Minor complaints thread (12 Viewers)

The Brits being Brits about the *Elgin marbles. The annoyance is increasing because in keep getting ads for Rapa Nui clothing. The Brits also still have an Easter island moai which I'm reminded of by Rapa Nui clothing.

The Brits being Brits about the *Elgin marbles. The annoyance is increasing because in keep getting ads for Rapa Nui clothing. The Brits also still have an Easter island moai which I'm reminded of by Rapa Nui clothing.
I went to the British Museum for the first time in 2018/19 and instead of the sense of awe and “isn’t that so interesting?” that everyone around us seemed to have, my wife and I really just appreciated the sheer scale of daylight robbery the empire performed. These are the things they kept, imagine what the consumables and the human costs looked like if you were to put them under one roof?

bought a powered mixer yoke from gear4music a few months ago, seems to have stopped working properly. dropped them a mail earlier, and mentioned i live near their irish 'office', could drop it around for assessment. got a convoluted form response about collection, repair times, etc.; i just want to call aorund with it, get it confirmed that it's failed and get them to replace it. but they mention repair can take up to 60 days...

The Brits being Brits about the *Elgin marbles.

There's been a slight uptick in the UK of them being called both Elgin and Parthenon marbles
Outside of England, the convention is to call them the Parthenon marbles brought to Britain by Lord Elgin, so people know what they're talking about.

I went to the British Museum for the first time in 2018/19 and instead of the sense of awe and “isn’t that so interesting?” that everyone around us seemed to have, my wife and I really just appreciated the sheer scale of daylight robbery the empire performed. These are the things they kept, imagine what the consumables and the human costs looked like if you were to put them under one roof?

They took these things, and beyond that, one of their primary reasons for not returning them is that only they can care for them properly.
Underlying that, is the Brits still don't think the Empire was that bad a thing, there's a very resilient belief that they gifted the world order out of chaos. Not a violent global enterprise that murdered and pillaged and raped and looted and burned towns, villages and cities as a matter of course.

Both of these things tell you volumes on how the English view themselves in relation to the rest of the world.
And it's pretty disgusting.

There's been a slight uptick in the UK of them being called both Elgin and Parthenon marbles
Outside of England, the convention is to call them the Parthenon marbles brought to Britain by Lord Elgin, so people know what they're talking about.

They took these things, and beyond that, one of their primary reasons for not returning them is that only they can care for them properly.
Underlying that, is the Brits still don't think the Empire was that bad a thing, there's a very resilient belief that they gifted the world order out of chaos. Not a violent global enterprise that murdered and pillaged and raped and looted and burned towns, villages and cities as a matter of course.

Both of these things tell you volumes on how the English view themselves in relation to the rest of the world.
And it's pretty disgusting.

I think you vastly overestimate the amount of time most English spend thinking about the British Museum. There's corrie and football.

My minor complaint, which I thought of because of MB's* complaint, I just got mugged off for sending an invoice which "Still uses our old address. Please update".

The "old address" was only ever a PO box. Also, sort your website out. You're literally a media, technology and communications company.

*I assume G4M don't really have a working office.

I think you vastly overestimate the amount of time most English spend thinking about the British Museum.
A lot of talk about Empire during Brexit and the Johnson years going by my memory

I know most people watch Love Island and GBBO and Mrs Brown's Boys, but the people who care about these things think and talk about them plenty

And when the English were asked to vote on Johnny FOreigner they voted by a clear majority, 'fuck that noise'

bought a powered mixer yoke from gear4music a few months ago, seems to have stopped working properly. dropped them a mail earlier, and mentioned i live near their irish 'office', could drop it around for assessment. got a convoluted form response about collection, repair times, etc.; i just want to call aorund with it, get it confirmed that it's failed and get them to replace it. but they mention repair can take up to 60 days...
"As our Irish hub is not a shop, we regret to inform you that it is not possible to take this to the hub and it does need to be collected by a courier."
it's about 3km from my house. now i have to wait till next week to have it collected.

Excuse me being a grumpy prick

I don't have to get up on my hobby horse every time someone mentions the Sassanach

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back