice one of those catholic guilt hangovers?? like to do any good at all you have to bate yourself, and to make sure the church coffers got filled they let us know that we could be doing without that second rasher ona sunday because the church roof needed mending?? by definition i dont think it has any hint of sacrifice being necessary.

i've had a direct debit set up with concern for €10 a month for a few years now. i was under the impression that i'd get a letter a week from an african orphan telling me my money built a much needed well in their village or provided a sack of corn for their starving dog or something like that. i haven't even gotten one. what's the story there? i'd even settle for a photograph of the well, ffs.

well thats just a choice of disposal or what a p[erson thinks is the right way to get rid of something, for the most part though i was trying to debunk mdr.

That's one way of looking at it, I suppose. Another is that they wanted to drop it off on the way to work, found it wasn't open and didn't want to drag it home/into work with them.

I would argue that anyone who brings stuff to a charity shop is more concerned with getting rid of it than giving it to charity.

True, on both counts, but I think bringing something to a charity shop rather than selling it on Ebay is an act of charity. Anyone I know who donates stuff makes an informed decision about which charity to give to as well, even if it means not going to the nearest charity shop. And I'd never "donate" something by leaving it outside a closed shop myself, I'd check if the shop was open first.

Team Feck-it are slightly winning now, Team Shame-on-you have fallen behind a bit. The shop will be open on my way home. Keep 'em coming.

isnt the idea of charity being a sacrifice one of those catholic guilt hangovers??

It's the opposite: if you give to charity to relieve guilt then there is no act of sacrifice involved - you're just buying your way into a clean conscience.

Incidentally, my mum was quite religious and strongly believed that charity should be private. I think it goes back to the idea that if you're looking for attention for your good deeds, then you're not truly thinking of others.

Anyway, who am i to start laying out the rulebook of giving. Do what yiz like.

well i agree with that, but i dont get how you figure sacrifice into your own version of charity. coincidentially i'm just about to go to the charity place to look for egg cups, because i can no longer eat boiled eggs from the same shot glass i was drinking vodka from lastnight. i believe there are guilt issues invovled with that.

Team Feck-it are slightly winning now, Team Shame-on-you have fallen behind a bit. The shop will be open on my way home. Keep 'em coming.

Well, the fact that you feel guilty about it shows that on some level you feel you were wrong to do it.

Let your conscience be your guide as Morrissey once wrote on a series of postcards and left under the windscreen wiper of a friend who had slighted him.

On the other hand, Morrissey is a tosser.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back