Minor complaints thread (17 Viewers)

people overfilling kettles makes my teeth itch. whatever way i'm wired, i hate seeing unnecessary waste like that; and my mother in law is the very worst for it. but we were out there at the weekend, and i copped that their kettle has a minimum indicated fill level of 1.2L; whoever designed that kettle should be shot. that's more than four standard cups.

I do that all the time.
I think it’s from a childhood spent making bit rounds of tea for people.

I do that all the time.
I think it’s from a childhood spent making bit rounds of tea for people.
someone once posited to me that one reason people overfill kettles hearks (harks?) back to the days when they were sat on a stove top or didn't have an automatic off; to reduce the chance of it accidentally boiling dry. i'm not convinced.

people overfilling kettles makes my teeth itch. whatever way i'm wired, i hate seeing unnecessary waste like that; and my mother in law is the very worst for it. but we were out there at the weekend, and i copped that their kettle has a minimum indicated fill level of 1.2L; whoever designed that kettle should be shot. that's more than four standard cups.
1713450864222.png

someone once posited to me that one reason people overfill kettles hearks (harks?) back to the days when they were sat on a stove top or didn't have an automatic off; to reduce the chance of it accidentally boiling dry. i'm not convinced.
my missus does that all the time, but its because when/where she grew up they had lots of problems with the water supply. The water often turns brown or yellow depending on what affluent is after making its way into the water supply. Other times the water supply cuts off, and can stay cut off for hours. They developed a habit of keeping containers of water filled at all times so they'd have something to tide them over until the water supply was ok again.

Na
Nah, bollocks.

People overfilled kettles on a stove because hot water is handy to have, and the range is burning in any case. Old timey kettles would whistle of course.
And as Reets says, you're always making tae anyway.

With regards to 'overfilling the kettle';

Surely if you know you're going to be making tea again in 15 minutes it makes sense to have boiled the kettle with that additional water in it and heat that water too so it takes less time to boil when you're reboiling the kettle

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back