Minor complaints thread (17 Viewers)

My eldest just did her interview for the film course she wants to do in IADT next year. They were a bit dismissive of her portfolio - she had put a vast amount of effort into making a stop-motion movie, and they were asking why she didn't apply for the animation course (which she's not interested in) instead. Seems like the fact it wasn't live action put them off. Bleurgh. Disappointing. She hasn't got the actual score for the portfolio yet, but it's not looking terribly hopeful based on today
Don't know the particulars here, but often they have to test the applicant to make sure they are sure of their choices and stop a poor decision before it happens
Clearly your kid knows what she wants - and I'll bet that came through

I reckon she might have done better than she thinks; when you're young like that you can take questioning as criticism

Just a take

My eldest just did her interview for the film course she wants to do in IADT next year. They were a bit dismissive of her portfolio - she had put a vast amount of effort into making a stop-motion movie, and they were asking why she didn't apply for the animation course (which she's not interested in) instead. Seems like the fact it wasn't live action put them off. Bleurgh. Disappointing. She hasn't got the actual score for the portfolio yet, but it's not looking terribly hopeful based on today
Sorry, that sucks. In my experience art schools tend to be so close minded, which seems opposite to what they should be… thinking outside the box! Encourage not discourage!

I remember my first day, going in all excited only to walk away feeling crushed. Literally it was like, what ever your dream is…. It will only happen to one of you, even if that, so drop all expectations. I felt like packing up and going home. Four years later, I hated the only thing I ever loved doing. I still can’t get any joy from it.

Did she apply to any other programs? My partner’s (who you know) daughter applied there and NCAD (not for film) but I think she wants the latter. His other daughter is hoping to go for film in two years time. We were taking with her last weekend about starting a portfolio now, so it’s good information to have.

Hopefully she isn’t too upset and she gets in to the program she wants. Don’t let them damper her creativity, exploration and dream. ❤️

The only thing I was good at in school was art. Pretty much everyone, including myself expected me to go to art college. I drew all the time. I always got As in tests for what it's worth. When it came to interview time I blew every one of them. I had no idea how to talk about art or what I expected from art college.

Ended up doing some bullshit course in a tech.

Still wonder what could have been. I'd probably be wearing a beret and talking shite to other insufferable starving artists instead of posting here.

Thanks guyzzz. I was really surprised about the interview tbh - she's creative and inventive and really good visually and really I thought she'd be exactly the sort of kid a film school would be looking for ... and then from listening to her describe the interview I got the impression they were looking for Seriousness rather than the sort of goofy exuberance that she exudes. Anyway she'll get the actual score by the end of the week, and we'll know then how well she has to do in the Leaving to get in, and whether that's achievable

i'll be meeting a chap this evening for pints, whose son is doing that course. i'll show him this thread.

his wife is an art teacher, we had a bit of a chat recently about where the balance lies for her in terms of getting her students good results, and simply giving them an appreciation and understanding of art,

Thanks guyzzz. I was really surprised about the interview tbh - she's creative and inventive and really good visually and really I thought she'd be exactly the sort of kid a film school would be looking for ... and then from listening to her describe the interview I got the impression they were looking for Seriousness rather than the sort of goofy exuberance that she exudes. Anyway she'll get the actual score by the end of the week, and we'll know then how well she has to do in the Leaving to get in, and whether that's achievable
seems to me like this is all happening in a way that gives her great material for all those award acceptance speeches she'll get to make. And there'll hopefully be a lot of red-faced wankers in that art school as a result.

The only thing I was good at in school was art. Pretty much everyone, including myself expected me to go to art college. I drew all the time. I always got As in tests for what it's worth. When it came to interview time I blew every one of them. I had no idea how to talk about art or what I expected from art college.

Still wonder what could have been. I'd probably be wearing a beret and talking shite to other insufferable starving artists instead of posting here.

those insufferable staving artists don't know what they've missed out on

I didn’t get enough points in the Leaving for what I really wanted. I reassessed, did Arts in UCD instead, and got back to what I originally wanted for a Master’s (on my second time applying). Got a first and all, so I did. Don’t let any setback here crush those dreams; if there are later options, they might be worth waiting for.

Depends on the amount of applicants. If they need the numbers she'll get it. Maybe on the day they were worried about the numbers applying to Animation.

FWIW. I did "art" then a TV and media thing (related to film I suppose). All I got out of that was knowing I didn't ever want to do TV or film and that I should have stuck with the art. I found my way back to it in a way but without qualifications, which would have helped. oh well

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

What happened here with the score?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back