Mad Men Season 6 (2 Viewers)

Well if you ignore the character he plays he's certainly a good looking lad and no doubting the similarity:
Vincent-Kartheiser-01.jpg

Yeah. I want them together but she fucked up. Never should have retold the story. I was actually saying, "Nooooo, stop!" as she was doing it. Never break loyalty. It's a tough lesson learned.

Yeah. I want them together but she fucked up. Never should have retold the story. I was actually saying, "Nooooo, stop!" as she was doing it. Never break loyalty. It's a tough lesson learned.

It's in keeping with her character though. Interesting but not someone I'd have any time for in real life.

Because she is a workaholic or lacks social skills and varied interests? I'm intrigued.

Yeah those things for sure but also someone who'd fall for Pete, cheat on her boyfriend with Duck that kind of shit. Also I don't want to say her ambition because that would be grossly chauvinistic but she wears that trait on her sleeve too much I feel to the detriment to the rest of her characteristics - intelligence, wit, perceptiveness etc. People I've come across like that in real-life are, more often than not, male and immediately dislikeable.

Yeah those things for sure but also someone who'd fall for Pete, cheat on her boyfriend with Duck that kind of shit. Also I don't want to say her ambition because that would be grossly chauvinistic but she wears that trait on her sleeve too much I feel to the detriment to the rest of her characteristics - intelligence, wit, perceptiveness etc. People I've come across like that in real-life are, more often than not, male and immediately dislikeable.

I always felt a bit sad for Peggy mostly because she is a foreigner in that world. I don't mean in the grand scheme of 'woman in a man's world' but just the simple differences that make you automatically feel unwelcome, even if you're not. It puts one on the defense. The rituals, the jokes and the common everyday experience is wholly different than hers before, even if doesn't seem so from the outside. It's not unlike moving Ireland, people generally seem similar but when you get right down to it, it's clear I'm an outsider. References are lost and the rhythm of speech and phrases just don't sound right coming from me as someone who grew up here. People have their groups and it's hard to be the new person (unless very outgoing) because no one really needs anyone new in the same way you do. I assumed that's why Don took interest and kept a peripheral eye on her because he's foreign too and gets it. It's kind of a sink or swim situation.

I can't fault her for falling for Pete early on. It was the easy way out (or in, rather) and lots of people take it. Someone in the place she wanted to belong took interest so she accepted it. It's a pretty human response. Duck was probably her testing her morals, which had to be done as part of exploring that world. Did she succeed or fail, that's up to interpretation but I don't think we've seen Peggy has herself in a long time. Like Don she has two faces and we only see work lately. It's why I liked the developments this season with her and Stan because in those conversations she was herself and not playing the role she created to survive, which is extremely unlikeable. "Everyone hates me here"... "Of course they do." Brilliance. Trying to fit in any place, being insecure and ultimately alone it is shitty feeling. Isn't it why Don keeps trying to reinvent his life over and over?

She's a fascinating character and obviously has some excellent attributes otherwise she wouldn't be. And of course you feel for her a lot of the time. But would you really want to hang out with her?

The thing is lots of people like her but ultimately she shuns all of them: Pete, Kenny, Joyce and now probably Stan. She treats her boyfriend pretty miserably.

As to her relationship with Don I would say he saw drive and talent in her rather than a kindred spirit, at least initially. And does he keep trying to reinvent himself? If he does he keeps failing. He's essentially the same man since episode 1. Of course he talks about reinvention and new beginnings because that's the game he's in. In fact one of the great things that the show illustrates time and again is that while the world changes and society is changing all the time, people don't change all that much. At least not as much as you think they do and no matter how hard they try.

She's a fascinating character and obviously has some excellent attributes otherwise she wouldn't be. And of course you feel for her a lot of the time. But would you really want to hang out with her?

The thing is lots of people like her but ultimately she shuns all of them: Pete, Kenny, Joyce and now probably Stan. She treats her boyfriend pretty miserably.

No, probably not.
Also explains a lot.

As to her relationship with Don I would say he saw drive and talent in her rather than a kindred spirit, at least initially. And does he keep trying to reinvent himself? If he does he keeps failing. He's essentially the same man since episode 1. Of course he talks about reinvention and new beginnings because that's the game he's in. In fact one of the great things that the show illustrates time and again is that while the world changes and society is changing all the time, people don't change all that much. At least not as much as you think they do and no matter how hard they try.

That's why I said, trying to reinvent because he can sell almost anything, even Don Drapper, but in the end he is still [insert what ever his original name was here]. Isn't that what happiness/love is... being able to be yourself and finding someone who accepts it (even if you don't) instead of trying to change you? That's why no one is happy on this show. They are all walking ads of who they want or think they should be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back