Linux OS (1 Viewer)

Repelies

Thinking of getting this OS and putting it on a pen drive. Heard a lot of positive things about..anyone here use it?

If so what do you like about it and is there any software or programs that you can recommend for me.

Cheers....

If your needs are basic (documents, email, media viewing) then its totally cool. If you do anything specific (audio/video editing) then it can be limiting. I did two years running puppy linux off a memory stick, tis grand in basics. No harm trying.

"Linux OS" is a pretty vague term, there's literally hundreds of variants out there. What do you want to do with the system? The basic system to thrown on a USB stick would be the most recent Ubuntu.

"Linux OS" is a pretty vague term, there's literally hundreds of variants out there. What do you want to do with the system? The basic system to thrown on a USB stick would be the most recent Ubuntu.

Linux Mint 17 "Qiana" 16 bit

That better?

If your needs are basic (documents, email, media viewing) then its totally cool. If you do anything specific (audio/video editing) then it can be limiting. I did two years running puppy linux off a memory stick, tis grand in basics. No harm trying.

Grand, will give it a try. Thanks.

Mint is great.My fave..I've tried about 15 distros..but as was said before..its only good for day to day stuff.

Any serious computing requires Windows

Mint is great.My fave..I've tried about 15 distros..but as was said before..its only good for day to day stuff.

Any serious computing requires Windows

I think it is a brilliant operating system for the bare basics as you say. Funnily enough it was the folk on this site that told me to get an iso copy after my Windows Vista was stuck in a reboot loop. I am back with Windows now but this did the job adequately when I needed it.

BlackGrape ; When you download stuff you have to go into Synaptic Package Manager under Administration. There is a heap of good programs that come available with Linux and you can find them with a quick Google search. Bleachbit is the equivalent to CCleaner which I found handy, DeVede is great for burning videos onto DVD's and minitube downloads Youtube videos that you can play on your media player (that's if you have one).

It is definitely worth a try and its free..Enjoy! :)

Thanks Go & Anthem for that comprehensive reply. Would you believe it but I picked up a load of DVD R's in nearby charity shop in Phibsboro the other day. Can't wait to give that Devede a go now.

Thanks Go & Anthem for that comprehensive reply. Would you believe it but I picked up a load of DVD R's in nearby charity shop in Phibsboro the other day. Can't wait to give that Devede a go now.
If you want to have some craic with Linux..and it is A LOAD OF FUN.try out a few different ones.

I was basically trying to bring and old Pentium D back to life.Just to use as a media box..until I discovered that they were the must electricity hungey cpus Intel ever made.I ran it constantly last chrimbo..ran up an extra oner on my ESB bill!So I fucked it back in the wardrobe.
I started with Puppy.Was cool.Ran like grease lightening,but was a bit fisher price looking.
Then Lubuntu..thats a great distro...but a bit buggy.Weird things would happen in the middle of the night.
Then I went for BODHI ENLIGHTENMENT...man oh man..THE ZEN BUHDDIST of Linux ..the most beautiful looking OS you ever saw.
But was a pain in the hole to navigate.I was using the fancy frontend.
Then..MINT!With the Cinnamon desktop.I WAS HOOKED.
Put it on my lappy...even tried to get it going on my music workstaion...i7..state of the art thing.But Linux SUCKS for audio.Don't ever try it.
Then,one day I was trying to do stop motion photography with my lappy...and lost a whole day trying to set it up.

So..that was the day Linux left my life.

My brother is a programer..writes software for Canon and bank machines.And he warned me to stay clear of linux.I ignored him.Til I learned for myself what an unbelievable pain in the gicker it is

i use xubuntu, which is ubuntu with the xfce desktop. simple and lacking in bloatware. i use it at work, osx at home. linux is perfect for any kind of software related work. outside of work, you don't have decent audio/visual editing software, and the games aren't there either (serious computing?). for hosting production software, linux is what we've used anywhere i've worked.

Recommended:

Puppy Linux for older machines.
Xubuntu or Linux Mint for "pretty decent" machines
Ubuntu for all the whistles and bells on a newer machine.

I settled on Mint a while back.

I did actually record audio in debian for a year. It does function, it just wont be plugin heaven or anything.
well, by audio editing software i mean daw suites. for recording, you can always use audacity, which is what i'd use on windows/osx anyway.

and while i'm at it, audio driver issues have been entirely absent for me in the past 3 years or so. anywhere i put xubuntu these days, it "just works" in that regard.

bottom line for long term stability with a linux distribution:
* keep it up-to-date (i check for updates daily and always install them)
* keep it vanilla. don't install experimental window decorations like compiz - they just end up breaking your system

>Ubuntu for all the whistles and bells on a newer machine.
what? amazon search integration? i don't want those bells. this is why i prefer xubuntu. you get all the eye candy and application support you'd get otherwise, just no unity shite. this is supposed to be the benefit of using mint, but my experiences have been bad with mint - it doesn't have unity (great), but it's still pretty bloated

>Ubuntu for all the whistles and bells on a newer machine.
what? amazon search integration? i don't want those bells. this is why i prefer xubuntu. you get all the eye candy and application support you'd get otherwise, just no unity shite. this is supposed to be the benefit of using mint, but my experiences have been bad with mint - it doesn't have unity (great), but it's still pretty bloated

Mint worked better from word go for me than any of the other distros I tried. I preferred the look and feel of Xubuntu but I contstantly had issues with internet related stuff.

For anybody who wants to go poking around their options:
DistroWatch.com: Put the fun back into computing. Use Linux, BSD. - look to the most popular versions chart on the right of the page...

Its a hell of a lotta fun trying out all the distros.

I thought the one that was built for audio was gonna be the way forward for me.But it was just too flakey,I spent more time troubleshooting than writing.

Although there is version of Reaper ported for Linux..but its a good way behind the super far out latest and greatest version.

Ardour..can't cut it yet for serious audio work

After having to reinstall Windows 7 on my girlfriend's laptop a few times in the last while I decided I'd put the latest Xubuntu on it too, so now it's a dual boot machine with Xubuntu launching by default.

I'm surprised, she actually loves it. So much faster than Windows for general browsing and internet dicking around, facebook, email, streaming TV etc, and safer too.

She now keeps Windows 7 for the rare occasions when she needs to photoshop or something else very specifically Windows, like Steam or whatever.

Would definitely recommend for people with slightly older machines, or for your parents who only really use a laptop for basic internet stuff who are having windows nightmares.

Get Xubuntu « Xubuntu

I'm posting this from Simplicity Linux.
Super light because it's based on puppy linux, but with a slicker desktop environment (it uses LXDE) http://simplicitylinux.org/

Comes with the following already installed:
Firefox
Dropbox
LIbreOffice
Transmission BitTorrent client

and of course a shit-ton of other stuff.

Spotify didn't work in Firefox, but Deezer does.
You can use Online Image Editor | Pixlr Express | Autodesk Pixlr online for basic image editing.
Netflix doesn't work (for me at least - I see some people with it on their desktop)
Youtube works

Quite nice indeed.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I'm posting this from Simplicity Linux.
Super light because it's based on puppy linux, but with a slicker desktop environment (it uses LXDE) http://simplicitylinux.org/

Comes with the following already installed:
Firefox
Dropbox
LIbreOffice
Transmission BitTorrent client

and of course a shit-ton of other stuff.

Spotify didn't work in Firefox, but Deezer does.
You can use Online Image Editor | Pixlr Express | Autodesk Pixlr online for basic image editing.
Netflix doesn't work (for me at least - I see some people with it on their desktop)
Youtube works

Quite nice indeed.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back