Minor complaints thread (14 Viewers)

UK businesses could and should be less shit about these things.

MB could, conceivably, drop his broken thing into the Ireland "office", it'll get sent off with whatever other post they have. Saves everyone time and money. Then pick it up in a while. But that would involve someone at G4M thinking about the kind of logistics that doesn't make money.

That's a lot more to do with bad organisational structures than it is to do with Anglo-Irish relations.

i work in a large organisation and choosing between predictable inefficiency, or expecting their staff to use their initiative, they will pick the former.

But you're not the only customer who needs to return/collect things. It should be part of the system anyway.

Nah, you've already done the emails.

You should be able to rock up, lob your thing in a box and then go live your life.

There's post going back and forth anyway, it's actually no extra cost to them.

There's been a slight uptick in the UK of them being called both Elgin and Parthenon marbles
Outside of England, the convention is to call them the Parthenon marbles brought to Britain by Lord Elgin, so people know what they're talking about.

They took these things, and beyond that, one of their primary reasons for not returning them is that only they can care for them properly.
Underlying that, is the Brits still don't think the Empire was that bad a thing, there's a very resilient belief that they gifted the world order out of chaos. Not a violent global enterprise that murdered and pillaged and raped and looted and burned towns, villages and cities as a matter of course.

Both of these things tell you volumes on how the English view themselves in relation to the rest of the world.
And it's pretty disgusting.

Pillaging/appropriating the world’s antiquities are not unique to the brits….*

*not a defence of the crimes of the British empire btw :)

Pillaging/appropriating the world’s antiquities are not unique to the brits….*

*not a defence of the crimes of the British empire btw :)

Of course
All the European empires are guilty of massive crimes

I'd be very surprised if the Greeks didn't have a bunch of stuff themselves plundered by Alexander
True, I've been listening to some of this interesting and somewhat annoying Empire podcast and they they're doing the Greek/Persian wars at the moment and looting was popular The Empire Podcast | Twitter, Instagram | Linktree

But you'd think in 2023 you might at least get cancelled for reveling in it

Are Scandinavian museums full of plunder looted by the Vikings from Irish monasteries?
Haha I wonder ... though I was in Norway the summer before last and there was almost nothing from the Viking era in the museums I visited

edit: Actually there wasn't really a Norwegian state back then to hold on to stuff looted from here, was there? Individual viking raiding parties probably just cashed in whatever they got and spent it on beer or whatever, so maybe it's the same for the Greeks seeing as Alexander's empire didn't persist

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back