Misogyny (1 Viewer)

maxresdefault.jpg

They have a radio show here - The Ted Radio Hour - now on my favourite station.
I find it annoying. And because I get so focused on cooking, I sometimes leave it on for longer than I should.
We have it here too, I think it's on Newstalk. The guy who presents it has the most annoying voice in the world. Plus Ted Talks are the infomercials of academic discourse. "You mean with just these five patents that you own, we could wipe out world cancer? - But wait, there's more!"

Had to put up with one of my housemates giving out about "overly PC bullshit" re: feminism the other day. I (we) tried to call him on it but he just pulled the classic "I already know all that" in response.

I fucking love this country. This is the reason we need consent classes and need to talk to our friends when they act out of line. This man should not be walking away from this.

Man (83) acquitted of raping teen after testifying sex consensual
Did the jury state that they acquitted him because she didn't explicitly say no or are they not allowed to find someone guilty if it's a he said/she said situation in this country?

The article seems a bit vague there or it's just something that I don't know about our legal system.

From the headline the Jury acquitted him because he said it was consensual. The quotes from the victim are pretty clear that it wasn't consensual. I don't have the court transcripts so can only base my statement on what the article says. If you want to argue that she had consented fine but it won't be with me.

I suppose I am working on the assumption that "I didn't do it" isn't enough to acquit a person.

So I was wondering if a) there's a legal issue where if it's he said/she said then no conviction is allowed in Ireland or b) there's more to the story that isn't in that Irish Times piece.

Mainly because I find it so literally unbelievable otherwise that I'm looking for a reason that makes sense here.

I don't find it unbelievable at all given the results of many many rape cases here. Like how many men have walked away with no record or custodial sentence even after being found guilty.

I actually did a search for "Judge Martin Nolan" on that. Surprised it wasn't him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back