Minor complaints thread (21 Viewers)

That's certainly modern BMWs alright

Somewhere in the depths of the internet I saw someone explain it recently that it's not so much that they expect nothing to break, it's that they expect people to read the manual cover to cover and follow the instructions, in which case nothing will break. Mindsets and all that.

Somewhere in the depths of the internet I saw someone explain it recently that it's not so much that they expect nothing to break, it's that they expect people to read the manual cover to cover and follow the instructions, in which case nothing will break. Mindsets and all that.
Not sure about that. I've mentioned the Myth of German Technical Excellence before.

Sort of, but not really. I've nothin to do with IADT - I teach in TU Dublin and the courses I'm involved in don't have portfolio-based submissions. Did some teaching in NCAD for a bit but it was on a photography course.

For what's it's worth, I thought Egg's kids film was great. Really imaginative and very accomplished. I don't really know what they are looking for in these sorts of application situations but I would have thought it would have been a shoe-in for an animation course but also pretty appealing to a film course too because of its demonstration of visual sense and storytelling ability.

I think taking a year to do one of those portfolio-preparation courses is a pretty common route into those sorts of programmes.

My neighbour was telling me the other day that he might have to replace the headlight on his 2009 Lexus. Fairly standard is300 you'd see a lot. €800.

My neighbour was telling me the other day that he might have to replace the headlight on his 2009 Lexus. Fairly standard is300 you'd see a lot. €800.
Like the unit is 800 snots or that's what the shop want to charge him to install?

Anything like this you can do yourself with Youtube

I just did the indicator bulb on the van for a fiver

he bought a new bulb for it (€90 for one in ireland, because it's a xenon bulb, he got two for €120 from a german site), but it didn't work so he brought it to a mechanic. the mechanic told him it wasn't the bulb, it's the ballast, and there's something about that even if you can get the ballast, you have to somehow seal the unit from the inside, so his mechanic is going to try but is promising nothing.

he bought a new bulb for it (€90 for one in ireland, because it's a xenon bulb, he got two for €120 from a german site), but it didn't work so he brought it to a mechanic. the mechanic told him it wasn't the bulb, it's the ballast, and there's something about that even if you can get the ballast, you have to somehow seal the unit from the inside, so his mechanic is going to try but is promising nothing.
Well, I guess they've both looked at it

Hard to think this wouldn't solve everything

But they must know better

800 fucking quid for a headlight though
That would mess up even Ann Post's spreadsheet

Really imaginative and very accomplished. I don't really know what they are looking for in these sorts of application situations but I would have thought it would have been a shoe-in for an animation course but also pretty appealing to a film course too because of its demonstration of visual sense and storytelling ability.
Thanks @hugh , I'll show her your post, might cheer her up a bit. Just a bit worried that it isn't the right course for her at all if they don't like this

Well, I guess they've both looked at it

Hard to think this wouldn't solve everything

But they must know better

800 fucking quid for a headlight though
That would mess up even Ann Post's spreadsheet

I had a great nissan once I got for 670 euro.

Actually this would splain why all the young boy racer lexus guys have aftermarket go faster headlights on them

I'm in a different economy but 2200 is new car territory for me
New (secondhand) car is going to be way more than €2200 though. If we were to do a straight swap for even a slightly newer version of this one, it’s going to be €20,000. And as it stands we can’t comfortably fit the whole family into it.

New (secondhand) car is going to be way more than €2200 though. If we were to do a straight swap for even a slightly newer version of this one, it’s going to be €20,000. And as it stands we can’t comfortably fit the whole family into it.

WAYYY more

Why assume it has be newer

WAYYY more

Showing me that a cheaper car exists doesn’t help me find a car that actually suits my needs. You understand that I can’t put one of the children in the boot?

Showing me that a cheaper car exists doesn’t help me find a car that actually suits my needs. You understand that I can’t put one of the children in the boot?

You need to put your child count in all your posts or i cant search the internet for you. But also i drive a 7 seater i got for 3800. 3 isofix things.

I'm not really talking about excellence though, or efficiency, more that people would just like read the manual.

Show of hands here, who's read the service cycle for thier car?

fair enough. Thanks for mentioning efficiency also, I assumed that was implied, and apparently it was.

I don't own a car so maybe I should shut my typing mouth. I still don't think, with respect, that the Germans are that bothered. Remember, most of those Germans are actually Poles and Turks in Germany, shrugging their shoulders and thinking "well, it's not my fault if they fuck it". So I guess I agree with you sort of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back