Nabbing stuff left outside charity shops (1 Viewer)

Lolo

Since 2000
Website
www.facebook.com
I nabbed a load of stuff from outside my local charity shop recently. I'm still feeling a bit guilty about it, but am justifying it in the following ways:

1) There are big signs up saying "please don't leave items outside when the shop is not open", and the shop was clearly not open;
2) It's not a registered charity;
3) When I passed it by again a few hours later, the remaining items had been pilfered by somebody else, so the stuff I took would have been nabbed anyway;
4) I'm making a point of donating to this shop (rather than the registered charity I usually donate to) the next time I do a charity shop run...

I still can't help feeling like a tea-leaf though. Am I deluding myself? Am I going to a specially-designed circle of hell where I'm forever trapped in a smelly, dusty charity shop full of choice vinyl and vintage Pucci dresses that are nabbed from under my nose by other shoppers?

charity shops here now put all the good stuff in the windows, with a sign saying, NOT FOR SALE TILL XXth OF XXXXX

then loads of pricks know there's good swag, there's cues on morning of said sale day and the sort of pricks who have nothing else to do but cue outside charity shops on a Saturday morning, score the goodies

charity my arse

Oooh no, I thought someone was going to ask this :)

The entire haul was:
1) A 1970s Pippa doll with 4 outfits, all vintage
2) A non-vintage Lambretta hold-all
3) A hatbox (possibly vintage, not sure)
4) A belt (not vintage, I suspect it's from Top Shop)
5) A Studio One compliation CD given out free with Mojo
6) Dance Hall at Louse Point by PJ Harvey & John Parrish on CD, which I already have on vinyl but am going to give to somebody who will love it

I left a bunch of other CDs, clothes, books, toys, bags and belts there.

The entire haul was:
6) Dance Hall at Louse Point by PJ Harvey & John Parrish on CD, which I already have on vinyl but am going to give to somebody who will love it

That would have been hard to resist but you're going to hell.

jesus christ that is cold. y'know, somewhere out there is a little crippled girl who's probably going to die this winter cos she can't sell the stuff you nabbed in order to buy a defribillator for her knackered heart. can you really live with that?
sickkid.jpg

The entire haul was:

scumbag

nah, fair play. i know from experience that the people who work in them nab all the good stuff for themselves so what harm-especially as you left stuff there yourself

I used to see a woman every morning rooting through the bags at my local charity shop- i thought that was bogey

i volunteer in a charity shop. when i work with the old wagons there, they take all around them, even tho the majority of them are rich dalkey widows. its kinda frustrating, but not as bad as people who sheepishly leave 5 refuse sacks inside the door and run out, only for us to open them up and find soiled clothes, underwear, electrical goods and all sorts of fucking shit they know we can't sell. absolute assholes. sometimes they even come in and say "i hope they go to a good home". i hope you go to hell.

also, the irish cancer society in rathmines recieves nicknacks (and sometimes clothes, i hear) from urban outfitters.

If something's not yours you shouldn't take it. The best thing is to donate money (not unwanted goods) to the shop - what you think the goods would have cost you. Or else return the goods.

I'd be with 'Ro on this. Give them a few bob.

Still, you did just take litter off the street, if you want to salve your conscience that way.

Would you really want stuff that belonged to someone who just sticks the stuff outside the shop cos they're too fucking lazy to ring and see if they can take it? It costs to get rid of junk they don't need or can't sell.

well depends on the charity really

what one was it?

It just says "Romanian blibliotek", I'm not sure whether that means libraries in Romania, or a library for Romanian people in London.

Either way, it's def not a registered charity, my neighbours refuse to donate there cause they reckon the people who run it just keep all the dosh themselves. So no kids dying on my behalf, but possibly some very bored Romanian orphans with nothing to read...

no address is singular
no delivery is guaranteed
think of yourself as the endless movement of iterability and reinscription

If something's not yours you shouldn't take it. The best thing is to donate money (not unwanted goods) to the shop - what you think the goods would have cost you. Or else return the goods.

when does something become yours?
whose was it, lying there on the street?
possession is 9 tenths of the law you know

the place sounds pretty dogey, maybe you just stopped someone from buying from a fake charity and they're gonna go to a registered one instead, saving the world one belt at a time.

In the 'batter?!

PS - Mo is right.

No, in Stoke Newington, north-east London.

Hmmmmm, am even more confused now.

The give-them-some-money team are slightly in the lead, the feck-it-they're-not-a-real-charity-anyway bunch are creeping up behind.

BTW I do collect vintage fashion dolls, and the hatbox will be very useful for gigging, so I wasn't just being a complete klepto nicking random things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back