Misogyny (4 Viewers)

I suppose I am working on the assumption that "I didn't do it" isn't enough to acquit a person.

So I was wondering if a) there's a legal issue where if it's he said/she said then no conviction is allowed in Ireland or b) there's more to the story that isn't in that Irish Times piece.

Mainly because I find it so literally unbelievable otherwise that I'm looking for a reason that makes sense here.

It's not that he said/she said disqualifies the case, rather that the case must be proven beyond reasonable doubt. With rape it usually comes down to one persons word v anothers and if the jury doesn't find the case beyond reasonable doubt then they must acquit.
A civil case may be taken wherein the accused can be found guilty on the balance of probabilities, this a lower burden of proof. As far as I know a civil case will not result in a jail term but instead compensation to be paid or an injunction taken out against the guilty party.

I don't find it unbelievable at all given the results of many many rape cases here. Like how many men have walked away with no record or custodial sentence even after being found guilty.

If found guilty they will have a record, even if no sentence is imposed.

What is the legal definition of consent? Is it a "yes" or the absence of a "no"? The outcome of this case suggests it's the absence-of-no (providing you're legally capable of giving consent)

According to the report I read she said she did say "No".

Explicit consent would require a verbal agreement in my opinion, in the absence of a "no" it is possible that consent could be implicit, but there would be room for doubt. If someone has said "No" they have refused consent and that should be respected.

What is the legal definition of consent? Is it a "yes" or the absence of a "no"? The outcome of this case suggests it's the absence-of-no (providing you're legally capable of giving consent)

As far as I know there is no legal definition, in which case the word is to be understood as is commonly used.
Regardless, here at least, a definition wouldn't really help as it was up to her legal team to prove a lack of consent beyond reasonable doubt, they obviously couldn't do that.

The lengths people will go to defend people they like

http://jezebel.com/what-should-we-say-about-david-bowie-and-lori-maddox-1754533894

Can't we consider having sex with children differently if someone was really really cool?
I rather think not.

It's sobering stuff alright. I read a Led Zeppelin biography years ago, and couldn't get over the blatant, open talk of underage sex. Something John Peel said on the topic certainly left a very sour taste too.

"Well, of course I didn’t ask for ID,’ he said. ‘All they wanted me to do was to abuse them sexually which, of course, I was only too happy to do.’ "

honouring a sex predator like John Peel BBC shows it’s learnt nothing

Nobody seems to keen on delving too deeply into the groupie era seventies and eighties.

Nobody seems to keen on delving too deeply into the groupie era seventies and eighties.
Everyone seems to be chuffed about it when it's presenters or DJs
Far less so when it's people they have an emotional attachment with through music.
Or football for that matter.

images

Everyone seems to be chuffed about it when it's presenters or DJs
Far less so when it's people they have an emotional attachment with through music.
Or football for that matter.

Thats probably why there's so much vitriol aimed at presenters and DJs - everyone was at it, and everyone knows everyone was at it but these guys look like creeps and aren't that cool so lets jump all over them lest we have to consider the cool people.

The all too common reaction is still "He's an inhuman monster! No real man, LIKE ME, could even consider the possibility of that happening"

which doesn't help matters at all. And gets all sorts of (here's that word) problematic when your heroes are involved.

Probably a similar situation for Ike WIFE BEATING MONSTER Turner and John WIFE BEATING HERO Lennon.

But hey, not me, I'm cool. I'm sickened by the very idea. Never had a racist thought in my life neither.

Last edited:
I know we all know this, but the "I know him and he's sound" mitigation is actually considered by the court

They really should start the stories with these statements, so we know just what kind of a solid citizen we're dealing with.

Counsel also handed in a letter from a friend of Tobin who described him as “the best friend you could ever wish for.”

The letter said that Tobin “had always been a joy to know” and was a “honest, reliable, kind and trustworthy” person.

Cork man who made woman choose rape implement jailed for 12 years

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back