Minor complaints thread (9 Viewers)

why do other motorists flash at me to warn me that i am approaching a garda checkpoint that they have just passed through? what am i supposed to do with this information? use the valuable five seconds to concoct a reasonable alibi??

Well checkpoints are a deterrent more than enforcement. That's why the guards tell you where the checkpoints will be. So if a fellow citizen tells you that there's a checkpoint down the road, that deters you from doing naughty things. It's how police should work really.

Where I live, the police horses trot around a couple of times a day. Some people find that unnecessarily intimidating and a bit useless, "They're trying to terrorise us maaaan!". Personally I think their clippity-clop hooves gives the nare-do-wells enough time to walk away before any trouble needs to happen. And so, there's no trouble.

Also the kids love the horsepigs, which helps with community policing.

checkpoints advertised ahead of time are bloody pointless though. it won't stop me from jacking a jewellery truck, but merely inform me of which roads to avoid when making off with the loot.

Well, are you planning on jacking a jewellery truck?
That's not the point of the mobile checkpoints. Though if they happen to catch some bad guys with their swag then that's a bonus.

I once got cornered in a pub by a mates dad who had been a guard in the border areas and then got transferred to my area. Up North, he was dealing with all the normal guard stuff with the extra special sauce of terrorists who were always in some way involved in domestic violence/drug dealing/drink-driving etc.

He got transferred and was told to fulfill his quota of arrests no matter what. So his colleagues were arresting people for vagrancy and solicitation and stuff. Then, when a rape or a murder happened, he'd ask around "You were around, did you see anything that night?", the homeless and the hookers would tell him to fuck off. They didn't trust him or anyone else in uniform. There is a greater benefit to policing with a light touch.

why do other motorists flash at me to warn me that i am approaching a garda checkpoint that they have just passed through? what am i supposed to do with this information? use the valuable five seconds to concoct a reasonable alibi??
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

HAMSTERDAM

Aiding and abetting?

I used to do that as naive young driver, now I want people to get speeding tickets.

it's not even a speeding checkpoint that i see it at recently, it's just a standard covid era one where you can see the flashing lights from a good distance off anyway.
it's on the road alongside the runway at dublin airport. they've been there regularly enough since lockdown ended a couple of weeks ago.

the amount of dangerous driving i see i ring Garda Traffic watch, which is embarrassing. they almost know me by name at this stage

My girlfriend says that since she's known me about the only time she sees me get angry is when someone does something stupid on the road when she's in the car with me.

I read that as "We've fucked up but it's not our fault, honest, it's the virus mutating that did it"
I think he just needed something to say. Fundamentally this mutation thing doesn't change anything we should've been doing anyway.

The problem is, as I see it, there's loads of poor people living in small multi-generational households, or in cramped house-shares, who need to go to whatever work they have, and their kids need to go to school.

I'd really hoped they'd do it borough by borough. My ends are amazingly in the lower half of infection rates. I think putting all of London and the surrounds in the same boat is going to encourage people to take the piss.

It's all quite a bit of a downer though, even though it doesn't really affect my work. You can feel the bad vibes in the air here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back