Minor complaints thread (35 Viewers)

So how do we feel about the Chester Beatty library?
That stuff was purchased rather than pillaged afaik. But still..
Yeah, he made a massive fortune in mining about and acquired most of his collection via auction or direct purchase.

Some of his pieces may have a dodgy pedigree in terms of how the folks he bought them off of acquired them.

I was chatting to some of the people who work their recently, the collection is really vast, less than 1% on display

€50 for a knock off Walkman that looks like it’ll last more than 3 weeks.
I’m missing Argos for shit like this.

bought a powered mixer yoke from gear4music a few months ago, seems to have stopped working properly. dropped them a mail earlier, and mentioned i live near their irish 'office', could drop it around for assessment. got a convoluted form response about collection, repair times, etc.; i just want to call aorund with it, get it confirmed that it's failed and get them to replace it. but they mention repair can take up to 60 days...
anyone got any suggestion on how i could create a stopgap for our woodturning meeting on saturday? i'm definitely not going to get this thing fixed in time.
my wife did not like the suggestion of using her guitar amp...

Is any of it working?

If you are using a guitar amp the best approach is taking a line out from an unpowered mixer and inserting it to the fx loop return.

typically about 20. we have the demonstrators mic'ed up for several reasons; some talk quietly, there's a lathe running, we have a perspex screen between them and the audience, and a lot of the audience are elderly men, some whose hearing isn't great.

Yeah, a lot of it is odds and ends brought back from various corners of the empire by Anglo Irish, trinity has a few fairly significant Mughal manuscripts that were ‘acquired’at the sack of the red fort in dehli in 1857 for example

With the exception of the Chester Beaty library there’s not a significant single large collection of stuff (that I’m aware of - could be wrong!)

I don't know if it's a permanent exhibition but I was in the Cathal Brugha museum in the summer and there was a decent sized collection of asian stuff there. IIRC all part of a single lot purchased by a collector over the course of his life in the late 18th/early 19th century and then bequeathed to the state.

Yeah, he made a massive fortune in mining about and acquired most of his collection via auction or direct purchase.

Some of his pieces may have a dodgy pedigree in terms of how the folks he bought them off of acquired them.

I was chatting to some of the people who work their recently, the collection is really vast, less than 1% on display

Herself used to work there as well, doing workshops etc. Like you say, only a fraction is ever out. Maybe that's a criticism to be made of having the library, or at least having it there, the location in Dublin Castle isn't suitable for to house everything.

Herself used to work there as well, doing workshops etc. Like you say, only a fraction is ever out. Maybe that's a criticism to be made of having the library, or at least having it there, the location in Dublin Castle isn't suitable for to house everything.

yeah - the folks I was speaking to were saying the space is actually very limiting, with limited scope to expand/extend

also issues in terms of access etc.

anyone got any suggestion on how i could create a stopgap for our woodturning meeting on saturday? i'm definitely not going to get this thing fixed in time.
my wife did not like the suggestion of using her guitar amp...
rang session music dublin out near blanch - they don't do anything that small really. running a line out from a wireless mic receiver into a guitar amp would be a bad idea, yeah?

rang session music dublin out near blanch - they don't do anything that small really. running a line out from a wireless mic receiver into a guitar amp would be a bad idea, yeah?

Not necessarily. depends to some extent on the output level from the receiver.

you might have issues with feedback/sound quality if you were going directly into the input with a line-level output, but as @annpost suggested if it have effects send-return you could by pass the preamp stage by going into the return.

Do you have pa speakers? if the impedance matched you could connect one of those to the speaker out on the amp, if you were worried about damaging the guitar speaker (unlikely)

i somehow missed AP's post. the only amp i have immediately to hand would be my wife's marshall class 5 - which is as basic an amp you can get, no FX loop at all.

I think it’s true of all the big museums. The Natural History Museum only has 0.5 % of its collection on display and it’s packed in there as it is. Similarly for the London one, my friend worked there for a bit and I spent days just looking at insects in only one of the back rooms.

i somehow missed AP's post. the only amp i have immediately to hand would be my wife's marshall class 5 - which is as basic an amp you can get, no FX loop at all.

You'd probably get a fuckload of feedback running any kind of mic setup into that. I'd scope about for someone to loan you a busker amp or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back