Minor complaints thread (40 Viewers)

No bubbles?
An astute question. Where I followed the instructions and applied three coats, no bubbles. However, I flew too close to the sun. In my high-traffic area I applied FOUR coats, and didn't sand in between, and it is a little textured. 'Bubbles' isn't the right word, but maybe a little dimpled.

An astute question. Where I followed the instructions and applied three coats, no bubbles. However, I flew too close to the sun. In my high-traffic area I applied FOUR coats, and didn't sand in between, and it is a little textured. 'Bubbles' isn't the right word, but maybe a little dimpled.

The bubbles are more to do with viscosity or surface condition than than they are with the application method.
Not looking to crosstalk anyone
Bubbles will come from any spongey roller, especially with a lot of force on the roller.
The dimples are more likely from just a slightly too-heavy coat
But could be the surface too.

both of these can be remedied by 'brushing out' the rolled surface. i.e. apply with roller, use dry brush to even everything out.
Obviously brushing is gonna eliminate a lot of the back wellness benefits you get from using a roller.

If it's clean and solid and you did it yourself, you have everything to be proud of. They are your dimples.

Paints are chemically designed to have a viscosity that when the medium (water/oil) flashes off (evaporates) it capillary actions itself into a flat surface. If the paint is stirred to kindom come and the wall is clean and free of moisture than even roller bubbles will dry flat.

Paints are chemically designed to have a viscosity that when the medium (water/oil) flashes off (evaporates) it capillary actions itself into a flat surface. If the paint is stirred to kindom come and the wall is clean and free of moisture than even roller bubbles will dry flat.
*puts on chemistry face*
Water isn’t a medium, it’s a solvent. If it evaporates without a trace, it’s a solvent. The medium is the chemical left behind that gives the finish and the pigment gives the colour. Acrylic in craft paints is a common medium, without pigment it dries to leave a transparent film behind (usually using water as a solvent). Oils are both solvents and media, they mostly evaporate away but leave more or less fatty residues behind to also act as a medium. You can dilute your paint with either a solvent or more medium, using more medium usually will make it more workable but disperses the pigment better to keep the colour intense (whereas water will make it more washed out). Very little of this is relevant to painting a house though.

*puts on chemistry face*
Water isn’t a medium, it’s a solvent. If it evaporates without a trace, it’s a solvent. The medium is the chemical left behind that gives the finish and the pigment gives the colour. Acrylic in craft paints is a common medium, without pigment it dries to leave a transparent film behind (usually using water as a solvent). Oils are both solvents and media, they mostly evaporate away but leave more or less fatty residues behind to also act as a medium. You can dilute your paint with either a solvent or more medium, using more medium usually will make it more workable but disperses the pigment better to keep the colour intense (whereas water will make it more washed out). Very little of this is relevant to painting a house though.

My chemistry terminology isn't really something i'd pride myself on - this is just how i had paint explained to me when i was painting houses.

(rushes in to seem clever) there's a difference between oils as well for use as finishes - 'drying' oils polymerise and leave a coating behind (e.g. linseed oil); but some evaporate away completely and i'd usually only use them for chopping boards, etc.

it's the polymerising ones which can catch fire if you roll up the oil stained cloths.

This is floors and it's varnish

Your varnish medium will pool on floors. This isn't theory, it's experience. and an understanding of gravity's effect on liquids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back