Mor II? (2 Viewers)

candie hank was deadly buzz
the amount of BUZZ was worrying though
especially worrying was getting stung under the arm and having to go to a&e after my arm swelled up into a kat slater bingo style wing
poor me
so was sunday good? we had to go home..

Have to say I didn't enjoy it as much as last years even though the bars were better. Some of the music was fucking awful, well over 60% of it at least. Bands like Agitated Radio Pilot really need to learn how to plug a lead out from an instrument for a start, and maybe even go so far as playing an instrumernt when said lead is in. Rubbish. But they weren't the only ones. There was countless other bands who really should go back to rock school or wherever they crawled out from. I also fail to see the attraction of the majority of those lone rangers with laptops. I mean, all well and good - soundscapes man - but really, most of it was like listening to electronic bacon being fried on an electronic frying pan. Best "band" of the weekend for me was Infomatics, at least they put a bit of heart and soul into their performance as opposed to most of the chin-stroking that masqueraded as music. Other good ones was Damo Suzuki & Co, Pony Club, Digitonal, Umbrella Spokes, C4O, Dara O'Brien & Dermot Sheehan, Lakker, Muse Is An Astronaut and a few others whose names I forget. Visually, there was some top notch stuff in the marquee and compared to every other Irish festival the people working (and the security) were really nice. Had an "interesting" chat with that Cork crustie nearly everybody else encountered. I gave him a laxative. Should have given more of those to the allegded musicians who blighted the stages with their (f)art.

lmd64 said:
only 2 lowlights:
stung by a wasp on the arm
missed fancygoods (and numerous others)

highlights - too many to mention all, but...
northstation (great sounds and visuals), booger (storming set), formica (most talked about name change EVER), rest (bringing back the good weather), fred (and the cork mafia), corrigan (no, YOU stole my horse), the dancing guy, and that person out there who bought my CDr, cheers man...

and the bus home, the slowest driver in the world ever.
Haven't listened to it yet, looking forward to it though, that was a drunky stage I believe.....

I had the great craic at that mor. kudos to the organisers!

Candy Hank was the highlight of the whole weekend, he was only amazin' . Didn't get to see everyone I wanted to but, of them that I did, highlights are Donnacha Costello, anodyne, Damien Frost, saw the end of the warlords, dara o brien + dermot sheehan, Tremors,Philip Jeck, loose electrix djs, 8 ball.

I wasn't really feelin Dave donohoes set, and was a bit dissapointed with umbrella spokes.

Personal highlights included
*falling outside the dance tent & making a fancy-shaped splatch in the mud and loosing but then finding my phone.
*on saturday night asking the dj in the acoustic tent(?) if I could scratch on the decks (which i am unable to do), him saying no and then me sitting on a stool stage left, sulking, only to fall over and burst through the tent. where I lay for upwards of 7 minutes hoping that nobody would notice my shame
*accidentally giving candy hank the impression I was gay for him, and acidentally dissing his hair by implying,during our brief conversation, that it looked funny because it was part of his act

I concur with the opinion that Candy Hank was the highlight, I thought he was brilliant. The sight of him refusing to finish and the DJ's on the other side of the stage looking more and more pissed off is one that I will not forget in a hurry. I also enjoyed tremors and donnacha costello, and whoever the DJ was before mr.costello, he was really good.

Everyone said that fancy goods was great, so kinda pissed off we missed that.

Underground and under canvas

Less is Mór as clubbers, weary of much of the corporate nature of other larger events, congregated at Charleville Castle at the weekend. John Downes joined them.

You could bring your own tent to Mór 2004 or just build your own. One man with tanned skin, blond hair and a goatee has chosen the latter option and is extremely pleased with the result.

Built with three sticks and plastic sheeting borrowed from a skip, John Ryan says his wigwam reflects his own beliefs. If you can be self-sufficient, you need never worry where you're going to sleep.

For bedding, he has grabbed some wood cuttings and covered them in sheeting. Mór 2004 is that kind of festival. Put together by a team of enthusiastic volunteers, or Mórganisers, it was staged for the first time last year in the picturesque Charleville Castle in Co Offaly.

They say the main aim of the two-day festival is to allow a wide range of acts to perform to crowds grown weary of much of the corporate nature of other larger events. It also hopes to raise funds for the ongoing restoration of the castle itself.

Involving more than 300 volunteers, the event has been in the planning for a year, says Michael McDermott, one of the chief Mórganisers. So why do so many young people give of their time for free?

"It's a very organic festival. A lot of the people who volunteer are the type of people who would come to a festival like this anyway," he says. "Everybody is working on a voluntary basis. They want to be involved in something special. By volunteering, they feel they are contributing."

The festival line-up has an undeniably underground emphasis as a result. Including a number of international artists such as Damo Suzuki and Adem, it also provides a platform for Mór home-grown bands and DJs such as Donnacha Costelloe, Pony Club and 8-ball.

It can take a while for people to get into the relaxed atmosphere of Mór, however. Far from the packed stages and marquees of larger festivals, the overwhelming feeling is of appreciative if non-committal interest in what the festival's 50-odd acts have to offer.

This is particularly true earlier on Saturday, when many of those present are preoccupied with putting up their tents. As a result, bands on the main stage and in the smaller dance tents play to small if respectable numbers of people.

By evening time, however, the festival begins to come into its own. The castle itself is lit up beautifully and the crowds milling around are enjoying the warm August evening.

The atmosphere depends to a large extent on which tent or stage you are in. The acoustic tent is a particular highlight, lit up by candles hung in the leaves of the surrounding trees. Someone has even put a dreamcatcher.

Out by the main stage, bands such as God is an Astronaut and the Warlords of Pez provide a different heavier soundtrack to the night.

Meanwhile, the dance tent is full of festival clubbers, moving in time to the music while watching video images projected on to a screen behind. By comparison, the castle room provides a more chilled out atmosphere with people lying on floors away from the crowd.

The numbers attending each performance are larger, too, by night-time, but it never gets to the stage where there are too many. The queues at the bars are seldom more than two deep; similarly, buying food from the catering tent is but the work of a few minutes.

This throws into sharp relief the situation in other larger festivals.

By the next day, the weather has taken a turn for the worse, but this does little to dampen spirits among a crowd which clearly expected as much, given the dire weather forecasts in the days leading up to Mór.

The fields where most of those present are camping are by now a mudbath, but the general atmosphere remains upbeat and good-humoured. A woman cooking a tin of beans and boiling tea in her tent continues on, regardless of the rain outside.

Bonnie Vance is one of the trustees and inhabitants of Charleville Castle.

Originally from New York, she laughs when asked how she feels about letting upwards of 1,700 people descend on her home.

"I suppose the thought of the aftermath is more serious than it is," she says. "Last year I was terrified, but I know a bit more now about how it is going to go . . . but it is very important because it raises funds for the castle.

"The place was built for entertaining people. Byron stayed here and entertained, so in a way, this is just a modern version of that."

Charleville Castle should be back to relative normality by Wednesday, bar a little wear and tear, she says with absolute confidence. Until next year, surely, that is.

© The Irish Times
Candie Hank .|..|

i thought it was great, despite the mud and rain.

.|..|=

tremors, northstation, fancygoods (the cd-r is cool), that indian sitar band on the sunday, philip jeck, warlords, donnacha costello (and his magic 303), digitonal, agitated radio pilot, anodyne, that weird skam-style beats set that galway barry was doing visuals for (no idea who was actually doing the music, doh), loads more.

missed loads of stuff i'd meant to see.

that crazy singer-songwriter tent in the arse end of the campsite confused me. great that it turned into a reggae soundsystem thing in the middle of the night. had a very drunken night sitting in various tents til 7am.

however, i don't understand this...

Alan Latchley said:
Bands like Agitated Radio Pilot really need to learn how to plug a lead out from an instrument for a start, and maybe even go so far as playing an instrumernt when said lead is in.
i mean, i think it's meant to be a criticism, but i actually can't get the point being made. can you explain what you mean?

candiehank-1.gif

Alan Latchley said:
Bands like Agitated Radio Pilot really need to learn how to plug a lead out from an instrument for a start,
That wasn't a lead being plugged out (give us a bit of credit:(), there was a problem with one of the mics, happened intermittently and happened in other people's sets too. Apologies if it spoiled the set.

Alan Latchley said:
and maybe even go so far as playing an instrumernt when said lead is in.
I not sure what you mean, should we all have been playing constantly:confused:

What about the castle adventure? We are the famous five etc etc...

FancyGoods said:
I had the great craic at that mor. kudos to the organisers!

Candy Hank was the highlight of the whole weekend, he was only amazin' . Didn't get to see everyone I wanted to but, of them that I did, highlights are Donnacha Costello, anodyne, Damien Frost, saw the end of the warlords, dara o brien + dermot sheehan, Tremors,Philip Jeck, loose electrix djs, 8 ball.

I wasn't really feelin Dave donohoes set, and was a bit dissapointed with umbrella spokes.

Personal highlights included
*falling outside the dance tent & making a fancy-shaped splatch in the mud and loosing but then finding my phone.
*on saturday night asking the dj in the acoustic tent(?) if I could scratch on the decks (which i am unable to do), him saying no and then me sitting on a stool stage left, sulking, only to fall over and burst through the tent. where I lay for upwards of 7 minutes hoping that nobody would notice my shame
*accidentally giving candy hank the impression I was gay for him, and acidentally dissing his hair by implying,during our brief conversation, that it looked funny because it was part of his act

Back a day late

My two cents:

Highlights: Booger - and the visuals to boot, Agitated Pilot Radio, Formica, My tent actually staying waterproof, Simple TEXT, Warlords of Pez, Parts of Damo Suzuki's set, The sitar thingy in the castle, The session in Joe Lees and not forgetting Fantastic Planet. Oh boy.

Lowlights: FUCKING WASPS, Adem - soooo boring, missing C40, Chuzzle, Ufeari, couple of the rock out bands on the main stage.

Well done to all, and kudos to Broken Arm.

P.S. anyone else get midge bites? Not as many as last year but ouch.....

tom. said:
i fancygoods (the cd-r is cool)
thanks man!

Jaker said:
What about the castle adventure? We are the famous five etc etc...
heh heh! forgot about this!

So and addition to my list of higlights!
* sneaking into the castle with jaker and climbing the spiral stairs thing up to the top of the highest turret, and being scared of falling down because we were hungover and had the fear.
Lowlight:
* forgeting to bring my camera up the turret

hahah Jaker! I remember you were scared to stand up on the turret. we climbed all the way up and you just lay down on the floor when we go there and peeped over the edge! hahah!...i was scared too

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back