let's yak about the choonz (2 Viewers)

Lord Damian said:
Neil Young - "Tonight's the Night" - rough and tumble brilliance

Yes Yes Yes.
Honey slides, they were on, apart from the tequila and such. As far as I can tell, that's like flapjacks with added DRUGS.
The 'Shakey' biography is a great read, and "On the Beach" is like an angrier, more coherent "Tonight's the Night" in some ways. You'll laaaaaave it.

nlgbbbblth said:
Fleetwood Mac - Tusk. (2xLP) - this rarely leaves my turntable. Fucked up shit.

Yeah, keep meaning to get this, but I want it on vinyl so I guess I'll have to eBay it. FM was the other band I tried to foist on Beetle..back, so now that the Boss has sunk in, maybe that's next....
:p

GrRrrrR said:
Yeah, keep meaning to get this, but I want it on vinyl so I guess I'll have to eBay it. FM was the other band I tried to foist on Beetle..back, so now that the Boss has sunk in, maybe that's next....
:p

saw it second hand in town not so long ago, possibly Spin Dizzy or Borderline.

The remastered double CD version has the full version of Sara that naturally features on the vinyl but was edited on the original CD pressing (due to 74 min running times back then).

slayer - reign in blood (usually at the very least once a week for the rest of my life)
yes - fragile / close to the edge (unreal)
dawn of the dead - unrealeased soundtrack music from... (i've posted 2 links to mp3s from this and nobody cared - some of my favourite music of all time)
black sabbath - any - duh
hairy chapter - can't get through / eyes (i got born 20 years too late, man)
sir lord baltimore - s/t (research and destroy)
v/a - chocolate soup for diabetics vol 3 (having money allows me buy psyche comps)
edgar winter - 'frankenstien' (this song is almost as scarey as dinosaurs)

Alan Remorse said:
Labradford - Mi Media Naradja: one of my all time favourites, i'll never get bored of this album

this album is fucking amazing. heartbreakingly beautiful at points (the third and first tracks particularly). certainly my favourite of all theirs, and i may even go so far as to say it is possibly their best.

beetleonitsback said:
autechre & the hafler trio - aeo3 & 3hae (die stadt)

crazily fancy packaging - constellation eat your heart out! the music is mostly processed found sound and the like. i haven't properly listened to it - anyone else get it yet? some of it is like listening to fridges humming and all, but this stuff reveals itself over time; i'll get back to you on it...

aye, have this one. the packaging is wonderful (all the h3o packaging is amazing and unique though... if only more artists put this much thought into the visual / artifact side of their works) but it took me about a week to put it back together after opening it. the individual bits wouldnt even fit into the plastic bag it comes in, which appears to be defying physics in some way. thanks to the farmer of chutney for informing me of the solution to this prediciment.

as for the music of it, well i'm not that hot on it to be honest. i don't much like what autechre does, i'm afraid to admit. it works nicely as background music, but its just not engaging enough for me, even as ambient music. i cant imagine playing it all that often, besides its almost too much hassle to get the fecking cds into and out of the case! still, worth it for the packaging i would say.

far more successful as drone / ambient music from the recent h3o stuff was "exactly as i do", the second double cd album (of a trilogy!) constructed from the voice of jonsi birrigsson, singer of sigur ros (another project i have no interest in: it all sounds too much like enya for me!). this album is excellent however, really ghostly stuff. the sounds are barely recognisable as human voice, much less recognisable as birrigssons (i'm sure i've mispelt his name, fuck it). this trilogy is part of a "voice" series by the hafler trio. previous ones have been based on the voices of blixa bargeld of einstruzende neubauten (a boring release, i must say), david tibet of current 93 (superb), and upcoming ones are based on the sounds of michael gira, steve severin, bruce gilbert, and laurie anderson. i find the concept very interesting, the idea of working someones voice into the most abstract and different sounds while still trying to keep the essence of the person's characteristics intact. dont know if it's all that successful in this regard, but some of it is very compelling and interesting. all of these releases come in similar, but especially wonderful packaging.

but the best hafler trio album must be "kill the king", which i spotted copies of in tower records recently. this is the h3o pinnacle, and i would recommend it to fans of abstract, drone and ambient music.

over the last few days, i have pretty much only been listening to stuff by my two very favourite "groups": Nurse With Wound and Coil, as i have been putting together cdrs of what i think is their best stuff for Oh Shit and Zeelander respectively. considering the amount of albums they have both released, and the amazing variety and quality of their work, i wasn't able to narrow a retrospective for both down to anything less than four cdrs for each. what a pleasure it would be to hear this stuff again for the first time, my god. in for a treat they are.

other than that though i have been immersed in:

irr. app. (ext.): drone works no. 10. fucking hell, absolutely amazing. instantly one of my favourite pieces of music ever.

v/a (but mostly mulatu astatke): ethiopiques vol. 4: ethio jazz et musique instrumentale 1969 - 1974. an ethiopian take on jazz, swing, blues and rock 'n' roll, but retaining the ethiopian "sound". all instrumental. all breathtaking. i cannot recommend this collection highly enough, especially to anyone remotely interested in dub or the instrumental side of roots reggae. once again, absolutely amazing, and once again, instantly one of my favourite albums ever.

paul robeson: collections, and "songs of the free man recital". "lazy bones", "swing low sweet chariot" and of course "old man river" are my favourites. life-affirming and absolutely wonderful.

screamin' jay hawkins: "at home with..." and various collections. my favourites are "frenzy" and "temptation". what a voice.

billie holiday: various collections. also: "strange fruit" remixed by tricky. only recently came across this one, didnt know what to make of it all at first, but have come to enjoy it quite a bit.

death in june: "brown book", "the wall of sacrifice" and "1888". ok ok ok. to say this stuff has politically dodgy content is an understatement of a massive kind. also, an awful lot of their stuff is absolute shite. but they do have a couple of moments which are excellent, taken purely on musical terms. "break the black ice" is a great pop song (although only for the rose mcdowall vocal version, the album version with douglas p singing is appalling), as are "to drown a rose" and "fall apart".

the arcade fire: "funeral". not music i would ordinarilly like at all, but i really really enjoy it. still havent listened to the whole album: i usually just skip to "rebellion (lies)" and listen to that over and over. for some reason of think of the pixies cross-bred with the beach boys with strings, although that might just be me.

The Books - The Lemon of Pink
Weezer - Make Believe
The Wedding Present - Bizarro
Polysics - Neu!
Deerhoof - The Runners Four

0018-7_big.gif

0021-2_big.gif

Yes. Lets.

Was up working till the wee hours this morning,first time in ages. Had Dineen on the raadio an i thought the fresh air section was fantastic; Brian Eno an Jah Wobble, (who i'd never heard) and loads of other similarly veined stuff. Revitalising the music collection this week; any tips would be most welcome.
And what's the deal with getting playlists off radio D.J's? Have you seen this, have you heard about this? How does one do that?

Wilbert introduced me to Stars last week, love some of their songs, not so hot on others, they're playing Saturday. Arcade Fire also yum. And the usual: Jim O'Rourke, Sufjan, Wilco, Grandaddy blah blah wimpy American indie that I like.

I've been checking out a lot of stoney/droney rock stuff ... like

Boris - The One With The Cover Like The Nick Drake Album
I like this a lot. Starts off all weird/drumless and droney and then starts really rockin after a while.

Sleep - Dopesmoker
I've had this for quite a while but didn't really get into it at first. I now find listening at full blast in the car does the trick. Someone remind me why its sometimes called Jerusalem? Dopesmoker is a reissue of Jerusalem is that right? Are they different?

Sunn(()) - White 1 and 2
Not too sure about these lads. Really enjoyed their gig and dig the whole concept of it but ..... listening to a whole album all the way through is a bit ... tedious. Though the narrated bit with Julian Cope is fantastically spooky. Maybe it'll grow on me.

Goatsnake - Dunno what its called.
This has one of the guys from Sunn I think. Enjoying this big-time. Fairly metal but also has that Southern Rock vibe about it too. Who are Black Oak Arkansas?

Earthless - Earthless
Heard this in Road and bought it. Drummer from Hot Snakes and two other dudes. Two long rock-out instrumentals with great guitar solo action more of less all the way through. Deadly.

a lot of modest mouse at the moment. i go back and forth to this but at the moment 'never-ending maths equation' and 'ocean breathes salty' and 'please bury me with it' are floating my boat.

gary higgins red hash - whatever the first track is called. it keeps on saying "what do you plan to do with your life, where do you plan to go?" and i'm like "fuck off gary i haven't fucking decided yet." lovely choon tho.

heatmiser mic city sons - such a lost classic mainly cos elliott smith got bigger and heatmiser broke up right around the time this was released. a fucking 5 star gem, twelve tracks, every single one is killer, but especially 'plainclothes man', 'see you later', 'fix is in', 'blue highway', 'not half right'

bright eyes digital ash in a digital urn - better than i thought when it came out. i like conor oberst. think he's good. can't get some of these tunes out of my head.

could never get into tonights the night like i did on the beach, after the goldrush, harvest, rust never sleeps tho one of my mates keeps trying to convince me its the best neil young album.

Van Halen- deadly

Van Halen 2- deadly

Women and children first- deadly

Fair warning- deadly

Diver down- deadly

1984- deadly........... then its the hagar years.. FUCK YOU HAGAR!!!

Climb up my skyscraper...eat 'em and smile!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.|..| .|..|

coast to coast said:
gary higgins red hash - whatever the first track is called. it keeps on saying "what do you plan to do with your life, where do you plan to go?" and i'm like "fuck off gary i haven't fucking decided yet." lovely choon tho.

thicker than a smokery

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back