let's yak about the choonz (1 Viewer)

Latex lizzie said:
i bought this the other day and never need to listen to any other record ever again.

it is the most beautiful music that man has ever made.

Disagree. Why the Cooders et al were allowed to dick around with the duo recordings is beyond me. Worse than the Frank Patterson/John McCormack duos from a few years back.

J.

lets see. nlgbbblth's folk mix is getting a lot of play by everyone in the house, the two josephines (foster&baker), devendra banhart, kraftwerk, the fall and whatever happens to be next to or in the cd player in the kitchen while feeding myself.

Anja Lechner/Vassilis Tsabropoulos - Chants, Hymns & Dances (the music of G.I. Gurdjieff) CD (ECM)

John Vanderslice - Pixel Revolt CD (Barsuk)
Believer Magazine CD Comp.
Fall Out Boy - From Under The Cork Tree CD

A CDR I made of string drones with Ultrasound, Kirk Laktas, Ekkehard Ehlers, SOTL & Andrew Deutsch.

Chicago Transit Authority - s/t 2LP

Akira Rabelais - Elongated Pentagonal Pyramid CD (Ritornell)
Bjork - Drawing Restraint 9 OST - LP (One Little Indian)

James Blackshaw - Celeste CDR
Sir Richard Bishop - Salvador Kali CD (Revenant)

fight.gif

Justin Toner said:
Anja Lechner/Vassilis Tsabropoulos - Chants, Hymns & Dances (the music of G.I. Gurdjieff) CD (ECM)

What's this like? I've been reading about his music and dance for years.

hugh said:
I've been checking out a lot of stoney/droney rock stuff ... like

Boris - The One With The Cover Like The Nick Drake Album
I like this a lot. Starts off all weird/drumless and droney and then starts really rockin after a while.

Sleep - Dopesmoker
I've had this for quite a while but didn't really get into it at first. I now find listening at full blast in the car does the trick. Someone remind me why its sometimes called Jerusalem? Dopesmoker is a reissue of Jerusalem is that right? Are they different?

Sunn(()) - White 1 and 2
Not too sure about these lads. Really enjoyed their gig and dig the whole concept of it but ..... listening to a whole album all the way through is a bit ... tedious. Though the narrated bit with Julian Cope is fantastically spooky. Maybe it'll grow on me.

Goatsnake - Dunno what its called.
This has one of the guys from Sunn I think. Enjoying this big-time. Fairly metal but also has that Southern Rock vibe about it too. Who are Black Oak Arkansas?

Earthless - Earthless
Heard this in Road and bought it. Drummer from Hot Snakes and two other dudes. Two long rock-out instrumentals with great guitar solo action more of less all the way through. Deadly.

The Goatsnake record you are listening to is "Trampled under Hoof".Black Oak Arkansas are a 70's rock band from,wait for it,Black Oak in Arkansas.

There is some cool stories about them knocking around about them.They used to live in a compound you could only get to by plane and stuff.They grew all their own weed their and used to fly planes around binned.

Their music is hit and miss though,some of its amazing and some not so good though.

Sounds like your on a total southern Lord buzz though,no bad thing.|..|

Dopesmoker is like an uncut version of Jerusalum.Check out Holy Mountain aswell.One the best "stoner rock",for want of a better term,records ever.

ah man hugh - if i knew you were into that shit when you were lecturing me, we could have gone smoked bifters at lunch everyday

bong%2020.jpg

Rogerio Duprat - A Banda Tropicalista do Duprat
Skygreen Leopards - One Thousand Bird Ceremony
Faust - The Faust Tapes
Sufjan Stevens - Illinois

chickenham said:
What's this like? I've been reading about his music and dance for years.

Just got it yesterday. Cello/piano duos. These arrangements are based on the original T.A. de Hartmann transcriptions. Eastern/Sufi-tinged. Booklet essay looks like it might shed some light. As might next week's Lechner/Tsabropoulis gig in Liberty Hall, opening for Louis Sclavis' Napoli's Walls quartet.

Dunno how it compares to the recent Gurdjieff box on Basta which I haven't yet heard, though I believe that's all harmonium work, including one 10-hour mp3 disc!

J.

Justin Toner said:
Disagree. Why the Cooders et al were allowed to dick around with the duo recordings is beyond me. Worse than the Frank Patterson/John McCormack duos from a few years back.

J.

Some georgebush docked me rep and told me I was "so wrong". Disagree, but don't dictate. I wouldn't be so cheesed if there was a duo version of the album available. Do you really think TD and AFT were told beforehand that "Ry will be sprinkling a little magic dust over these sessions once you're done"? Bollox to that. The contributions of Cooder, et al, make this the coffee-table album of the year, along with Antony, Magic Numbers and whatever cac Universal jazz deem fit to foist uopn the Tuareg-drivers of this world.

J.

Justin Toner said:
Some georgebush docked me rep and told me I was "so wrong". Disagree, but don't dictate. I wouldn't be so cheesed if there was a duo version of the album available. Do you really think TD and AFT were told beforehand that "Ry will be sprinkling a little magic dust over these sessions once you're done"? Bollox to that. The contributions of Cooder, et al, make this the coffee-table album of the year, along with Antony, Magic Numbers and whatever cac Universal jazz deem fit to foist uopn the Tuareg-drivers of this world.

J.
jayzuz i wish i knew what all that meant. does babelfish do wire-magazine-to-english?

Justin Toner said:

J.

I'd be very surprised if Cooder's involvement was unknown to either Toure or Diabate. After all, Cooder and Toure had collaborated beforehand (1994's Talking Timbuktu), so it wouldn't surprise me one bit (although I don't have proof) if Toure himself had asked Cooder to participate.

Besides, you yourself admit there's no duo recording available to compare the finished product with, so I think it's a bit disingenuous to claim that Cooder somehow "ruined" it with his post-production piano contributions.

If you don't like it, fine. But instead of insulting everyone who does like it and other things you don't, you might just accept that tastes differ. Disagree, but don't dictate, I think you said.

Paul

photon said:
I'd be very surprised if Cooder's involvement was unknown to either Toure or Diabate. After all, Cooder and Toure had collaborated beforehand (1994's Talking Timbuktu), so it wouldn't surprise me one bit (although I don't have proof) if Toure himself had asked Cooder to participate.

Besides, you yourself admit there's no duo recording available to compare the finished product with, so I think it's a bit disingenuous to claim that Cooder somehow "ruined" it with his post-production piano contributions.

If you don't like it, fine. But instead of insulting everyone who does like it and other things you don't, you might just accept that tastes differ. Disagree, but don't dictate, I think you said.

Paul

t3cb50036.jpg

quasiquasi said:
Faust - The Faust Tapes
any good? only have faust 4, but i'm thinking of covering "jennifer" as my next b-side (as long as powter doesn't beat me to it).

photon said:

Paul

I'm really sorry if I insulted anyone. The jibe was directed at Tuareg drivers. Sorry if you are one.

It's the principle of taking spontaneous, improvised recordings and overdubbing post-facto with which I disagree (hence the Patterson/McCormack reference. Could easily have used Nat King & Nathalie Cole). If the Cooders, Cachaito, &c. had been in the studio, that's different.

The difference between this and e.g. Magic Numbers, is that this seems designed to appeal to the Three-CDs-per-year crowd. Antony can't help it if Q magazine gets all wet about him - he certainly seemed embarassed last night.

Cooders' participation was at the behest of Nick Gold.

J., disagreeing.

Justin Toner said:
The difference between this and e.g. Magic Numbers, is that this seems designed to appeal to the Three-CDs-per-year crowd. Antony can't help it if Q magazine gets all wet about him - he certainly seemed embarassed last night.

would those 3 cd's be:

coldplay
u2
killers

or

kasier chiefs
keane
kassabian

or

devendra banhart
joanna newsom
espers

or

magic numbers
kings of leon
antony johnson

Autolux - Future Perfect
Not knowing too much Sonic Youth I imagine this is in the ballpark tunes-wise. Possibly overproduced, but rockin.

65 days of static - The Fall Of Math
Wow, eh think angry Mogwai go electro. If you're over the whole instrumental rock thing then forget about it but otherwise it rocks.

Super Furry Animals - Love Kraft
Onny listened to this very quickly yesterday, early impressions are that they spent alot of time on the construction of the tunes and the overall sound is mellow and lush. On first listening it's maybe missing that little bit of personality that's on most of their records, but I get the idea its a grower.

Halfset - Dramanalog
This gets popped on quite regularly. Lovely, eh, folktronica (I'm not mad about that word but we're talking keys, light beats and banjos here).

Tom Vek - We Have Sound
Starts great but loses his way a bit. Sort of a stipped down English version of Beck.

Stars of the Lid - The Ballasted Orchestra
Sleepy time. Just thought as I saw a few ambient recommendations further up that I'd say this is my favourite and regularly comes out for a spin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back