MOR OF THE SAME PLEASE (1 Viewer)

Anthony said:
i think you're missing Alan's point.

"and dare I say it, a little more real music as opposed to some out-of-it plank making bacon frying noises on a laptop for three quarters of an hour. The main stage last year really benefitted from the likes of Pony Club and a brace of more "mainstream" acts..."

That's what i was getting at.

Alan Latchley said:
Why is there no address printed anywhere, and why are ye PM'ing it to each other like some guarded religious icon? Please don't tell me Mór is heading towards this exclusive "only we know" kind of club. Surely the more people that know about it, the more submissions that come in, giving what has been a most enjoyable (but a little too much up its own arse) festival a little variety, and dare I say it, a little more real music as opposed to some out-of-it plank making bacon frying noises on a laptop for three quarters of an hour. The main stage last year really benefitted from the likes of Pony Club and a brace of more "mainstream" acts...

You should make us up a few compliations called "Now that's what I call REAL music". What would the track listing be ?

Alan Latchley said:
Manowar all the way .|..|

You going to this? It doesn't clash with Mor: http://www.webwarriors.tk/

Is this you? Are you the true king of metal?

http://www.manowar.nl/wwwwfangiuli.htm

Or are you more of a high priest? Do you really believe in metal? Are you really a Brother of Steel?

http://www.manowar.nl/wwwwfanaldo.htm

"Contributing to the living form a pure Spiritual reunification on its values. *Spiritual* in terms of Inner Powers, Auto-Leadership and Own Magical Talents of Creation. Definitely, NOT Spiritual in terms sort of like a religious doctrine that is under the providence of destiny, faith or the intervention divine of a god. But I believe in Metal as those persons believe in their gods. "

I read it more like get some more mainstream acts to get more people in to help the mor festival to continue. Not at the expense of the bacon fryers.

frambosenshmak said:
so i see its listed on the mor website for 2005 as weekend end of july. anyone here know any more about if the wheels are rolling on the mor festival organisation stationwagon?

one proposal - i could probably get caribou (formerly manitoba) to play at this and i hear max tudra is well into his new work with his full band now..|..|

anyone got people they'd like to see at this?

I`d like to see Magnetize at this!

I think i might go to MOR this year - when`s the line-up being confirmed?

no offense eamo, but when i see you constantly hype music which you have some involvement with, it makes me immediately never want to listen to it.
nothing to do with you, the bands, your tastes or theirs, it's just the complete lack of objectivity. i'm sure most people with any vague understanding of "how things work" feel the same - or maybe not, who knows. bare in mind i'm someone who's bought stuff from you in the past and will in the future - this isn't some super personal dig or anything. just sayin.

andrew
ps - i somehow managed to lose all that john weise stuff on my way home after that gig. go figure.

MONDOBRUTALE said:
no offense eamo, but when i see you constantly hype music which you have some involvement with, it makes me immediately never want to listen to it...blah blah blah ...... just sayin...........blah blah blah....
andrew
ps - i somehow managed to lose all that john weise stuff on my way home after that gig. go figure.blah balh

constantly?!?!!I never hype music!!!:eek: But you have`nt heard the music i talk about so....yo0ur not kool!!!ninjaaaa

Retards should play MOR too - Bullets....nah ...don`t mind them.

But you have`nt heard the music i talk about so....yo0ur not kool!!

oh eamo, how soon you forget the "screamo cd" i made you when i was in limerick

anyway who cares, i only listen to los gatos salvajes these days...and electro and shit

andrew

MONDOBRUTALE said:
oh eamo, how soon you forget the "screamo cd" i made you when i was in limerick

anyway who cares, i only listen to los gatos salvajes these days...and electro and shit

andrew

That screamo cd taught me how Orchid were kind of crap, Jeromes Dream were way over-rated and.....erm.....well i liked Indian Summer....

What happened the Peter Mulvear cd i did you!!
And that Black Dice 7" was the centre of all Bullets sets!!!!!!!!!!!Ahhhhh!!!!!
Go to bed Andy!

*actually i`ll just edit out that last piece there...it was making me feel uncomfortable for some reason...urgh...weird..

haha you probably thought that awful italian screamo band that played recently were amazing...i dunno if you did or not, but i'm willing to bet you did, thus nullifying any opinion you have!
sorry!!! wake up, eamo! jerome's dream is the only 'screamo' band i will give more than 3 seconds of my time to. 'presents...' is the best of that shit cos it stopped sounding like all that other dumb shit.

andrew
ps - if you put a gun to my head, i couldn't tell you what that black dice 7'' sounds like. only black dice that's ever made any lasting impression is the first track on the 10 or 12'', 'cold hands' or whatever, that sounds like a music box. dig that.

I`ll be up after you in a minute to cheer you up.

later baby

ppps - i luv u!!

You're on the button Anthony

I read it more like get some more mainstream acts to get more people in to help the mor festival to continue. Not at the expense of the bacon fryers.

I can't see the problem with slotting a few 'mainstream' acts in there, as such. If Mór continues as it has done for the past two years with a faithful regular crowd pretending to know about most of the acts, and willing to listen to a host of bacon fryers year in year out, then the festival will peter out as the crowd will get bored of the same old same old, and indeed the crowd itself will get older and - in that great music tradition - get sick of seeing their friends play all the time and drift away. I can so see this happening with Mór.

As much as I enjoyed the last two years of the festival, particularly the first year, I can honestly name on just one hand the amount of acts that I truly enjoyed, and felt were dynamic enough to deserve a slot on the bill.

Without the aid of very strong drugs, an hour in the company of some chap with a laptop making bacon soundscapes is not going to entice me nor, I suspect, any casual festival attendee back for more.

At least by sticking on a few name acts Mór will get the sort of punter who wouldn't normally be seen dead at a festival whose bill generally reads like group of physics graduates, and in that way broaden those mainstream(ish) punters musical horizons a bit in that yes, there is some innovative electronic music out there, as well as the odious, talentless bacon fryers and the wacky improvisation instrumental outfits whose "career" has been building up to THIS point, this half an hour of shite in the back room of a castle.

The vibe of Mór is excellent, it's location superb, and even the insect bites are part of the whole, erm, experience. But to be brutally honest, it's an experience that won't last much longer if the organisers insist of filling the bill with the sort of experimental music only their friends seem to play, and keep this level of secrecy and very poor PR about how one actually gets to play at the festival! I did not, for the life of me, see any mention of the festival in the music pages of any press outlet in the past few weeks, and if I were someone who would like to play at Mór, I'd be seriously pissed off about missing the cut-off date (yesterday wasn't it?).

Not that I'm no mover and shaker, but I received no emails, no press releases, not a word. Nor did anyone I know who works in the papers. A straw poll of a few bands recently revealed that only one knew about how the festival selection process, and that was by a chance reading of his local Westmeath newspaper (the Examminer I think) on a train!

I dunno, maybe I'm being a bit of a stick-in-the-mud or what-have-you, but even based on the positive national and local press the festival has received in the past, wouldn't it be nice to see the festival go that little step further? Surely the people behind it know how to run it by now so how's about tweaking it just a bit? They had some degree of decent sponsorship last year didn't they? Why not build on this and stick their necks out a bit more, alter the profile slightly and maybe actually make a few bob in the process...

here, just because someone doesn't play bicketty bocketty electro doesn't make them "mainstream"

are they the options? My little pony's club OR sellotape sounds?

never mind.

as you were

Alan, that's a much better well though out argument, as opposed to the original post which i read to be bashing many of the acts who performed. I def agree with some of your points. Last years lack of a capacity crowd could be linked to the fact that the bill was lacking in a "known" (not necessarily mainstream) name, however it's important that the festival does not lose sight of what makes it great and different in the first place. Personally, i loved loads of the more experimental acts i saw last year and they introduced me to a lot of new music. I know that if there were loads more bands like Pony Club playing this year, at the expense of the more experimental acts, I wouldn't go near the place!! The festival will obviously need to evolve to keep running, as all festivals do, but it would be sad for the festival to lose the essence of what makes it great. It's just a question of getting the balance right.

Regarding promotion for submissions, i think it could maybe have been done better, but i don't think the reson for that is so that only the Mor organisers' friends can play

talentless bacon fryers and the wacky improvisation instrumental outfits whose "career" has been building up to THIS point, this half an hour of shite in the back room of a castle.

you don't have a clue, maaaayn
(about the music and about the musicians and about why they do it). and all this "their mates" stuff? you're unsane.
who'd have thought the lazybird room would have had the kind of music that gets played in lazybird in it. man that's insane. my mind's trippin.

andrew

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back