let's yak about the choonz (3 Viewers)

Stan Bowles said:
Ahh to be fair they rip off MBV too. Nothing new or original but its good enough.

well i only heard one tune but it actually WAS "goo":eek:
they lift bits of JAMC too apparently.
music that isn't new or original is pointless!
listening to caribou is ok but it makes me wanna listen to can!

Justin Toner said:
I'm really sorry if I insulted anyone. The jibe was directed at Tuareg drivers. Sorry if you are one.

I think it's more you referring to the various artists as "cac" that I interpreted as possibly insulting to fans of those groups you mention. Apologies if you meant that as a compliment.

Justin Toner said:
It's the principle of taking spontaneous, improvised recordings and overdubbing post-facto with which I disagree (hence the Patterson/McCormack reference. Could easily have used Nat King & Nathalie Cole). If the Cooders, Cachaito, &c. had been in the studio, that's different.

Well, we'll disagree here. I'm not nearly as concerned about the process by which music is made as I am by the end result. As with all art, it's dangerous, if not impossible, to figure out the artists' original intent only from the finished product, so, in my opinion, neither you nor I are in a position to say whether or not Cooder et al.'s post-production involvement was against the original spirit in which Toure and Diabate made the recordings.

Justin Toner said:
The difference between this and e.g. Magic Numbers, is that this seems designed to appeal to the Three-CDs-per-year crowd.

Perhaps, but I don't necessarily see that as saying the CD itself isn't any good. You listed Sade's "Lovers Rock" in your "Now Playing" box above, and I'd say that you could just as easily level your three-CDs-per-year accusation against her. But you like her (or that song, at least), and plenty of people I know who buy not just three, but three hundred, CDs a year have enjoyed the Toure/Diabate CD.

Justin Toner said:
Cooders' participation was at the behest of Nick Gold.

Okay, didn't know that, but that's different from claiming that neither Toure nor Diabate knew Cooder would be involved. I've just looked around the web and haven't found anything indicating either of them saying, "hey, who let him on the record?"

Justin Toner said:
J., disagreeing.

Fair enough.

Paul

giveadogabone said:
music that isn't new or original is pointless!
Name me five records records that you have bought in the last year that are truely new and completely original. Everything is ripped of someone else, some people are just more obvious than others.

Stan Bowles said:
Name me five records records that you have bought in the last year that are truely new and completely original. Everything is ripped of someone else, some people are just more obvious than others.

I can 100% confirm that the above statement is true.

Well ultimately, anything we classify as music must be perceived as similar in some way to other things we classify as music, so it can't be completely original - if it was, we'd call it "zigsplat" or suchlike.

Stan Bowles said:

quasiquasi said:
Well ultimately, anything we classify as music must be perceived as similar in some way to other things we classify as music, so it can't be completely original - if it was, we'd call it "zigsplat" or suchlike.
note to self - Zigsplat - good name for a band.

Justin Toner said:
Just got it yesterday. Cello/piano duos. These arrangements are based on the original T.A. de Hartmann transcriptions. Eastern/Sufi-tinged. Booklet essay looks like it might shed some light. As might next week's Lechner/Tsabropoulis gig in Liberty Hall, opening for Louis Sclavis' Napoli's Walls quartet.

I like this cd a lot, been listening to it for a couple of months now. However, the best tune on it is by Tsabropoulos, and it seems that Gurdjieff's collaborator did most of the work composing the pieces credited to Gurdjieff. Gurdjieff would hum a melody to Hartmann and Hartmann would put harmonies etc to it. The melodies seem to be from old Armenian folk tunes. Sparse arrangements, but rich and beautifully produced sounds, the typical careful ECM production, in a nice way. Such a surprise to hear they're coming to Dublin! I'm sure it will be brilliant. Louis Sclavis...he the free jazz dude? This could be an amazing gig!

Current listening:
Marc Ribot...Some Cuban album thing he did, it's fantastic. Really chilled and beautifully played. Got a copied cd of it last week, and liked it so much I went out and bought Yo I Killed Your God immediately. Completely different buzz yeah?
Masada...Live in Tonic 2001. Can't really talk about this one too much, it's amazing.
Steely Dan...Gaucho. Emerged from under a pile of cd's when I tidied my room this week, a nice surprise. Don't know why people diss this one so much, 's a good album.
H3O...The Sea Org. Think this is crap. Still haven't found one of their albums to compare with Fuck.
Morton Feldman...Patterns in a chromatic field. Good album, more hard-assed than his other stuff.
Moondog...first few albums. Love his lyrics, love his singing, love the way he plays percussion. Got two double albums, it seems to me that as his ensemble got larger, the music diluted slightly. But only slightly.
Josephine Foster & the Supposed...All The Leaves Are Gone. Deadly Jefferson Airplane/psychedelia influenced rock tunes from an amazing woman.
Bob Dylan...Blonde on Blonde & Paul Simon...Rhythm Of The Saints. Hard to fault either of these two albums. And why would you want to?
Magma...singles compilation. Amazing French jazzy prog, best prog band ever, bar none.

Lots of other stuff but that's what's keeping the boat afloat for the last couple of weeks...planning to pull Maiden's Live After Death out again this weekend, also found during the excavation of my room.

chutneyfarmer said:
Sufjan Stevens - Illinois: Just a beautiful record. The more I listen to it, the more I love it. The arrangements are just amazing! The track about John Wayne Gacy has to be one of the most beutiful songs ever written.

The first track that really stood out for me, what a song. Smashin album.

chutneyfarmer said:
Arcade Fire - Funeral: Really didn't like this album at first. The singer's voice kinda annoyed me. Still, I kinda liked what they were doing in terms of arrangement and production so I stuck with it and I'm glad I did. This is probably the best record I've heard this year, hands down.

This is getting better with every listen, since released e.p isn't floating my boat half as much though

snap-apple said:
Super Furry Animals - Love Kraft
Onny listened to this very quickly yesterday, early impressions are that they spent alot of time on the construction of the tunes and the overall sound is mellow and lush. On first listening it's maybe missing that little bit of personality that's on most of their records, but I get the idea its a grower.

Have never listened to much SFA, but I will say that this record is in my CD player alot now, a grower is right

Trespassers William - Different Stars

Bought this on a whim, has some really lovely tracks on it especially "vapour trail". Nice stuff.

Burgerbarbaby said:
H3O...The Sea Org. Think this is crap. Still haven't found one of their albums to compare with Fuck.

the first two tracks of "the sea org" are quite nice, but the rest of it is dull. "fuck" is ok (what a great photo on the cover!) but not a patch on "masturbatorium", which is stunning, imho. "kill the king" and "how to slice a loaf of bread" are the best albums i would say.

snap-apple said:
Stars of the Lid - The Ballasted Orchestra
Sleepy time. Just thought as I saw a few ambient recommendations further up that I'd say this is my favourite and regularly comes out for a spin.

my personal favourite is still "the tired sounds of...". if you like this stuff, i highly highly highly recommend the work of Mirror. in particular, "visiting star", "mirror of the sea" and "eye of the storm". utterly blissful stuff.

Stina Nordenstam - The World Has Turned
Deadly nice tunes, enticing voice

Cranes - EP Collection 2CD
Deadly nice tunes, enticing voice part 2

Godflesh - Slavestate
Way ahead of it's time

Swans - Swans Are Dead 2CD
Nice mixture of mellow and rockin' live stuff

Vector Lovers - Vector Lovers
Came along at the same time as the glut of AI, Toytronic, Spezialmaterial type people but has stuck with me for some reason. Very nice melodic electronica

Sunn0))) - Grimmrobe Demos
My Sunn0))) of choice for the week

Nurse With Wound / Cyclobe - Angry Eelectric Finger
Just deadly

Fleetwood Mac - Greatest Hits
All the classics from the early days like Oh Well, Green Manalishi, and my personal fave Dragonfly (he rested there upon an apple leeeeeeeaf, a gorgeous opal crown sat on his heeeeeeead etc etc). Must admit reading some Mac related stuff in previous posts swayed me to root this one out.

Sonic Violence - Transfixion
Nifty not so well known industrial bunch from the late 80's early 90's, a bit like a cross between Headbutt and God

Painkiller - Guts Of A Virgin
Lots of squealing sax, demented shrieking and trademark Mick Harris splatterbeats.

The Necks - Silent Night
Long, repetitive, slow, ie deadly

Caustic Dames - Estrogen Glitta
Pretty heavy female rap krew

jackofficer said:
Nurse With Wound / Cyclobe - Angry Eelectric Finger
Just deadly

oh yes, amaaaaaaaaaaazing. so trippy. all the eelectric fingers are great, but this one is very special. have you heard cyclobe's "the visitors"? stunning, possibly the most hallucinogenic music i have heard.

Brian Conniffe said:
my personal favourite is still "the tired sounds of...". if you like this stuff, i highly highly highly recommend the work of Mirror. in particular, "visiting star", "mirror of the sea" and "eye of the storm". utterly blissful stuff.

ta! have just ordered some mirror, steve reich, hafler trio and other stuff from forcedexposure.com. they better be good now ;)

snap-apple said:
ta! have just ordered some mirror, steve reich, hafler trio and other stuff from forcedexposure.com. they better be good now ;)

What Reich did you order?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back