Minor complaints thread (15 Viewers)

True, I've been listening to some of this interesting and somewhat annoying Empire podcast and they they're doing the Greek/Persian wars at the moment and looting was popular The Empire Podcast | Twitter, Instagram | Linktree

But you'd think in 2023 you might at least get cancelled for reveling in it
i'm sure you're aware of the 'stuff the british stole' podcast? i listened to one recently about pocahontas (more properly matoaka) who i had not known is buried in gravesend, kent.

Goes back a long way, too - outside the pantheon in Rome there's an obelisk pilfered by the Roman Empire from Egypt. I'm sure the Egyptians themselves did similar, and the Persians and the Mongols etc etc. That's just the way people are
The facade of the Cathedral in Venice has stuff from all over the ancient world.
The Egyptian Obelisk in the Place de la Concorde near the Champs is another blatant one.

Some people

We never invaded anyone or stole their shit. Lots of countries have never done it

I'd argue thats something of an accident of history rather than a unique characteristic of the irish people.

In the dark ages Irish raiders pillaged the west cost of britan (the st patrick myths for examples), and successfully colonised western scotland,. Scots Gaelic and indeed the name 'scotland' comes from this.

The successful colonial powers in more modern history were in many cases the ones who managed to create a hold together a more or less centrally controlled, unitary kingdom, at a relatively early point in their history.

We can certainly absolve the English for their global crimes by acknowledging that other similar things have also happened here and there, at one time or another

Should we really be angry about Israel's subjugation of the Palestinians? Pretty sure there's historical precedence for this.
Let's also give the rioters from last week a strong whataboutist defence, cos you know, violent demonstrations have also historically occurred.
It's what people do, after all.

England thanks you for your service.

The facade of the Cathedral in Venice has stuff from all over the ancient world.
Doge Enrico Dandolo of Venice basically managed to redirect the 4th(?) Crusade to Constantinople instead of the Holy Lands, so most of the stuff at St Marks was looted from Constantinople then. The 4 roman horses sculpture is crazy, Roman cast bronze from 2000 years ago and looks incredible.
Think Napoleon actually looted those and brought them to Paris, but they were later returned, like a fair amount of stuff that Napoleon took to Paris.

We can certainly absolve the English for their global crimes by acknowledging that other similar things have also happened here and there, at one time or another

Should we really be angry about Israel's subjugation of the Palestinians? Pretty sure there's historical precedence for this.
Let's also give the rioters from last week a strong whataboutist defence, cos you know, violent demonstrations have also historically occurred.

It’s not absolution to point out that no country or group of people is immune to it. That’s not to accept it but to be really careful that we don’t accept it. Murder has always happened, we don’t give people (unless they’re really rich) a pass on it.

The Brits don’t get a pass on it just because there has always been conquering and pillaging but if we start sniffing our own self-righteous farts and thinking we’re better than them because we didn’t do it in the past 800 years (not because we were immune to it but because we were under the yoke), then that’s just as delusional as them excusing themselves because it was “proper” to take Johnny Foreigner’s things away “for safekeeping”.

media
es.png

introducing historical context, saying one group of bastards aren't bastards purely because they happen to be born on a particular piece of rock, or have a miniscule piece of their genetic makeup different to the rest of humanity does not excuse their actions of bastardy.

I've agreed with you on many threads about the crimes of the british empire by the way, here (ireland) and elsewhere.

We never invaded anyone or stole their shit. Lots of countries have never done it
We actually have a heap of cultural 'souvenirs' lying around the place and there's discussions happening about formulating a policy on repatriation (where asked (and where we think the foreigners are good enough to look after their own stuff)).

We actually have a heap of cultural 'souvenirs' lying around the place and there's discussions happening about formulating a policy on repatriation (where asked (and where we think the foreigners are good enough to look after their own stuff)).

Yeah, a lot of it is odds and ends brought back from various corners of the empire by Anglo Irish, trinity has a few fairly significant Mughal manuscripts that were ‘acquired’at the sack of the red fort in dehli in 1857 for example

With the exception of the Chester Beaty library there’s not a significant single large collection of stuff (that I’m aware of - could be wrong!)

Yeah, a lot of it is odds and ends brought back from various corners of the empire by Anglo Irish, trinity has a few fairly significant Mughal manuscripts that were ‘acquired’at the sack of the red fort in dehli in 1857 for example

With the exception of the Chester Beaty library there’s not a significant single large collection of stuff (that I’m aware of - could be wrong!)

So how do we feel about the Chester Beatty library?
That stuff was purchased rather than pillaged afaik. But still..

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back